The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-15-2023, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
When I was in my 20s I had an opera-singer and teacher girlfriend. She'd never attempt to teach me -- that would be like trying to teach your spouse how to parallel park -- but I'd eavesdrop when she gave lessons. A big tip was dropping the jaw to open the airway -- counterintuitive but it works. And deliberate relaxation starting from the top of the head and down to your toes -- works for playing, too. And confrontations with clients in the day job, for that matter. Another thing is group singing -- if you're the worst singer in the band, you have to match the lead singer's phrasing. Enunciations, cutoffs and all that. She was great at teaching people how to, essentially, crawl inside the skin of people they were singing with and learn how to sing like they sing, so the backup vocals sound tight. We were so not meant to be together, but she gave me that.
What a great reply, thanks. I'll pay attention to the jaw dropping , not sure about crawling inside the skin of other people that sounds a bit icky but singing as a group activity just to be part of something is a powerful thing.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

It is heartening to see so many who realize that singing skill is not something that is automatically conferred upon you simply because you play guitar. A large number of guitar players I've encountered over the years seem to believe exactly that.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
It is heartening to see so many who realize that singing skill is not something that is automatically conferred upon you simply because you play guitar. A large number of guitar players I've encountered over the years seem to believe exactly that.
some guys just seem to have an easier time than others.

I never figured out why, but I do know that I'm not one of "Those" guys

once you set your sights on improving your singing, you find out pretty quick there's more to it than one can at first imagine, and it's long slow journey that needs as much focus and practice as playing any instrument does.

and that you got it or you don't -- that's BS

the real question is how badly do you want to do it.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write