The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 09:14 AM

Default Dry Climate living

Hello. I live in Palm Springs CA which has a very dry climate. I like to keep my acoustic out on a stand with a sponge humidifier inserted. Since the guitar is not kept in a case do you think the sponge humidifier actually helps? I would like to buy a higher quality acoustic but I want to keep it out on a stand so I pick it up daily; however, I’m concerned about the dry climate. Any thoughts? I appreciate any help you can provide. Take Care Brian
Old 06-02-2023, 09:37 AM

Well, the device certainly help and maybe you could insert two…

If you have a music room, hanging a wet towel or laundry would help.

Ultimately, a room humidifier.

Any how, a hygrometer, any cheap one, is mandatory.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:37 AM

TLDR: I wouldn't chance it.

Do you have a whole house humidifier? What's the measured relative humidity in the room where they're kept? If it's <35% that's asking a lot of a soundhole humidifier. I live next door in San Diego and also like to keep my guitars out. I have several hygrometers in the room and I keep an eye on them. I have a stand alone humidifier which I run when the humidity dips below 40% but when there's a Santa Ana blowing (wind from inland/desert) it can't keep up. Then, I move the guitars into a walk in closet that I maintain around 45-50% by hanging a damp T shirt. I still run the humidifier so when I drag one out I'm not playing it in 20% humidity for an hour or two. I guess you could get a glass display case to display your guitars when you're not playing them.

Good Luck!

Scott
Old 06-02-2023, 09:48 AM

It sounds like step one is getting a hygrometer.

Thank you for the advice.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilama View Post
Hello. I live in Palm Springs CA which has a very dry climate. I like to keep my acoustic out on a stand with a sponge humidifier inserted. Since the guitar is not kept in a case do you think the sponge humidifier actually helps? I would like to buy a higher quality acoustic but I want to keep it out on a stand so I pick it up daily; however, I’m concerned about the dry climate. Any thoughts? I appreciate any help you can provide. Take Care Brian
Having lived in a dry climate for almost 50 years --Honestly (No) I don't think a sponge humidifier will be of much actual help

And IMO a simple hygrometer in that situation will be of little help, given it will tell you the humidity at it's specific location only ..

Seems to me your alternatives are

#1 cheapest and easiest = simply put the guitar in the case after every time you play it with a couple Oasis type humidifiers
The "guitar out" notion is noting more than a habit, which is easily changed and having it in the case is not a deterrent to plying it, which is also nothing more than habit

#2 get a portable one room humidifier (may have on board hygrometer) and or get a hygrometer you can position close to the guitar

#3 most expensive = whole house humidifier

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-02-2023 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

You have some VERY GOOD advice above.

I too live in the high western desert country and have never had a guitar crack or top sink.

I keep humidipaks inside of the cases and a whole-room humidifier running in my guitar room. And I have a hygrometer for each case and one out in the room, which keeps check on my whole-room humidifier's integrated hygrometer. Using the whole-room humidifier allows the Humidipaks to last a very long time. I use them to maintain a constant 47% inside the cases when they are closed.

I tend to keep them in their cases, but when I do choose to leave them out on stands, I never worry about it. I never worry about playing them for hours in that room, which happens to have the best acoustics, and outside view room in the house.

The humidity in the rooms of my house outside of my guitar room tends to stay around 30-35%, which would put guitars at risk over time. In Summer with AC running a lot, it drops lower than 30%. Certain damage if guitars were left out over time.

I have too much invested in guitars for the risk. Consider the cost of repairing a guitar crack(s) and the depreciation you suffer on the guitar's value compared to the cost of humidipaks and/or a room humidifier.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilama View Post
It sounds like step one is getting a hygrometer.

Thank you for the advice.
Hygrometers (not hydrometers) are an inexpensive way to determine if you have an issue and how much of one.

I prefer to measure problems (when possible) before I try and solve them.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-02-2023, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I don't think your sponge humidifiers will do much good unless the guitar is in its case.

I would like to leave one out too, but I live in a semi-arid climate. I've seen the Rh as low as 4% on a warm day in the summer.

So mine stay in their cases, each with a Planet Waves sponge-type humidifier, in a room with a Vortex humidifier that runs almost constantly.

Been doing it that way for 6 years now, and no problems. If it's not too dry, I might take one out and keep it out for the day, but it goes back in the case at night.

I keep a hygrometer in the guitar room. Taylor makes a pretty good one for about $30.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:42 AM

the case

is the safest palce...

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-02-2023, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Hygrometers (not hydrometers) are an inexpensive way to determine if you have an issue and how much of one.

I prefer to measure problems (when possible) before I try and solve them.
Trust me he lives in Palm Springs , he has a lack of humidity issue .
Wiki :: "Palm Springs has no months that would be considered humid, with some very dry months. The least humid month is June (13.9% relative humidity), and the most humid month is December (30.2%)."

As Dorthy might say "we ain't in Kirkland anymore Toto "

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-02-2023 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:46 AM

Calgary's pretty dry. I keep humidifiers in all my acoustics. Simple ones from Planet Waves. The Yamaha 331 is the one I keep out for my kids and I to play. I keep a humidifier in it, but it's a lammy top. The others I try to keep in their cases. Dry house humidity in the winter is where the dryness is really a pain up here. I try and monitor that without the windows inside moistening up, then freezing at -20/-30!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 06-02-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Trust me if he lives in Palm Springs he has humidity issue
Been there and got the t shirt.

My point was a hygrometer is useful to determine how much humidity needs to be added, so the OP might find that sound hole humidifiers will NEVER work adequately.

If it's low enough a room humidifier might not work either.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-02-2023, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

I live in a dry climate

your guitar will speak to you

do the frets feel sharp on the ends?
Old 06-02-2023, 12:13 PM

Default The answer? GAS...

You might like my personal method for avoiding the worst effects of Denver's semiarid climate. I own three solid-body acoustics that I love almost equally. So I have an informal rotation schedule that cuts the dry exposure of each by 2/3. Every week or two, another guitar comes out of its case and onto the wall, and goes with me to the the bluegrass jam. Meanwhile, the other two slumber contentedly in hard cases with Oasis humidifiers. It's worked so far!

(Hmm, maybe it would work even better with four guitars. Each would be out in the elements only 1/4 of its life...
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 06-02-2023, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Been there and got the t shirt.
Quote:
My point was a hygrometer is useful to determine how much humidity needs to be added, so the OP might find that sound hole humidifiers will NEVER work adequately.
That would be my thought. I had one of the sound hole type that was a sponge in a black plastic cover that sealed off the sound hole. So the box was getting some humidity, but that did not stop the fret board from shrinking and having the steel frets protrude

Quote:
If it's low enough a room humidifier might not work either.
Possibly but I would think that would depend on the efficiency of humidifier, if will keep the room 45% to 55% it would likely be ok .

But I now simply have two Oasis in each case, one hanging between the strings in the sound hole, and one in the headstock compartment and refill them every Sunday as ritual

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion