The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:49 PM

Killing it as usual Mark, I'm loving that slotted headstock!
Old 08-05-2016, 03:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
Killing it as usual Mark, I'm loving that slotted headstock!
Thanks emmsone,

I like the slotted headstock on this parlor model partly because it's lighter weight offsets the heavier Hard Maple neck wood keeping the guitar well balanced.

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 08-06-2016, 10:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Body Work

Here are a couple more pictures to show the work I'm doing around the heel. This is the next advance in my faceted front strap button arrangement. I like that button out of the way and here I've removed the cut away step that typically shows up with a traditional type heel. I've also added the sound port;

More to come!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 08-06-2016, 10:19 AM

Really amazing work!, love the black one.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
Really amazing work!, love the black one.
Thanks jessupe,

I'm expecting the Black Ebony Penelope back from the finisher soon!

Mark

Old 08-07-2016, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks jessupe,

I'm expecting the Black Ebony Penelope back from the finisher soon!

Mark
cool, can't wait to see it.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
This is a continuation of Hatcher Studio '16; http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...411876&page=21.....this is where a guitar really starts;

I bring this up because I've recently had an epiphany that I'd like to share.
I've felt guilty because technology has been advancing for quite awhile for drafting plan layouts. There's CAD, Sketch-Up, Illustrator, all kinds of great ways to draw up designs and here I am like an old Luddite sitting at a drafting table. When my brother needs to do a quick sketch he reaches for his laptop not a pencil.
So here's my epiphany; Guitars aren't large, I can draw an entire guitar on this table full scale. I'm going to build it full scale so it's better to draw it full scale. So lets say I'm designing a bridge like so;

Once drawn I can look at it this way and that until I'm happy with it's lines and size. After that it get's drawn on the wood blank and cut out;

See anything familiar? It's the same pencil drawing and now I'm going to use the band saw and follow those curves again. But it's going to be easier because I've already followed those curves by hand a couple times while drawing them full scale.

I think as builders we all need to be the gate keepers for what and how we let technology in and not just reach for the next new shiny thing.

And we're off!

Thanks for getting through all that!
Mark
Three years ago when looking for a contractor to do a gut renovation on our kitchen, we met a local guy who has good credentials and the couple of houses we checked out of his work looked great. We went to his office to discuss out plans and desires, and he goes back to an architects drawing board to make sketches of the potential layout for out kitchen. He does not use any modern software drawing programs which is fine by me. He said the Amish builders have all the fancy computer stuff!!!

When the stone guy that came out to take measurements of the new base cabinets for the soapstone counters and backsplashes we were getting, we assumed he'd bring a laser guided system on a tripod to do the precise high tech way of plotting and measuring the countertops as that is what they do these day. No, he brought a tape measure, a legal pad and a pencil! In the end, the counters fit perfectly, even the various radii around the large farmhouse sink. Every corner, nook, and cranny fit perfectly up against the different cabinet configurations we had. No computers! Just, good old craftspeople who know how to do things with simple tools, and not a computer in sight.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 08-08-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Three years ago when looking for a contractor to do a gut renovation on our kitchen, we met a local guy who has good credentials and the couple of houses we checked out of his work looked great. We went to his office to discuss out plans and desires, and he goes back to an architects drawing board to make sketches of the potential layout for out kitchen. He does not use any modern software drawing programs which is fine by me. He said the Amish builders have all the fancy computer stuff!!!

When the stone guy that came out to take measurements of the new base cabinets for the soapstone counters and backsplashes we were getting, we assumed he'd bring a laser guided system on a tripod to do the precise high tech way of plotting and measuring the countertops as that is what they do these day. No, he brought a tape measure, a legal pad and a pencil! In the end, the counters fit perfectly, even the various radii around the large farmhouse sink. Every corner, nook, and cranny fit perfectly up against the different cabinet configurations we had. No computers! Just, good old craftspeople who know how to do things with simple tools, and not a computer in sight.
Thanks for sharing that!

It's not that I'm against computers but, I am for using the best tool for the job which often isn't a computer, at least for me.

Mark

Old 08-08-2016, 11:25 AM

Yeah, it'd be tough for us to communicate to each other as we do without computers! They have their uses.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:54 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Stunning natural colors on that Padauk. Those colors remind me of fall. Beautiful work, Mark.

JR
Old 08-09-2016, 04:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Stunning natural colors on that Padauk. Those colors remind me of fall. Beautiful work, Mark.

JR
Thanks J.R.,

The color and figure on this wood will really light up when the finish hits.

Mark

Old 08-09-2016, 05:45 AM

Beautiful guitar.

Regarding your drafting table, looks to me like you are drawing birds and not guitars......

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 08-09-2016, 12:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Beautiful guitar.

Regarding your drafting table, looks to me like you are drawing birds and not guitars......
Thanks Jon,

Why those were, in fact, birds I was drawing. When I draw for inlays it works well to draw large and then shrink the drawing to fit. It gives you cleaner, finer and more precise lines to follow with the saw. These birds were for the Magpie Penelope crossover I made last winter with the "Tree".
Here's a couple pics of the drawing sized and worked;

I'm very proud of how that guitar worked out. So yeah I draw birds, flourishes, I'm currently trying to work out an olive wreath for a rosette.

Mark

Old 08-12-2016, 08:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Penelope Black Ebony Model w/Finish

I just got the finish on this 12 fret Black Ebony/Swiss Moon Spruce Penelope model. It's just popped together here so you can get the idea;

You can see the guitar has a mildly elevated fretboard. This makes the higher frets a little more comfortable to play. I also like how it looks, particularly with my Penelope model

And that Black Ebony is black! In real life there is just enough streaking to show this is not a painted guitar. The Koa neck and trim has figure that jumped out nicely with finish. I'll string this one up, hopefully, by the end of next week.

Thanks!
Mark

Old 08-12-2016, 09:44 AM

Whoa! how shiny is that?! At first glance its looks like its a bit bling for my tastes, but actually its classy bling so it doesn't look over the top. I like it

Dave
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop