The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2021, 02:37 PM

Default Alternatives to Waterloo Wl-s deluxe?

I am on the hunt for a smaller acoustic to complement my Gibson J-50. After listening to what feels like hundreds of YouTube videos, I seem to have gravitated most toward the Waterloo WL-S (especially like the looks of the deluxe model). Problem is, they seem to be completely unobtainable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative at a similar price point?

Some factors:
-I don't think I want another mahogany b/s guitar
-I love the sound of cherry, seems between hog and rosewood in a great way
-I seem to dislike every maple b/s guitar I've played or listened to
-It needs to have good intonation and tuning stability
-could go up to 000 size

Any ideas?
Old 12-30-2021, 02:50 PM

Look used, and don’t hesitate on a regular WL-S. The regular Waterloo finish is extremely thin just like the varnish. I own a regular WL-S and while many guitars will beat it in one way or another, none really match it in totality.

I’d set a Reverb alert and be patient. It will come.

Last edited by EverettWilliams; 12-30-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Yeah I don't think there's much out there that would really even come close to the tones that a WL-S Deluxe/WL-S will give you. There are other depression era guitars being built, like the Martin 17 series and the Beard Deco Phonic series, but those still have their own thing going, and I'm not aware of anything that has the cherry/ladder braced combo of the WL-S.

I'd echo the thought to set an alert on Reverb, and also post WTB ads on this site, Mandolin Cafe, etc. You could also check out the rotating inventory at https://staygoldguitars.com/, they stock some really cool old guitars and you might be able to find something that's similar.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:07 PM

Tone and feel? Yes there is. The Yairi in my sig has it. It's what I went to immediately upon missing a used WL-S Deluxe at CME, last spring.

It's a 12-fret slothead, but Yairi makes a 14-fret paddlehead with similar specs, one of which is in Gator Music here in Naples, FL. New. On Reverb, go to Gator's store. About $2,500. I played it ten days ago, and it's a beauty.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 12-30-2021, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Tone and feel? Yes there is. The Yairi in my sig has it. It's what I went to immediately upon missing a used WL-S Deluxe at CME, last spring.

It's a 12-fret slothead, but Yairi makes a 14-fret paddlehead with similar specs, one of which is in Gator Music here in Naples, FL. New. On Reverb, go to Gator's store. About $2,500. I played it ten days ago, and it's a beauty.
I'm sure your Yairi is a really nice guitar, but I have a really hard time believing that an x-braced guitar with rosewood back and sides sounds anywhere close to a ladder braced guitar with cherry back and sides. Two totally different guitars.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

You could look around for a Fraulini, like an Erma. Much like the Waterloo WL-S, they mimic the old Stellas. But not real easy to find.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:53 PM

Michael Hauver also builds ladder-braced guitars. I believe he did a lot of repair work for Neil Harpe when Neil sold vintage Stella and other similar guitars on stellaguitars.com.

http://hauverguitars.com/
Old 12-30-2021, 06:00 PM

Played a Hauver at AcouaticMusic.org on fairly recent visit and was pretty impressed. Pretty reasonably priced too. No doubt it’s on their website.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 12-31-2021, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

"IF" you really want a ladder braced guitar like the WL-S or the Deluxe then the pickings are real slim. But "IF" you just want a guitar that appears like a WL-S or Deluxe they can be easily found. For a ladder brace you have to search the net and Reverb as in a Kalamazoo, Fraulini or a Hauver. Most likely used. There are some out on the market right now. For a WL-S, WL-S Deluxe or a WL-14 L I'd search the net and watch Reverb a couple of times a day. And if one pops up buy it as quick as you can because it's be gone with in hours.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-31-2021, 11:37 AM

Here is a version of what I suggested you consider, in an earlier post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbfZ...&t=523s&loop=0

And here are Waterloos, WL-S, one deluxe and one not. youtube.com/watch?v=mkqBFKtKJV4&loop=0

I'd bet if you were blindfolded and listening to one of these players, doing the exact same tunes on four guitars, the two Waterloos, and the two Yairi Ps I mentioned above, you would not be able to correctly identify which was which.

The Ws are made of unobtainium, but the Yairis can ship today if you just shop and click.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 12-31-2021, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

….I can’t think of anything new quite like the Waterloo WL S Deluxe that I played up in Seattle a couple of years ago…but i have owned and played a fair number of vintage Stella’s and Washburns and such and they have the vibe and tone that Waterloo successfully captures… a search of comparable vintage guitars could turn up a gem for considerably less cash outlay….just a thought….
Old 12-31-2021, 01:22 PM

Anything from IRIS that might come close?

Rb
Old 12-31-2021, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

sign up to get Gryphons emails, they have had a used waterloo or two of late for sale, they get a lot of traded instruments, they go thru them and they are setup quite good when you get it-you simply need to fine tune the relief usually.

check Ian Meadows on youtube, find the shop he works at(i know its on reverb but i can't remember the name). they tend to get in used guitars and i've saw a few waterloo offered this year. find that shop and subscribe for emails-if they do that, or keep watch or better yet call and get put on a list of WTB.

MusicEmporium, keep watch on them also.

d
Old 12-31-2021, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd bet if you were blindfolded and listening to one of these players, doing the exact same tunes on four guitars, the two Waterloos, and the two Yairi Ps I mentioned above, you would not be able to correctly identify which was which.

The Ws are made of unobtainium, but the Yairis can ship today if you just shop and click.
The Yairis in the clip sounds great, but nope. Not very Waterloo sounding, much too civilized, too much sustain and without the upper mid range honk of a Waterloo.

But still, very nice.
Old 12-31-2021, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here is a version of what I suggested you consider, in an earlier post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbfZ...&t=523s&loop=0

And here are Waterloos, WL-S, one deluxe and one not. youtube.com/watch?v=mkqBFKtKJV4&loop=0

I disagree, I think that your Yairi is a very excellent sounding guitar, but I don't think it sounds anything like a Waterloo. To each their own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, parlor, stella, waterloo