The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-18-2023, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

I’ve done several transactions where I have sent money and taken it on Faith that the seller would ship the item. I’ve only done this with forum members who have been around a while, and I talk to them on the phone. I’ve always had good instinct for scams, having grown up in New York City with their scams on every street corner. All it takes for me is a short phone call to get a feel for who I’m dealing with. If you don’t trust your instincts in this regard, there are plenty of guitars in the sea. I have never been taken advantage of in these situations, but it’s always a risk.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 03-18-2023, 04:47 PM

Trust your instincts, indeed. And take it from this retired bank lawyer: most modern financial institutions will not allow a non-party to an account to walk in off the street and put money into some customer's account. This has been true for several years because of the number of scams worked this way, and the bank caught in the middle.

I know: "Awww. Poor widdle bank." I'm not arguing for sympathy for the bank. I'm telling you the bank won't do it. In order to protect themselves. The seller here is hopelessly unaware of how modern financial institutions work.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:53 PM

I would never buy a guitar the way you have outlined. While the seller may be telling the truth about his situation and his limitations, it is just too unusual for me to be comfortable risking my money.

I’ve never heard of anyone asking for money to be deposited directly into their bank account unless it was a parent wanting to quickly get money into a college kid’s account.

There is always another good guitar on the horizon. I’d wait for the next one.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Paypal has been around for 25 years now and I find it hard to believe that anyone who has sold many items doesn't have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinorMajor12th View Post
I do not understand how a person who has sold many items does not have a method to receive payment other than your depositing it directly in an account.
What they said. No deal.
Old 03-19-2023, 03:28 AM

Walk away. You know this already.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic