The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-17-2023, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
By 'classical' I mean classical. They are getting a little closer, as of recently you can get a flat finger board and a wider nut, but still not 52mm which would be 'classical'. No one seems to make one. Klos has hinted they are getting close (Haha!), but it may not be the same sort of instrument as an Emerald. Leviora maybe? Not sure they are still around, their website hasn't been updated in many years.
I see. I didn’t realize that ‘classical’ was so rigidly defined. The term is often used to refer to nylon strung guitars in general, hence my question.

Right now you can get a 50mm nut and a flat fretboard on an X20. If they can do 50, it would seem likely that they could do 52.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-21-2023, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

In the acoustic world, "classical" seems to mean anything with nylon strings to some. In the world of classical repertoire, a 50 mm nut would be considered unusually narrow, perhaps a crossover. Some Spanish classical guitars have 55 mm nuts. Of course to real classical traditionalists, carbon is itself disqualifying!

I think the issue in a molded instrument is the mold has to be 52 mm wide if the nut is going to be. Not like wood where you can just quit planing at 52 rather than 50.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber