The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2022, 10:03 AM

Default Have you ever been in this situation before?

This question is probably as old as the hills on this forum, but I have to ask, as it is the dilemma I’m in.

Would you give up a guitar you’re growing to love in order to acquire another guitar that you might love even more?

A bit of context, I bought a pre owned Martin 000-15sm about four months ago because I’ve heard such positive things about it, and I thought it would be a good compliment to my HD-28. While it has been a great addition to my other Martin, and I have really grown to appreciate its warm,full, all-mahogany tone and fun playability, I’m haunted by the thought of owning a CEO-7 instead. I have played a few over the years and they were just awesome little guitars.

What would you do?

I’m also curious to hear if anyone here has been in a similar situation. What you chose to do and if you now feel like it was the right choice?

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-18-2022 at 04:15 PM. Reason: forum rules
Old 05-18-2022, 10:12 AM

I would go find somewhere to A/B them and make up my mind that - yes, IF the CEO is worth it, I'd trade in the 000.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT4life View Post
…I’m also curious to hear if anyone here has been in a similar situation. What you chose to do and if you now feel like it was the right choice?
Hi CT-etc
I have no idea what I'd do in your situation.

I once sold a 17 yr old Martin D-28 to help finance my new Olson (which was being built at the time). Thirty years later, it WAS (and still is) worth it. It's still my main guitar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-18-2022, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Go for it. If you're looking some 'enabling' you've come to the right place.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:33 AM

I have had both of these guitars and the CEO-7 was definitely the better all arounder in my personal opinion. I liked the neck shape of the CEO-7 a more, the CEO-7 looks wise is a stunner, and it could handle anything I threw at it, open tuning fingerpicking, blues, and heavy strumming. I personally think the CEO-7 is the better of the two.

2005 Martin D-18GE Shade Top
Taylor 717 Builders Edition
PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-18-2022, 11:36 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Not unless I played the potential new guitar first and was convinced I loved it more.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:40 AM

I should add, I’m an expat living in Cape Town, South Africa. So the only way I could obtain a CEO-7 now would be to order one without playing it. Therefore, like the rub of any online purchase, will the reality of the CEO-7’s sound and playability match the idea and memory that I have of it? Who’s to say?
Old 05-18-2022, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I think many of us have been faced with this same quandry, and only you can decide what's best for you.

I have gotten rid of guitars I loved to move up on two occasions. Looking back, I do not regret the decisions I made.

Best of luck to you!

- Glenn
Old 05-18-2022, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Buy once, cry once.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 05-18-2022, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I stupidly sold a 00015SM two years ago and finally just bought a new one a month ago. This one won’t be going anywhere. Like others said,only you can decide but I would keep the SM and save for the CEO.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 05-18-2022, 11:57 AM

I've never moved on a guitar that I loved for a guitar that I *might* love. Every guitar I've moved on either:

1) no longer fit the tonal palette I was going for at the time (this doesn't mean the guitar wasn't great, it just didn't sound like what I was going after anymore, due to change in playing style/technique, or changes in personal taste), or

2) I had a lot of experience playing the guitar I was moving it on for, so I knew I'd love the second guitar even more, it wasn't a case of *might* but rather *definitely*

Now I admit most guitars I've sold fell under category #1, but I have moved one or two that fell in category #2 and don't regret the move.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 05-18-2022, 12:01 PM

I have about 20 guitars in total.

I'm the wrong guy to ask for advice like this..
like,,.. clearly... the wrong guy.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-18-2022, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I live in a lower budget range than a lot of people's purchasing decisions on here, but I totally understand the situation. My two higher quality guitars are quite niche instruments - I love them but I actually spend more time on my cheap Yamaha just because a conventional flat top acoustic is friendliest to the way I'm playing nowadays. The logical thing would be for me to move the archtop or another instrument on and get a nice all-rounder dreadnought, OM or whatever, but I'm loathe to part with good, characterful instruments!
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 05-18-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT4life View Post
This question is probably as old as the hills on this forum, but I have to ask, as it is the dilemma I’m in.

Would you sell a guitar you’re growing to love in order to finance the purchase of another guitar that you might love even more?

A bit of context, I bought a pre owned Martin 000-15sm about four months ago because I’ve heard such positive things about it, and I thought it would be a good compliment to my HD-28. While it has been a great addition to my other Martin, and I have really grown to appreciate its warm,full, all-mahogany tone and fun playability, I’m haunted by the thought of owning a CEO-7 instead. I have played a few over the years and they were just awesome little guitars.

What would you do?

I’m also curious to hear if anyone here has been in a similar situation. What you chose to do and if you now feel like it was the right choice?
This is a particularly interesting question to me. In this order, last year I acquired a 000-15, a 000-18 and a CEO-7. I admittedly like all 3, but have recently consigned the 000-15 as I did not play it much after getting the other two. I had not intention of getting the CEO-7 but I played one before buying the 000-18 and couldn't get it out of my head.

So based on my own experience and path of purchases / sales, I would wholeheartedly recommend the trade / upgrade, but each person is different.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:21 PM

2 very different guitars really. I would not give up one that I liked for another I had not yet played. Bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush applies here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000-15sm, ceo-7, gas, martin