The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Accept full credit at a shop that can and has overpriced or sell elsewhere for less
Store Credit 39 82.98%
Sell Elsewhere 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
First of all, don't beat yourself up about this. It won't help the situation. You are human. You got excited about fulfilling a desire. You made a mistake.

Everybody with any mileage has a few of these kinds if decisions under their belts whether they will admit to them or not.

Given your choices, take the full store credit. Within the year you have with that, something may come along that suits you. If not, there will be newer guitars the will not be problematic.

You did not specify the problems with this guitar. Another option may be to bite the bullet and get repairs done as money permits. Structural issues first, then cosmetic.

If you like the guitar it may be worth the repair costs to have it brought to a good playable condition even if you end up with more money in it than it is worth.

I would only do this if you intend to keep the guitar.

Good luck.
Appreciate your kindness and sympathy Paddy! Think this is the way I'm going - currently trying to ask if they could keep their ears to the ground for a couple models I'd really like - I'll continue to save also increasing the available fund so hopefully when the right one comes along I'll be able to buy it! It's with a view to some very serious structural issues that can occur and could already be hinted at by some presently manageable defects. Probably run quite a bit to repair also. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Well, first of all I would check the consumer laws where you are and see if there is a law that says you can return goods within a certain period. Store policy cannot supercede law, no matter what the store says.

Second, listen to the guitar and see if you can find what you liked about it in the first place.

Third, I voted for store credit if you really have to unload it.
Upon checking the store is within its rights to offer a credit note but no return of funds so theres nothing there unfortunately. Still trying to find it again for the next couple days in the hopes of turning this around but come next Monday its probably going back should I feel the same. thank you for your advice!
Old 07-05-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
This ^^^

And, regardless of your handling/inspecting the guitar in-store before the purchase, was the guitar's condition in any way mis-represented to you?

If paid by credit card, I'd also talk to my card company about whether a refund can be forced on the merchant, if appropriate to the circumstances and policies.
I'd say I wasn't, on the website they didn't picture the faults with the guitar specifically but only on reverb have I seen this kind of detail and honesty (not to say the shop was being dishonest)

This is an option however not sure if I should play this card yet
Old 07-05-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songman2 View Post
Keep the guitar and shop around to find one you really want. Trade it in that shop.Chalk down the loss to experience. Taking the store credit means you will have to be happy with whatever they have to offer in the near future, your hands will be tied.
I tried this the day of trying to return it and two turned me away for the bad quality of the neck repair amongst other things - to ensure that this guitar meets its full trade value as is, I feel store credit is the best way to go or selling elsewhere at a reduced price.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I don't understand this. Did you see any ad that said they accepted returns, and, if so, did it specify returns from online purchases only?

I would think twice about accepting store credit from a store that would not accept a return a day later. If they advertise that returns are accepted, without saying from online purchases only, I would complain.

I would not want to do business again with this store.
Refund policy

If an item is received that is not per our detailed description in terms of condition , originality we offer a full refund policy of 7 days after receipt of item.
Return of Product.
When returning a product, it is the sole responsibility of the customer to ensure that any goods are repackaged securely and goods are recieved back in the same condition they were recieved in. Only when goods are recieved back in the condition sent, will a refund be issued.
Refund Method
Refunds will be made by the method of payment which was used to pay for the instrument/item ie PayPal to PayPal, Wire to Wire, Cash to Cash.
If you do not like your purchase
If you wish to return your purchase due to not liking the item, you have 48 hours to recieve a full refund. Outside of the 48hour duration a credit note will be issued for the cost of the item.

Seeing it now I should have asked in the store to be sure ://
another worry about accepting store credit with them as after this is all said and done I'll be very wary about going back if at all
Old 07-05-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I don't get it. I don't think you've said what guitar this is or what it is that you now don't like. How can anyone give you good advice without knowing the guitar or what's bothering you about it?
Sorry for the secrecy, it was on the off chance that someone who worked there might be here and twig affecting the terms of its return or something, a little too paranoid of me I'll admit.

Its a 1964 fixed bridge B25-12: theres some problem chords that cause the bridge to buzz as well as individual notes (a factor when you consider I intend to record with it), an ugly neck repair, a hole that wasn't through the end pin cut for a pickup, a crack along the sound hole where the pick guard meets it (extra worry from what I've read about these buckling on themselves because of the 12 string tension) and generally just not satisfied with the sound as I was at the time.

I had tried a B45-12 in another shop and absolutely loved it but it was £2000 so out of my budget - tried the B25-12 and thought it was my lucky day.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Apparently just a straightforward case of buyer's remorse. Offering a store credit for 100% of the purchase price is entirely reasonable.
This too, agreed and should say I do appreciate the fairness in that just other factors that caused complication

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice. new guitar, help!, vintage acoustic