The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
You could buy both, keep the one you prefer, and flip the other.
When i said money was not an issue... i meant to buy one. Money is definitely an issue, otherwise i would've gone for a D28
Old 07-19-2019, 12:55 PM

Larrivee hasn't used mahogany for several years so I assume you mean an older model.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Larrivee hasn't used mahogany for several years so I assume you mean an older model.
Depends how specific you want to get. They use “African Mahogany” or Kyaha, and as someone who owns one, it’s pretty dang close to Honduran mahogany in tone if not sight.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrivoges View Post
When i said money was not an issue... i meant to buy one. Money is definitely an issue, otherwise i would've gone for a D28
If D-28 is what you REEEEALLLY want, that’s what you should go for. I’m not sure what kind of deal you’re getting for LV-09 but used D-28 should not be much more. Even if it’s couple hundred more, I would wait and save and get what I really want rather than compromising. I’m not sure if you are aware but new Martin can be easily had for 40% off MSRP (Not MAP).

I like both Larrivee and Martin guitars. However given a choice between Lv-09 and D-28, I would choose D28. With its non-scalloped bracing, it provides prefect balance without too much overtone but just enough to make it sweet.

Last edited by SKYHIGH; 07-19-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
If D-28 is what you REEEEALLLY want, that’s what you should go for. I’m not sure what kind of deal you’re getting for LV-09 but used D-28 should not be much more. Even if it’s couple hundred more, I would wait and save and get what I really want rather than compromising.

I like both Larrivee and Martin guitars. However given a choice between Lv-09 and D-28, I would choose D28. With its non-scalloped bracing, it provides prefect balance without too much overtone but just enough to make it sweet.
Yeah, if a D-28 is what you really want then get it, personally I'd take my L-10 over a D-28 but different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:35 PM

I think that either model will demonstrate the characteristics of the back/sides well. So if you know that you prefer rosewood, get the 9. It will sound rosewoody.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:36 PM

I agree with the general views on Rosewood vs 'Hog tone; I would only add that the mahogany Larrivees I've played, (especially my own L-03) seem to exhibit a bit more complexity than one normally expects from that Sitka-over-'hog combo.

It isn't as dry-sounding, lacking harmonics compared to rosewood, as most of the other mahogany guitars I've played, regardless of brand. Of course, it is also 15 years old and gets a lot of play, so it is wonderfully seasoned.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 07-19-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
If D-28 is what you REEEEALLLY want, that’s what you should go for. I’m not sure what kind of deal you’re getting for LV-09 but used D-28 should not be much more. Even if it’s couple hundred more, I would wait and save and get what I really want rather than compromising. I’m not sure if you are aware but new Martin can be easily had for 40% off MSRP (Not MAP).

The Lv-09e i can get at $1300. The best deal i could get on a D28 is $2300. That is a major jump and i only have $1600 available, but its a fair point regarding waiting for what i really want
Old 07-19-2019, 06:39 PM

No question, go for the LV-09 and don't look back. I think the step up to an 09 model always includes a bit nicer guitar and better woods used. I also love the Rosewood tonality. I have five vintage Larrivees and 4 are Spruce/Rosewood and all are 09 and 10 series. You won't regret it.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
I agree with the general views on Rosewood vs 'Hog tone; I would only add that the mahogany Larrivees I've played, (especially my own L-03) seem to exhibit a bit more complexity than one normally expects from that Sitka-over-'hog combo.

It isn't as dry-sounding, lacking harmonics compared to rosewood, as most of the other mahogany guitars I've played, regardless of brand. Of course, it is also 15 years old and gets a lot of play, so it is wonderfully seasoned.
This has been my experience as well.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:04 PM

Haven't played those models but I have played the D40's which I'm in love with. I like a deep and pronounced bass so I usually resort to rosewood, I wish mahogany didn't have such a quiet bass end, but if you mostly strum mahogany might be it. I love rosewood for dinner picking because of the clarity and I don't use finger picks, so the rosewood helps so much, but strumming with a pick I almost find rosewoods often a little too bright and trebly.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:28 PM

I also lead worship, mostly from a Seth Avett d35 and a larrivee p09, but one of my electric guitarists has a mid 90s L09 and it is one of the best acoustics I have ever played.

Last edited by atticus1019; 07-19-2019 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 07-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

I can't speak to what JCL achieves with Mahogany but I have 2 Rosewood with Spruce Top Larrys. A D-19 and an L-09. I love both and will never sell either. The L's are a great, versatile size for strumming or fingerpicking. Although I've played for years I recently began lessons for fingerpicking, which I had never really learned properly before. My instructor really likes the L-09 RW which I bring to lessons. He owns a couple of his own Larrivees as well, all Rosewood. Maybe that says something,

Last edited by gmel555; 07-19-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

I agree with the statements that Larrivee’s mahogany guitars have a bit more complexity to them than the standard Sitka/mahogany guitar from any of the big three brands. Personally I wouldn’t pick a Martin dread to play with a worship band, I’d need a balanced instrument for that and the LV I think would suit the mix better. I’m also biased because I strongly dislike plastic binding on guitars and most Larrivee’s don’t have any ivoroid except maybe to bind the fingerboard on older models. I love the flame maple binding they use.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 07-19-2019, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

I have a 2005 OM-05 that is spruce/hog. I think its a win/win situation regardless of which back/sides you choose. A Larrivee spruce/hog guitar is much different than a Martin or Gibson with the same top/back woods (I know I have all three).

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
larrivee, lv-05, lv-09