The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-06-2022, 06:01 AM

There are at least two considerations:

1. How does your shoulder like the F size? My shoulder is fussy, but yours may not care.

2. Which sound do you prefer? I admit it's a fairly small difference, but I find the S model a bit more focused. That works better for my music, but it may not for yours.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-06-2022, 06:11 AM

If you find one you like, I can heartily recommend a Lowden F - I've heard great things about the Os but I've never tried one, and they do look big.

My F23 (cedar/walnut) is a joy to play - the size of the lower bout is comfortable and seems to drop my picking hand into just the right position over the strings (whereas when I play the Gibson in the list below, it feels cut adrift/unanchored somehow). As others have mentioned the slightly narrower waist than a dread also helps, and it's a shape I absolutely love.

Also agree re the 45mm nut width - my F35 had a custom 43.5mm nut, and I think that was one of the reasons I just didn't quite get along with it. Amazing the difference 1.5mm can make...

But really, as others have said, you'll only really know when you pick one up and play it.

Happy hunting

Angus
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Gibson Chet Atkins Studio Classic
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H173 Prismatone (Clawdia)
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)
Old 07-06-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobell View Post
If you find one you like, I can heartily recommend a Lowden F - I've heard great things about the Os but I've never tried one, and they do look big.
I don't know that there's that much in it, in use. I can't speak for smaller people though.

For comparison's sake, here's quick and dirty screengrabs of a 6'3" 285lbs guy with an A (slightly different shape than a newer Lowden F, but same size lower bout, scale length etc.) and an L (same shape and dimensions as an 'O') respectively:

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 07-06-2022, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post
I don't know that there's that much in it, in use. I can't speak for smaller people though.

For comparison's sake, here's quick and dirty screengrabs of a 6'3" 285lbs guy with an A (slightly different shape than a newer Lowden F, but same size lower bout, scale length etc.) and an L (same shape and dimensions as an 'O') respectively:

Ha! Knock nine inches off the height of that big fella, and 100lbs off his weight, and you’d see a very differently proportioned picture - exactly the reason my two Lowden ‘O’ guitars had to go, and an ‘F’ had to come in…

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 07-06-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Having owned several Lowdens over the years, I think you should go for the F model. It's the best all rounder.
+1. I've never played the S size before but having played the O and the F, I bought the F. Easier on my shoulder than the O and still had great tone and volume.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Ha! Knock nine inches off the height of that big fella, and 100lbs off his weight, and you’d see a very differently proportioned picture - exactly the reason my two Lowden ‘O’ guitars had to go, and an ‘F’ had to come in…
No, I hear you, but what I mean is that in practice the two guitars aren't too different in size, really.

Now, when it comes to weight, I think it works opposite, because when I was 345lbs (see below) I HAD to play the A if playing seated, because my arm wouldn't go over the L without messing with my wrist (mainly). Thankfully I left competitive lifting and have lost all the weight and can play either again now.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 07-06-2022, 01:04 PM

F by a country mile. I had an S for a day and was sorely disappointed. Boxy sound with no presence or depth. I have 2 Fs and love them.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:34 PM

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback.

Ok, have decided on an F model in cedar/rosewood. I always had my heart set on an S model in spruce/rosewood or cocobolo. But, for bass response and fingerstyle, will try this.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback.

Ok, have decided on an F model in cedar/rosewood. I always had my heart set on an S model in spruce/rosewood or cocobolo. But, for bass response and fingerstyle, will try this.

Thanks.
A very good choice, I hope you enjoy it.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I'm 70yo, 5'8", 160lbs (with previous right arm rotator cuff surgery) and have owned a couple of Lowden F's...never found the size of the F body to be an issue. They sound great too! Dan
Old 08-07-2022, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Don't forget you can get an F in a 12 fret. Which may help with size, certainly brings the frets 1 thru 3 closer to your body. But no help with the bout sizes.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Don't forget you can get an F in a 12 fret. Which may help with size, certainly brings the frets 1 thru 3 closer to your body. But no help with the bout sizes.
Yep, got a F25 12 fret off of Reverb from a store in the UK. Hopefully this is a keeper.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Love my F 35 12 fret. I hope yours makes you as happy.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:05 AM

I am a big fan of Lowden's, and own a number.

The O is a sound I know from way back as Justin Sullivan of New Model Army has always played them. I was delighted when I got one of my own!

I also have a S12 with a sinker redwood top ... it's a lovely rich sounding instrument that lives by my desk - as a noodling, practice, quietly accompanying guitar - lovely thing.

I also have a cutaway F ... for me the O is at it's best playing rich full chords and as a powerful strummer. The F has a more piercing tone that I like for flatpicking melody ... a more balanced and less shouty tone than a dreadnought.

None are one-trick ponies... they all play and sound brilliant... but I am able to choose acording to the situation.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
Yep, got a F25 12 fret off of Reverb from a store in the UK. Hopefully this is a keeper.
That's fantastic! Enjoy your 12 fretter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
lowden