The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2021, 01:28 PM

Default NGD: Eastman E8OM TC

8/23/22 update in post 62

It’s been nearly two years since I’ve posted a NGD, the last being my Larrivee OM-03, a sweet guitar has been my lone workhorse for some time. It has done wonderfully for my needs: open tunings and finger style at home, standard and strumming at church. From at one time being the caretaker of 5 acoustics, I surprisingly learned to be somewhat content with my lone Larry. It’s not that I didn't look, mind you. I mean, I am a member of the AGF…#gasendures! But life the last few years has been such that justifying a “want” purchase just never made sense.

And yet, here I am posting a NGD? Well, last Thursday, due entirely to the incredible, mind-blowing, humbling kindness of a friend, I found myself waiting anxiously for the Big Brown Truck to deliver a new-to-me Eastman E8 OM TC.

WHAT?

Yep.

When I finally got to open the box, I was blown away. This guitar looks and smells brand new. There isn’t a scratch on it. I lifted it out of the case, took it all in: the gorgeous thermo-cured top, the herringbone purfling, the volute (who doesn’t love a dart volute?), the diamond and snowflake inlays. Stunning! I tuned it to my favorite tuning, CGCGCD, and put it through its paces. I was immediately struck by the ease of play. Of course, I’m in a drop tuning, so that lessens tension, but the neck felt great. Being and OM, there is familiarity with the tone from my Larrivee, but this is much more lush, thanks to the rosewood. It’s a totally different animal than the OM-03!

Fit and Finish: I’ve owned quite a few Eastmans over the last decade…more than I’d like to admit. This is the first upper-end Eastman I’ve had in my hands in 4 or 5 years, and let me tell you, their QC has improved a LOT. I remember the E20OM I had (circa 2013 model?) on which the 12th fret double markers were not straight, the purfling/binding at the neck was sloppy, and the finish had a good number of issues. There is none of that present on this E8OM. It is immaculate, top notch workmanship. The finish is flawless, playability is fantastic, and the neck carve feels great…nice, medium size C. The stock tuners are good, too. No trouble going from drop to standard, and they hold tune just fine.

Tone: Deep, lush rosewood goodness. Being an OM, balance is the name of the game, and I love it. I don’t know if it’s the TC top, or just the way Eastman builds, but it has wonderful sustain. The lows are SO NICE…deep, resounding, but not overpowering. The highs are crystal-clear, and the mids are just slightly scooped compared to my Larrivee (at least it seems that way to me). It is a perfect rosewood OM, in my book. Right now she’s strung with strings I have never used before, D’addario XT 80/20 lights. I am a PB guy through and through, but DANG if she doesn’t sound lovely with these strings! I want to try mediums on her, just to see (all I have at home are mediums), and will probably try a set of Martin Retro Laurence Jubers (true mediums) on hand. The action is slightly higher than I like, but with plenty of room on the saddle, I’ve got room to bring it down some.

Right now, I’m thinking this guitar will be my alternate tuning/fingerstyle guitar. It just suits it so well! I have tuned it up to standard, and it’s no slouch, but it doesn’t quite have the clarity the Larrivee does there (and I’m pretty heavy handed with a pick). I do want to see how it handles strumming with mediums, for my own edification, but the Larrivee does so well in standard, I think it will handle those duties while the E8 gets the playing time for all things alternate/finger style. Even with short scale and lights, this guitar is wonderful in CGCGCD, and that surprised me. So curious to see how that works with mediums!

Every time I pick this guitar up, I smile. Every time I look it over, I smile. It is an extremely well made instrument, and it’s qualities are both seen and heard. I just feel and see quality instrument when I hold it. It has a totally different voice/feel than my Larrivee, and I’m so thankful for that…they compliment each other very, very nicely. They each make me play differently.

But most of all, when I pick it up, I’m reminded that music is a gift, and as amazing as this instrument is, the gift behind it is all the more precious. I’m definitely not worthy, of the quality of instrument, but much less the friendship behind the gift.

But I am oh so very grateful.

Edit: I created a video review as well:

Last edited by Treenewt; 08-23-2022 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

That’s great. That’s cool that it’s a rosewood to compliment the Larrivee
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 04-01-2021, 02:10 PM

Congratulations from another Eastman E8OM owner. Great guitars all around.

You describe the tone very well -- I love the richness -- and the feel of the neck.

Enjoy!!
Old 04-01-2021, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm a fan of Eastman sitka tops in general. I'm sure this is really sweet!
Old 04-01-2021, 02:56 PM

Wow, congrats! What an amazing gift! That is a looker for sure. Enjoy in good health.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:56 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Sweet! Congrats!

Old 04-01-2021, 03:46 PM

Thanks y'all!
Old 04-01-2021, 03:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Great and inspiring post. Congrats!!!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 04-01-2021, 03:56 PM

Very nice. And your enthusiasm is very evident! Enjoy
Old 04-01-2021, 04:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Eastman does a great job with their OM's. Yours is a beauty! Great NGD post, and congrats!
Old 04-01-2021, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Congrats!

I know exactly what you are feeling....

I have an E20OM TC
Old 04-01-2021, 06:13 PM

I heard a recording/youtube with a guy playing one of those recently and thought it sounded really good! Congrats! Happy NGD!
Old 04-01-2021, 07:35 PM

Congrats! I have the non-thermal cured version of your guitar (the E8OM), and it's going nowhere! It plays great, it looks great, and it sounds fantastic. Also, you're right - Eastman really has upped their game in recent years. I remember playing several of them 10 years ago, and thinking they were mediocre at best.

My Eastman E8OM

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 04-01-2021, 07:54 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Congrats Newt!

So tell us more about "the gift." A friend gave you the guitar?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-01-2021, 08:19 PM

Thanks so much everyone...it is a real blessing to get to play an instrument that makes you smile every time you pick it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Congrats Newt!

So tell us more about "the gift." A friend gave you the guitar?
Barry,

Yessir...this is someone I’ve known for a few years now. They know a bit of my story (it’s a long story!) and said they just felt led to gift me this guitar! It was out of the blue, and not something we’d discussed or talked about at all. It still boggles my mind!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
e8om, eastman