The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-25-2023, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Old 02-26-2023, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
John Slobod (Circa Guitars) is very well known for his 00 guitars with a 12 fret neck joint.
Randall is absolutely correct. I've played at least a half-dozen of John's 00s, including this one in Italian spruce and Macassar ebony that he made for me, and all of them have been superb. John has also told me that he thinks 00s are a body size he does particularly well.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:22 AM

Maybe I am an outlier here, but I think any of these great builders mentioned here just build great guitars regardless of size.

Look at the list being generated, I would own a guitar from any of them from Dreadnought to Parlor.

Personally I have several OOs and think the two I have from Steve Kinnaird and Ben Wilborn are quite amazing. I also played one from Gage Halland at B.I.G. last year that was simply out of this world good!
Old 02-26-2023, 12:21 PM

I'll second Gage's 00. Michel Aboudib also had a really nice one at BIG. I normally prefer the feel of an OM, but these were stellar and I would have loved to take both home if I had the funds.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:42 PM

Almost all the builders mentioned thus far would be considered in the upper tier of luthiery with prices which reflect that hard-won status. I'm not saying a thing against any of them; they make great guitars and have earned the right to charge what they wish. But there are other options, builders who maybe haven't been around as long but still look to making great small-bodied guitars with more "middle class" prices. Here are a few. Warren Murfitt, Ed Bond (Halcyon Guitars), Lee Hyldig (Mae Lutherie), Pat Foster, Aaron Foster (Queen City Guitars). I'm sure there are many others.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Maybe I am an outlier here, but I think any of these great builders mentioned here just build great guitars regardless of size.

Look at the list being generated, I would own a guitar from any of them from Dreadnought to Parlor.

Personally I have several OOs and think the two I have from Steve Kinnaird and Ben Wilborn are quite amazing. I also played one from Gage Halland at B.I.G. last year that was simply out of this world good!
Once again I second Tom! Hard to go wrong with any of the above builders!!!

Of course they are in the top tier of reputations and prices. But it is only money….

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-26-2023, 01:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

I by no means are famed for anything, but I do make a 00 (12 fretter.) They have been said to be successful. I love making them. I did make a special request 00 in a 14 fret body connection and while it was a nice guitar I don't see many (or any) in my future.

I have a 00 in the works at the moment. It is Black Limba with a White Spruce top. Still have some details to work out. I also plan to make 00's as part of my Vintage Series. They will differ than my "normal" guitars, in that they will follow very closely to pre-war specs. I have quite a few things in front of the Vintage Series 00, but perhaps it will get started sooner rather than later.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:49 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, my Waterloo WL-12 MH is as close to 00 specs for any difference to be almost imperceptible, and I've played few better in that size...
Old 02-26-2023, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
But it is only money….
Precisely.

I've found that it's a whole lot harder to find a truly exceptional guitar than it is to find the money to pay for it.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:53 PM

While not particularly known for the 00 body size, I'm pretty thrilled with this old sweetie from Martin:

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 02-26-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
Precisely.

I've found that it's a whole lot harder to find a truly exceptional guitar than it is to find the money to pay for it.
I have played or owned many really good guitars, excellent and without any weak points. Buy there have only been maybe 4 or 5 guitate that stood out from among them for having ab outstanding quality or attribute that qas not reproduced or equalled by any other guitar I have come across.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post

I don’t think you’re an outlier at all Tom; there are some fine builders listed here.

I read PTL's question to be about builders that are known particularly for their 00-sized guitars. From the range of responses I think it’s more a case of many fine builders doing a great job on 00s, as well as on other sized guitars. Case in point, my Baranik 00 is amazing, but Mike B is probably better known for his larger Meridian model.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Michael Bashkin makes outstanding 00 guitars. He’s worth checking out. I have owned a 00 built by Kathy Wingert for nearly 20 years and it is wonderful in every respect. She calls it her Concert Muse model. I was fortunate to find a used one on the internet.
Best,
Jayne
Old 02-26-2023, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Smile I dunno about that…

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
I by no means are famed for anything, but I do make a 00 (12 fretter.) They have been said to be successful. I love making them. I did make a special request 00 in a 14 fret body connection and while it was a nice guitar I don't see many (or any) in my future.

I have a 00 in the works at the moment. It is Black Limba with a White Spruce top. Still have some details to work out. I also plan to make 00's as part of my Vintage Series. They will differ than my "normal" guitars, in that they will follow very closely to pre-war specs. I have quite a few things in front of the Vintage Series 00, but perhaps it will get started sooner rather than later.
John, I would venture you are pretty famous around here, anyway! And rightfully so, too!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-27-2023, 04:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default He's mainly known for archtops, but......

....John Monteleone built me a very nice 00 sized instrument.

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop