The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2022, 10:51 PM

Default Taylor 814ce vs Furch Red deluxe - purchase advice?

Hi experts,
I recently started learning guitar again after 9 years but my old guitar is no longer in good shape so I went to a local guitar shop and tried some guitars. After some hard A/B tests I decide to choose a one between Used Taylor 814ce dlx and New Furch Red deluxe (btw the armrest on Taylor and Furch looks really great). This is my first time trying Furch guitars (surprisingly I prefer the sound of the Furch Red over 814ce I am a newbie and I could be wrong about the sound). Whats your opinion?

So the price for the brand new red deluxe is priced at $3500 which sounds like a great deal for me since it is like $3800 on reverb. And the used 814ce dlx is priced at $2600 which also looks like a good deal. Also I noticed that Furch has a non-deluxe model which does not come with a beveled armrest. Do you guys think the armrest worth the extra $500?

I'm more interested in finger-picking but I do occasionally accompany myself.
So I could really use some advice from you guys in terms of both sound and cost effectiveness. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2022, 12:38 AM

These two were on my short list as well. Played them both, along with a number of others, but instantly new the Furch was something special when I played it. The Furch still gets me excited every time I look at it or pick it up.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:50 AM

I have a Furch (Yellow) and sincerely wish it had an arm bevel. The reason is that I love this guitar so much I play it a lot and end up cutting off the circulation in my right hand (tingly pins and needles). Easily remedied by taking breaks, but the comfort of a bevel would be just great, I think.

Anyway, my advice would be to sit down with both (somewhere quiet, if possible), close your eyes and play and listen carefully. Then think about how the guitars feel (neck in hand, body on lap, etc.)

From there, I think you’ll know.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterk View Post
These two were on my short list as well. Played them both, along with a number of others, but instantly new the Furch was something special when I played it. The Furch still gets me excited every time I look at it or pick it up.
Thanks for the reply. Thats exactly what I was feeling when I first played it. Btw do you think the armrest will worth the extra $ to upgrade?
Old 01-09-2022, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
I have a Furch (Yellow) and sincerely wish it had an arm bevel. The reason is that I love this guitar so much I play it a lot and end up cutting off the circulation in my right hand (tingly pins and needles). Easily remedied by taking breaks, but the comfort of a bevel would be just great, I think.

Anyway, my advice would be to sit down with both (somewhere quiet, if possible), close your eyes and play and listen carefully. Then think about how the guitars feel (neck in hand, body on lap, etc.)

From there, I think you’ll know.

Thank you so much for the advice haha. May I know how many hours do you play per day? Also do you think the difference in tone between furch yellow and furch red is worth extra $1000?
Old 01-09-2022, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoninseattle View Post
Thank you so much for the advice haha. May I know how many hours do you play per day? Also do you think the difference in tone between furch yellow and furch red is worth extra $1000?
At one point, it was probably close to three hours a day, although, lately (and with the holidays), I’m down to an hour and a half or so. (I’m taking more breaks while playing.)

The difference in price is probably worth it—concretely, the top and back both are voiced (only the top for the Yellow) … appearance wise, the Red is made with higher quality binding, higher graded woods and the bevels are made with koa.

For me, the real problem with the Red is that there are only spruce tops currently available, while I prefer cedar (which is what I have with my Yellow). Also, you should know there is a new Yellow Deluxe model that does feature bevels, but they are made with 3D printed black plastic. Cosmetically, it’s very well done, but I much prefer wood (to my mind it’s more noble than plastic).

So, really, it comes down to personal tastes (other than the voiced top and back which are real, physical differences with the Red models compared to Yellow).

Old 01-09-2022, 06:32 AM

Since you've already A/B'd the two and prefer the tone of the Furch it looks to me like you have your answer. The Taylor has the advantage of being used and accordingly less money...I think you'll be hard pressed to find a used Furch like this, so you'll be buying new.

I own a Taylor BE K14ce which has the bevel, and a Furch with bevels. Of the two the Furch is my preference, and it's not really close. I don't think you'd ever regret purchasing the Furch.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

For what one opinion is worth (or maybe three with the links below), I had a Taylor 914ce recently that I liked, but didn't love. Aesthetically it was gorgeous, but the tone didn't quit get it for me.

