The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-30-2008, 06:07 AM

More pics of the Fullerton

Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
For what it's worth, I started with an Ovation Celebrity. It has the same pick-up as the higher end Ovation MM-68 (what I have now), and can be had used for around 300 bucks with a hardshell case. It had good volume acoustically, it could take a beating, and I lowered the action until it was quite comfortable to play. (Just take shims from under the bridge.) If you plan on plugging in, it's hard to beat these for this price. And when you decide to upgrade (which took me all of ten months), you can sell it for what you have in it. If you want to spend a little more, the aforementioned top-end Ovation MM-68 can be had for less than 700 used. There's not a better mando out there for that price IMHO.
I've got one of them too to go with the Tacomas. It all started when my Gibson A-40 was taken from a job site several months ago and I needed to find a stage replacement. Since I already had an Ovation mandocello and liked it a lot I went with a very good deal on an MCS-148 (Celebrity) and after a fairly extensive setup including neck adjustments and fret leveling it plays extremely well and the amplified sound from the OP-24 preamp is unmatched. The problem for me is that the nut width just too thin and the neck radius too small to play for long periods. Another negative is that only Adamas makes ball end mandolin strings, but you can always make your own sets. They are great mandolins for the price however and I'll be keeping mine at least through the summer for some folk instrument sessions I'll be running.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccasey View Post
Wow. As usual, lots of helpful replies ... in a short amount of time! Although I love Irish music, my intention playing-wise is to learn some Bluegrass, which is also what I'm mostly trying to play on the guitar these days, so I'll take that into consideration in following up on your recommendations. Sounds like a Kentucky (at the lower end) or an Eastman would be a good place to start. I'll check out the madolin cafe site as suggested, as well.

Thanks a bunch.
Chris
If you're interest is bluegrass then an F shaped archtop is the best way to go...you need projection with no overtones for the chop chording. An Eastman 515 or 615 would be great.

Last edited by JohnZ; 04-30-2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: text
Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 AM

Nobody in bluegrass NEEDS an F-shaped mandolin (see Tim O'Brian's Nuggett for example). What they need is a carved top mandolin with f-holes. This is a huge misunderstanding that is based soley on the tradition of the early boys playing old Gibsons where the only one with f-holes just happened to be Florentine (other then the Loar A-5 - he made only one or two of those).

I have an A5 Flatiron (with f-holes) that'll stand against any F5 out there.

Now that I said that, nothing wrong with looking at either F-shaped or A-shaped mandolins - just get one with f-holes if you're playing bluegrass and want the chop.

f-d
Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 PM

I totally agree with Fatt-Dad! You really don't need a F-style mando with a carved top and F-holes to play good bluegrass. But, like the Dreadnaught guitar, it has become the standard for a number of bluegrass players. I have seen and heard players that use A-style mandos with F-holes that project and sound great. I own a K-body Breedlove McKenzie with a carved top and F-holes that, in the hands of a good player, would be a nice little bluegrass mando....just not in my hands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments