The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Other

Old 12-08-2020, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Dreadnought Set from The Tree

SOLD!!!

Hi All!

I have one Martin size dreadnought set from The Tree available for sale. This set came from an extra dense board of from The Tree (https://acousticguitar.com/welcome-to-the-jungle/), which I had cut into two dreadnought acoustic guitar sets. I am keeping one set for myself, so when I learn how to make acoustic guitars I will build a guitar with it, and have the other set, this one for sale. The price is only $3,499.95 or best offer.

Wood from The Tree is unlike any wood you will see in that it has an unique amazing 3D appearance, while the board is flat. It has a tone that is between typical Genuine Mahogany and Brazilian Rosewood. This set cut from this particular board, while not as figured as previous sets I have cut is noticeable more dense than all the Tree sets I have owned and currently own. The figure looks like a cross between little Rolling Hills and Sausage Quilt, with a hint of Reptilian veining.

To cut up wood from The Tree is very expensive and costs over $100.00 per hour for labor.

I have one Martin Dreadnought back and side set for sale. The back set is actually big enough for a Jumbo size guitar, but not knowing the side dimensions for Jumbo I'm not sure if the sides are long and wide enough for Jumbo...This set while not extremely high figured wood, does have excellent tap tone, almost close to Brazilian Rosewood. I would rate the figure at 3AAA out of 5AAAAA.

I have heard luthiers say The Tree wood taps like Brazilian Rosewood, but of the 20 sets I have owned only the two sets I cut from this board actually have more of a Brazilian Rosewood like tone.

Most of the images show the pieces after being rough sanded from an Oscillating Drum Sander to 120 grit. I have updated my photos and have applied Shellac to parts of the set to show the figure of the wood better. The third photo is a good representation of what the wood would look like on a finish guitar even though it's still only been rough sanded...

Wood from The Tree has been sitting around for about 40 years and is extremely stable with low moisture content.

The thicknesses are fairly close to the listed dimensions. (Please be aware these two photos were taken indoors at twilight and the lighting isn't that great. I plan on taking the wood outside to shoot better photos by day light.)

Back Set 15

Close-ups of Back Set 15 With One Side Sprayed With Shellac

Specifications:
The Tree, Genuine Mahogany, Set 15 (photos 1 & 2): The backs will fit up to Martin Size Jumbo with the backs L 24" x W 9.75". One half is T .1875" and the other half is .1250" thick. The thinnest back half weighs approx. 369 grams on my scale.

Side Set B: L 34.875" x W 4.875" x T 1/8" Side Set B should be long enough for a cutaway for a dreadnought. Since it is from the same board as the backs the sides are also dense and have a nice tap tone. This would be a medium figure set with excellent tap tone. The wood has a nice mid-rangy plus more glass like tap tone. The price is only $3,499.95 or best offer.

Side Set B came from the same board this back set came from. The original board was 1 1/16" x 9.75" x 48.375". It isn’t always common to have the back set cut from the same board as the back set, but this is one of the exceptions.

Side Set B showing a small portion which has been shellacked

Side Set B showing the back of one side which has been shellacked

Photo 7 below shows a guitar made from The Tree I supplied a famous builder down in Santa Cruz. It has 5AAAAA figure.

I have access to other boards of The Tree, which can be used to make both electric and acoustic guitars. The cost of the wood is very expensive per board foot, but one would certainly have a rare and exquisite looking guitar!!!

The original board these backs were cut from below. I might add that the images of the wood pictured have not been final sanded, nor do they have a finish on them, so these photo don't The Tree justice. As one can see from the image of the finished guitar, The Tree is amazingly stunning!!!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by bond_fan; 04-20-2021 at 01:34 PM. Reason: SOLD!!!
Old 12-08-2020, 06:58 AM

Such gorgeous wood!
Years ago, I bought an old dresser that had very similar wood in the drawer bottoms. Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was just veneer, and very thin at that!
Old 12-08-2020, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

With the exception of "photo 7," the images aren't coming through for me.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
With the exception of "photo 7," the images aren't coming through for me.
That's because I hadn't uploaded any photos of this set yet.

I just took and uploaded two photos of the back halves, but these are poor quality photos. I will have to shoot better photos of the back and shoot photos of the sides in day light...
Old 12-09-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Oh, my mistake. I didn't realize that because the listing didn't say "Images coming soon..." at the time I posted
Old 12-12-2020, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

No problem!
Old 12-13-2020, 05:54 PM

Hoover said when it was $40 a set he thought he should buy some.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Hoover said when it was $40 a set he thought he should buy some.
Those who can spot the trends are fabulously wealthy. The rest of us are left to ponder what might have been. I venture to think that 99.9% of us are like that. It's not a bad thing. I don't want to be one of the 0.1%.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

I have updated my photos and have applied Shellac to parts of the set to show the figure of the wood better.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Merry Christmas!!!
Old 01-03-2021, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-09-2021, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Bump to the top....
Old 01-30-2021, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Bump to the top....
Old 03-14-2021, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Bump......
Old 03-25-2021, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Bump to the top....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Other

Tags
acoustic guitar, dreadnought guitar, martin jumbo guitar, the tree, the tree guitar