The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-07-2022, 01:29 PM

You're right to be kicking yourself for not buying a D18 back when they were more affordable.

The thing is, the price is NOT going to drop. It's going to keep going up. In another year you'll be kicking yourself for not buying one now at ~$ 2500.

You can find a good used one if you look around. About 2 years ago I bought a gently used HD-28 for around $1850. Even though gigs and jam opportunities have dried up I haven't regretted that purchase one bit.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I’m going to go against the grain just a tad here to make things interesting. Before I got my D-18 I had a Custom D. In a way I still wish I had the Custom D. It had a tone that my d-18 does not, and visa versa. My d-18, maybe because it’s a pre reimagined, is a bit on the tight and bright side of things where as the D had that woody growl to it. I’m just saying, there are other less expensive options. Now, with the 18 you get full gloss and the neck profile is somewhat more robust than the D , so make sure try a few to make sure it fits your hand and ears. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2022, 01:32 PM

I waited a long time to buy my J200, the longer I debated the purchase, the higher the price tag got. I haven't regretted buying it. Not once.

You will forget soon enough about the $$$ factor and instead just appreciate having it to play whenever you want

Noting else is going to take the edge off this, you want the D18, if you can swing it,, just do it already.

we aint taking the cash with us.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 01-07-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:35 PM

Get the D-18 if it's your dream guitar. As was said earlier, the prices are only going to keep going up. I started out with a bargain-basement $150 Fender acoustic and decided I was going to get what I wanted. You don't have to get as crazy with it as I did and it doesn't sound like you are going to. I love my Martins. You won't regret it- be sure to get a good set-up as the action tends to be a little high from the factory. You will love it. (and get 2018 or newer- new if possible then you have the warranty- they are fantastic).
Old 01-07-2022, 01:36 PM

No affiliation, but if I were looking for a Martin D right now, I'd go here. Good price for a 28:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=631830
Old 01-07-2022, 02:00 PM

I spent $1200 for a Hummingbird now look at the price. Can't remember what I paid in 2012 for the D18 reimagined model with the 1 3/4in nut width but it was worth it. You can spend less for less expensive models that someone promises to sound like a D18. But really they'll never be a D18 to you or me.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:30 PM

Doesn't look like there is much more to do here than wait for the pics.

Get the D-18, it is never a bad decision.
2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 01-07-2022, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

As a past D-18 reimagined owner, I'm certainly not going to rain on the love parade for the D-18. They are awesome. However, if money is an object for you (like it is for me and many others), A brand new (or maybe even used) D-18 may be out of reach for you. Wisdom would say, no, you can't afford it. If that is the case, peer pressure to get a D-18 may just be leading you astray. At least right now. There are several amazing options for a great all-around dread that are far more affordable. And when I say "amazing", it's the truth! Very high quality guitars that sound phenomenal at any price. Guitars like the Furch Green D-SM, or their Vintage 1 dreads, Eastman traditional series dreads, The newer Alvarez Bluegrass dreads, or the newer Recording King 318's and 328's. All those options are wonderful, lower priced options (some amazing low priced). Again, the D-18 IS all it's cracked up to be, but it IS expensive. If money is a concern, other GREAT options abound, and the only thing you're really going to be sacrificing (unless you HAVE to have the "Martin Tone") is a certain name on the headstock. Best to you!
Old 01-07-2022, 03:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalshrub View Post
I play a variety of music, mostly folk, rock, bluegrass, jazz, and blues. I also do a lot of theater work, playing guitar (and other instruments) onstage in shows that have hybrid actor-musicians. I'm hoping to spend more time in the near future working on my bluegrass chops in particular.

About three years ago I was on the hunt for a workhorse acoustic that could "do it all" and that had solid, dependable tone in a variety of situations. I wound up getting a Yamaha A3R dread.

A few years on with the A3R, I find myself drifting back to my girlfriend's Martin DM more often than not. The Yamaha has a fantastic sound plugged in (I really love the pickup systems in these) but the acoustic sound is not even close to the resonance and, for lack of a better word, presence that the Martin DM has in spades. And the recording projects I've had over the last three years have found me using the Martin every time because it's closer to the classic sound I hear in my head. I've also had some intonation issues with the Yamaha that have not been resolved after multiple trips to the luthier.

