The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-19-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Not that it matters much, but if you note her use of her right hand, she is playing what lutenists called "thumb-under" technique, which refers to the position of the thumb relative to the fingers of the right hand. That was standard technique for lute players.

Also, not that it matters much, but the lute Bream played was what is sometimes referred to as a lute-guitar or guitar-lute. It had fixed metal, rather than tied gut, frets and was braced with a fan brace like a classical guitar. He played it using classical guitar technique, rather than a more traditional lute technique. Still, sounded good.

Traditionally, lutes were VERY lightly built, unlike modern guitars, nylon or steel string. Most guitarists who pick up one of my lutes are amazed at how light lutes are.
I did notice her right hand and found it interesting and thought it looked cumbersome but I saw another video of a guy doing the same thing. I didn't know you built lutes too that's cool. It's been something I wanted to try at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
That's fabulous. And her tapering fingers look just like those of lady lutenists in the old paintings.

Is that a lute, just in a guitar shape? Sounds great.
The instrument is called a vihuela. Six double course (double strung) strings tuned like a lute. On your guitar if you drop the 3rd string from G to F# you have the same tuning relatively speaking and as such can read off of the original tabulature.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Because Classicals/nylon strings sound different.

In the right hands, a nylon string is far more dynamic and expressive than a steel string could ever be. You owe it to yourself to try a decent one.
Listen to this man, 100% correct
Old 12-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Runaway Tomato

I use both (check sig). For me, the steel string accompanies singing or plays in the church band. The classical is much more expressive and gets a lot of couch and small gathering time. My Yairi is much louder than any of my previous steel string guitars btw, although my current Taylor is in the neighborhood.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 12-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Guitars are first and fundamentally TOOLS. The smart musician chooses the right tool with the right tone to get the job done!

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, classical guitar, differences