I had been eyeing the new Red Series Furch models but like to buy used usually so someone else can take the initial hit on the sticker price. being new, there are not a lot of used ones floating around, but I found one the other day and it arrived 2 days ago. Am blown away and love it so far. It is very loud, articulate and balanced. Without he ability to directly compare side by side, I'd still say that I think the Furch sounds way better to my ears.

I thought this was a nice description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knB0r7CoQ4I&t=892s

Also Paul Davids did a glowing review as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGmBPW7c2Tg

Hope these videos help a bit!
Old 01-09-2022, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I've had my Furch Red Deluxe for a couple of weeks now and am very impressed. It feels just like an 14 sized Taylor but to my ears has a much fuller sound. I had both an 814ce and a 914ce and the quality was outstanding but ultimately the tone did not thrill me. I agree that buying used is preferable but probably not much chance on the Furch. I went with the Cocobolo and Alpine spruce version and have no regrets.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:05 PM

I can't see how you could be "wrong about the sound" in any useful sense. Your ears, your hands, your wallet. If I (far from a newbie) were to play the two and have a different take on the sound, it shouldn't affect your decision--unless I were to notice something about playability that you hadn't. (Unlikely with instruments at this level.)

If you have the time and connections, play 'em again. Bring along an experienced friend and listen to them being played. Then buy the one that *you* prefer. The money is a non-trivial amount, but if you're not paupering yourself, it's not the most important factor.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Larry at Organic Sounds as a lightly used Furch Red SR. Here’s the link: https://organicsoundsguitars.com/col...-rosewood-2021. Beautiful look, beautiful sound, beautiful price.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
Since you've already A/B'd the two and prefer the tone of the Furch it looks to me like you have your answer. The Taylor has the advantage of being used and accordingly less money...I think you'll be hard pressed to find a used Furch like this, so you'll be buying new.

I own a Taylor BE K14ce which has the bevel, and a Furch with bevels. Of the two the Furch is my preference, and it's not really close. I don't think you'd ever regret purchasing the Furch.
Haha I wanted to try the new K14ce and K24ce but unfortunately they do not have one in stock ( Do you mean you prefer the sound of Furch or the Bevel?
Thank you
Old 01-09-2022, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
For what one opinion is worth (or maybe three with the links below), I had a Taylor 914ce recently that I liked, but didn't love. Aesthetically it was gorgeous, but the tone didn't quit get it for me.

I had been eyeing the new Red Series Furch models but like to buy used usually so someone else can take the initial hit on the sticker price. being new, there are not a lot of used ones floating around, but I found one the other day and it arrived 2 days ago. Am blown away and love it so far. It is very loud, articulate and balanced. Without he ability to directly compare side by side, I'd still say that I think the Furch sounds way better to my ears.

I thought this was a nice description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knB0r7CoQ4I&t=892s

Also Paul Davids did a glowing review as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGmBPW7c2Tg

Hope these videos help a bit!
Oh man I'm so jealous of you right now haha. Lucky for you to find a used one! Is it a Red deluxe?
Old 01-09-2022, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLetson View Post
I can't see how you could be "wrong about the sound" in any useful sense. Your ears, your hands, your wallet. If I (far from a newbie) were to play the two and have a different take on the sound, it shouldn't affect your decision--unless I were to notice something about playability that you hadn't. (Unlikely with instruments at this level.)

If you have the time and connections, play 'em again. Bring along an experienced friend and listen to them being played. Then buy the one that *you* prefer. The money is a non-trivial amount, but if you're not paupering yourself, it's not the most important factor.
Yeah I would say money will not be an issue for me but I just couldn't justify if Furch worth the extra money for the sound difference because the Taylor does not sounds bad haha. But I will try to follow what you suggested and play them again. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbedard View Post
Larry at Organic Sounds as a lightly used Furch Red SR. Here’s the link: https://organicsoundsguitars.com/col...-rosewood-2021. Beautiful look, beautiful sound, beautiful price.
Thank you! Hope they had a red deluxe (

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
furch, taylor