Which brings me to my GAS. I've wanted a D-18 forever. I always told myself I couldn't justify the cost of a $2500+ guitar, but after spending a few years with the Yamaha (which I got for a little over $1000), I'm beginning to question that thinking.

Anyone make a similar transition from middle of the road dreadnaught to an upper echelon instrument? Too bad I picked a particularly bad time to be in the market for a Martin...the prices are brutal these days (I think D-18s were closer to 1800 or 2000 when I began my acoustic hunt a few years back). I could keep tempting fate by borrowing my gf's DM, but I'd selfishly prefer to have my own dedicated acoustic in this category.
I took the plunge about a month ago, Shrub. I've always wanted one too. It compliments my HD-28 and Eastman slope dread beautifully. As I've grown older I've developed a deeper fondness for mahogany over rosewood, not sure why.

The D-28 and -18 are the two most iconic acoustic guitars in the world, made by the most iconic company of all. Hard to go wrong. I don't normally buy new, but I had a windfall come my way so I pulled the trigger.

Happy Hunting. I have a buddy here in L.A. that's selling a super clean used one for $1800, if interested. Nice guy, original owner, takes great care of his instruments.

Best of Luck,
Scott
Old 01-07-2022, 03:56 PM

I’ve definitely made the step from sub-$1000 gear to the price range (and above) you’re looking in and have nothing but positive things to say about the change.

You should feel no pressure or discomfort if now isn’t the time for it financially (it’s a luxury and I think it’s incredibly easy at least for me to get sucked into feeling a ‘need’ for a particular guitar, such as my ‘need’ for a D-28 Authentic at the moment at a time that it’s just not going to happen), but if you have the means I 1000% say go for it!!! It’s a fantastic joy to have access to that quality of a guitar!
Old 01-07-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I’m going to go against the grain just a tad here to make things interesting. Before I got my D-18 I had a Custom D. In a way I still wish I had the Custom D. It had a tone that my d-18 does not, and visa versa. My d-18, maybe because it’s a pre reimagined, is a bit on the tight and bright side of things where as the D had that woody growl to it. I’m just saying, there are other less expensive options. Now, with the 18 you get full gloss and the neck profile is somewhat more robust than the D , so make sure try a few to make sure it fits your hand and ears. Good luck!
This is an insightful post given the OP's stated preference for a Martin DM. The Custom D has more in common via its bracing and construction with the DM than the D-18. Quite frankly, I prefer the 15 series bracing on the Custom D to the standard D-18. Certainly the D-18 is a great guitar with finer appointments than the Custom D, but having roughly $1,000 difference in price, it makes sense to ask whether it's worth paying the extra $ for the D-18.

The current iteration of the Martin Custom D is the all-solid-wood Martin Special D Classic Mahogany and retails exclusively for $1,379 at Musicians Friend and Guitar Center. Probably worth a test drive.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-07-2022, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Every time I uncase my ‘68 D-18 I smile until I put it back. Then I smile some more. Dont know it that answers your question….
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-07-2022, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

There are certain thresholds for instruments that yield another level of tone, enjoyment, satisfaction of ownership, and just make you want to play. The D 18 and the J 45 are that threshold for me. Once you have one, you will never leave a shop again with that horrible yearning for better. You just won't ever get a bump in tonal quality that equals reaching the D 18 level. Yes, you will hear a difference, but at a cost that you may or may not want to pay.

I remember my threshold guitar, an M 36. For the next twenty years I never left a guitar store with that aching pain in my gut. I just went, nice guitars, went home and played the Martin. If you choose the path of seek and buy, it will be because you find it a fun way to spend your money, not because you can get better. It's incremental, different, and satisfying, yes, but it becomes a choice. Right now may be the last time you buy for need.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-07-2022, 05:00 PM

I was in the same boat as you for a while. I finally got my D18 and loved it. Until I just liked it and sold it a few months later for a hundred or so less than I paid. I was pleased overall to check it off the list.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I waited a long time to buy my J200, the longer I debated the purchase, the higher the price tag got. I haven't regretted buying it. Not once.

You will forget soon enough about the $$$ factor and instead just appreciate having it to play whenever you want

Noting else is going to take the edge off this, you want the D18, if you can swing it,, just do it already.

we aint taking the cash with us.
Agree with everything Ray says in his post, in fact it could have been written by me!

Waited 50 years for my SJ-200.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-18, martin, yamaha