The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
I would say it is more a question of the underlying guitar design than the wood combination.

I have two A models McIlroys, an A25 and an A30, they share the characteristic open sound, responsive, good sustain, but sound quite different to me.

The A25 is Cedar/Walnut, and for me this works very well in a McIlroy, warm with nice lush ringing harmonics, even noticeable in the bass notes that are particularly well defined. Great for fingerstyle, I tend to leave it a lot in DADGAD.

The A30 is Sitka/EIR and is definitely more versatile. It requires a stronger attack to show it’s capability. Still plenty of nice overtones but less so than the cedar topped guitar. If I had to state one attribute that stands out it is the bell like nature of the trebles.

Have a listen - better than words can describe: http://rods-music.caoulet.com/music/...y Daisy 1c.mp3

Sounding great, thanks!

I’ll try to make a trip up to McIlroy soon and compare them
Old 06-04-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
This might interest you? A rare Lowden dread - in Europe....

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=646977

Hi, yes I already saw it, thanks foe sharing it! I’d be more inclined towards a GA body. I’d probably play it safe and get a Martin D-18 if I were looking for a dreadnought
Old 06-08-2022, 05:25 AM

To throw another suggestion in there's also Ciaran McNally in N.Ireland. I was in his shop the other week and was immensely impressed with his guitars. A superb blend of the Irish style guitars with an Americana edge is reasonably priced too for the basic models for a single luthier made instrument.

He would be worth a look!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
comparison, furch, mcilroy, taylor