The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Default nylon string recommendation

I have decided to enter the nylon string arena and would ask for recommendations.

-prefer new but not an absolute
-the larger fret board and string spacing are non-issues
-budget-$2000 - $5000 "out the door, delivered"
-preference for a cedar top, double-top may be OK
-back and side tonewoods by recommendation
-not really interested in on-board electronics

I have been considering : Hill Signiture Model It's a little outside my budget
Jose Ramirez 125 Anos More budget friendly

I would sincerely appreciate your thoughtful responses.

Scott
Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Musical minimalist

Jim at Trinity has a 125 annos used....

http://www.trinityguitars.com/steelstr/used/frame.htm

The recording of this Cervantes at Dream haunts me....

http://www.dreamguitars.com/preowned...pe_4-08-12.php

and if your preference is Cedar....this one sure looks nice!!

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/33580/33580.php

Old 04-29-2010, 09:11 PM

Wow! Nice budget and huge investment. The two guitars you mentioned are quite different in terms of quality and price, the Ramirez being outsourced to a Spanish factory and the Hill being made under Kenny's direct supervision in CA. I would pose this question at the AGM forum's classical corner where they live and breathe classical guitars. Have a conversation with someone over at Guitar Salon International or Trilogy guitars. Speak with Luthiers in your price range,. That being said Kenny hill makes fine guitars, I owned one, and you may be very happy with one of his Master series guitars. Consider used. Happy hunting!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:12 PM

Kenny Hill's Signature is one powerhouse of a guitar. His top of the line. He has others a step or two down, that are great, as well, that would fit into your price bracket.

http://www.hillguitar.com/

Matt Mustapick builds a cross over and a concert classical, both exceptional guitars.

http://www.mustapickguitars.com/

I've always been impressed by Randy Reynolds' classicals. He builds some double tops, as well, and they would not be drowned out by a Martin D28 flatpicked.

http://www.reynoldsguitars.com/

Tom Prisloe is building a classical for a friend of mine. I have had one of his Hauser style models since 1996. Outstanding guitars, if just a little out of your price range.

http://www.classicalguitarbuilder.com/

Tom also has an import line called Pavan that has always had great reviews. They are at the low to mid of your range.

http://www.pavanguitars.com/

That's a few suggestions. What style of music are you going to play on it? Maybe we can get more specific with close suiting recommendations.

Nice place to be in, ready for a new guitar.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:36 AM

I would like to start taking lessons in Jazz, primarily.

Has anyone seen/played either Avalon's A10J or Lowden's S25J?

I realize these companies are primarily known for their steel-string guitars and some think it is foolish to buy a NS from a SS company; yet, they do make fine guitars.

Thanx for your responses.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
I would like to start taking lessons in Jazz, primarily.

Has anyone seen/played either Avalon's A10J or Lowden's S25J?

I realize these companies are primarily known for their steel-string guitars and some think it is foolish to buy a NS from a SS company; yet, they do make fine guitars.

Thanx for your responses.
I haven't played an Avalon nylon string but have played Lowden's S25J. For quite some time, before I played the Lowden S25J, I wanted one very badly. Loved the shape, the look, the cutaway, and I love Lowden steel strings, and own one. When I finally had the chance to play an S25J, my lust for it went away, just like that. Acoustically, it's pretty quiet. Plays nice and feels good. I liked the neck. The sound was underwhelming. It's a heavily built nylon. It sounds great plugged in. But unplugged it's pretty dead, compared to a fine classical.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
I haven't played an Avalon nylon string but have played Lowden's S25J. For quite some time, before I played the Lowden S25J, I wanted one very badly. Loved the shape, the look, the cutaway, and I love Lowden steel strings, and own one. When I finally had the chance to play an S25J, my lust for it went away, just like that. Acoustically, it's pretty quiet. Plays nice and feels good. I liked the neck. The sound was underwhelming. It's a heavily built nylon. It sounds great plugged in. But unplugged it's pretty dead, compared to a fine classical.
Perhaps that is why they only offer it in an electrified version??? Would you suspect the Avalon to be as heavily built?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:09 AM

Anyone with info regarding the Cervantes Millenia?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:11 AM

For jazz, I would recommend a Cervantes Crossover 1. These can be found at Dream Guitars, Gryphon Stringed Instruments, or 12th Fret, & Music Emporium.

Earl Klugh plays a Paul McGill. I had a long conversation with him about his guitar recently. He loves it, and it does sound great. Try Guitar Gallery, or Dream Guitars, Gruhn Guitars, or Cotten Music for Paul McGill Guitars.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
Anyone with info regarding the Cervantes Millenia?
Redcloud,

I believe Dream Guitars has a used Cervantes Millenia for sale at the moment. Give Paul a call and talk to him about it, he'll give you a straight story. I bought my Applegate from him. He gave me a very honest story on the guitar and treated me right.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-30-2010, 09:44 AM

I have owned one of Lowden's nylon jazz guitars and agree more or less with David's observation. I now own a Wechter nylon Florentine Elite cutaway and would recommend it very highly, as a jazz guitar that also sounds wonderful acoustically. I also own a fine Raggianti concert classical and can tell you that the Wechter holds it's own with that instrument. My Wechter is a world class Jazz guitar. I may start a thread about it to extoll it's virtues. Although mine is over 13 yaers old I would think Abe is still involved in their construction and would make a fine guitar to your specs and within your budget. They rarely come up for sale used too. There are many fine makers out there that will make you a guitar within your budget.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:40 PM

Thanx so much for your responses.

I think I will take some time and perhaps lurk on the DeClamp forum in order to find the one that really stands out. I don't want to make a rash purchase as like to hold on to the things I buy.

Elderly Music isn't too far from me in NW Ohio. An opportunity to get personal with a few instrumwents in my price range will help sort it out and also a lot more research will help. There are so many makers; it is kind of daunting, but fun!

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical