The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 AM

Someone started the same discussion on delcamp.net. It looks like two luthiers responded.

http://www.delcamp.us/viewtopic.php?...=49970&start=0

If you do a search there, you'll find some older topics where it was discussed at length. In a nutshell, they're not needed.

Of course, one should buy according to one's perceived needs and level of comfort. If you think helps, then get it.

I live in the SF Bay Area and haven't yet had the swings upwards in humidity affect the playability of my classical and flamenco guitars although they have slightly affected the tone of some. I have a humidifier in my study but not a dehumidifier. Indoor humidity can be notably different from outdoor humidity.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the link to the Delcamp forum. I was not even aware of its existence. Nice to have another resource. Regarding humidity in the SF Bay area, I think it's hard to get a definitive number. Whenever I do a search on "San Francisco, Relative Humidity", it comes up with very different values. The one constant, however, is that the relative humidity is EXTREMELY high. Add to that the fact that I live in a little studio apartment, and the whole equation becomes a bit more ornery: My guitars live on a guitar stand, for easy access. But if I so much as BOIL PASTA in my place, the whole apartment gets humid. When I emerge from the shower, the steam dissipates through the apartment, making it even more humid (I avoid taking showers & boiling pasta at the same time). These things, coupled with the already excessive relative humidity of San Francisco, pretty much mean that I live underwater. It's pretty clear to me now that I need to take my guitars off the stand (Darnit! I just BOUGHT that stand!), and keep them in their cases. And invest in a de-humidifier. This starts TODAY (assuming I haven't damaged them beyond repair already by just keeping them out).

Synthesizers are a lot easier to take care of, man...
Old 05-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Well, my understanding is that the dried woods of a guitar won't react instantaneously.

You may want to buy an inexpensive but fairly accurate hygrometer (check Oasis) to see how your indoor humidity really varies. Stick it to the wall and monitor it for a week.

This afternoon's indoor RH is 44% with a temperature of 77F (53% and 66F outside).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical