The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2022, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Okay, I'm kind of slow sometimes but can you purchase a neck from Klos to attach to your Klos guitar body? This would end your neck concern, wouldn't it? The only all-wooden neck that I feel would meet your climate-extremes "woodern-neck" criteria would be an Ovation Adamas resin-impregnated Walnut neck/fingerboard which may not fit your Klos body. Then again, any neck from Warmoth would be okay if you can moderate your guitar's exposure to temperature/humidity extremes.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-11-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 05:33 PM

What about an aluminum neck from EGC or similar? I have several of them on electric guitars and love them.
Old 09-11-2022, 05:42 PM

Thanks SpruceTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Okay, I'm kind of slow sometimes but can you purchase a neck from Klos to attach to your Klos guitar body? This would end your neck concern, wouldn't it? .
Too narrow for me.

Quote:
Ovation
I have never liked a single ovation product... partly because of the painfully narrow necks.... also the dead muffled plastic sound and feel.

Quote:
Then again, any neck from Warmoth would be okay if you can moderate your guitar's exposure to temperature/humidity extremes.
Ok. I agree. I just want to select the most RH and Temp tolerant wood that is not on a CITE appendix or IUCN RedList..... bonus if it has alluring grain or color.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:27 AM

so far:
-I see wood websites mention bocote for shipbuilding but i see no shipbuilding resources confirming this. Bridge blanks are available.
-Purpleheart was used for keels, garrboards, framing. pretty for a "few" years then it turns brown. Saddle blanks available and i have some off something i made for my brother's boat. Unfinished. Still purple after 10 years (the wrong grain for a bridge).
-Rosewood is oily (good for RH swings), and as Osage said, likely the most resistant to cracks in large temperature or moisture swings. is Pau Ferro also? it too is oily and not on CITES.
-I have always liked the feel and sound of ebony more than rosewood. Sadly these were the only two i used when i was building instruments, so my wood experience is is limited. Keep in mind, this was pre-internet.
-Ebony might be prone to crack but this is not from a reliable resource just many people online.... many ebony fretboards lasted decades on boats i assume.
-most my fav guitars have been jumbo cedartop with only oil finish. So bright ebony fretboard is balanced with bassy body. This Klos is a parlor sized body or maybe even smaller. CarbonFiber. So choosing a fretboard that carries more lows is maybe wise. maybe?
-Canary is too soft per The_Bard_Rocks
-Ziricote is sensitive to RH change especially with figured webbing which is the whole point.
-this might be a good time to try something unconventional like Bocote, Wenge as it is a cheap project and warmoth is building it, not me.

Still reading about how volumetric vs tangential vs radial swelling translates to propensity to crack. Also how modules of elasticity, modulus of rupture, janka hardness all fit in.

Last edited by cadmus; 09-12-2022 at 04:05 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
realtive humidity, temp, temperature, travel guitar