The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Help! I am smitten (by a Bourgeois)

With a spare half hour resulting from an unprecedented lack of traffic, I stopped by my local-est guitar shop today to visit all of the fantastic instruments that I can't afford. One stopped me totally dead in my tracks...a used Bourgeois Slope D.

I have been lucky enough to visit a TON of shops all over the country due to work travel and downtime and have played lots and lots of acoustic and electric guitars that far outpaced my skill (and budget). I have owned a bunch of pretty nice instruments also but have always settled back to my two homemade Fender-style partscasters and my well-worn 2009 Martin OM-21. I play out with the electrics with some regularity and they are good to me. I write on the Martin and it records really well and has broken in to the point that it's going to be a lifer. Most of my gear has been acquired via my flipping stuff from Craigslist and building partscasters for a little profit. I call it 'guitarbitrage.'

(Sorry to be so longwinded) I've got a reasonably seasoned and experienced ear but have never been so struck by an instrument. So...the point...It's unlikely that this guitar, new or used, will be something I can afford in the forseeable future. I loved the sound and the feel so much that I could barely stand to play it. Is there any instrument for me to search for that could compare to this thing but on a leaner budget? Is there some sort of sleeper Slope D out there that any of you could recommend?

I thought if there was any place I could seek counsel on this, it would be here.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:36 PM

The takeaway from your post is that you’ve experienced a lot of guitars by getting out and PLAYING them. Which, by the way is the only way to properly evaluate one for purchase and increase the odds exponentially that it will be a keeper. I naively think that’s everyone’s objective but it’s obvious by reading buying reports that many like the game of chance and relying on the opinions of others.

You did it the right way!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-08-2019, 08:17 PM

Bourgeois guitars, all I've ever played or owned, are fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz761 View Post
...Is there any instrument for me to search for that could compare to this thing but on a leaner budget?...
Not That I've ever played. You get what you pay for.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:33 PM

I totally get it! My bourgeois is like home just perfect
Old 01-08-2019, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

It’ll be difficult to find a guitar that strikes you the way this one does regardless of price. This may very well be the standard by which you will measure every guitar in the future.

I’ve heard many here searching for a guitar similar to one that they played and were amazed by. Only to regret not buying it.

If I were you, I’d find a way to buy it.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 PM

Does your local-est music shop have any kind of layaway possibility or pay as you go?? Would they finance you with small interest charge and agreed upon re-payment terms and monthly figure to send them? What the heck.....all they can do is say "no" and they might say "yes", or create some other kind of way forward for you!! If they know and appreciate that you're a local musician, that could change things on their end as well. They might see possibilities going forward for them with word of mouth and recommendations as you're publicly active in the area.
As was already mentioned, you've really zeroed in on this one......wouldn't want to lose it!!
Bourgeois's are great guitars!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Last edited by islandguitar; 01-08-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:49 PM

This is why the " local-est guitar shop" does long lay-a-ways for their best, local customers. At least, I hope maybe they would for you. This is also why they invented credit cards, personal credit lines, guitar financing, etc. Not that I am encouraging any of these financial shenanigans. I just want you to get that guitar....
Old 01-08-2019, 09:53 PM

Was this Golden Age Guitars by chance? Great shop.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:17 PM

I played several of Dana’s dreads at SPBGMA a few years ago and was floored by every one of them. Easily the nicest, loudest and best sounding acoustic guitars I’ve ever heard. There was absolutely no way I could afford one at the time or now, BUT by acquiring a couple of nicer Taylors, I’m trading them to a 2014 slope shoulder Adi/hog Bourgeois dread and should have it by next weekend. I believe it’ll work out for you to get one too and I really hope you can! Who do I need to call to beg for them to work with you!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-08-2019, 10:35 PM

Good luck, man. I played a Collings OM2H a few years back that ruined me. I’ve not found anything close to it. I’m thankful for what I have, and I can’t justify spending that kind of scratch on a guitar, but I’ll say this: when one trips your trigger, you better be ready to pay up, or you’ll spend your days trying to find that tone elsewhere. I’m learning it’s better not to play what I can’t afford, cause it will just drive me nuts.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:41 AM

I played a 12 fret slope D at The Fretted Buffalo, and it is outstanding!
Old 01-09-2019, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
With a spare half hour resulting from an unprecedented lack of traffic, I stopped by my local-est guitar shop today to visit all of the fantastic instruments that I can't afford. One stopped me totally dead in my tracks...a used Bourgeois Slope D.

I have been lucky enough to visit a TON of shops all over the country due to work travel and downtime and have played lots and lots of acoustic and electric guitars that far outpaced my skill (and budget). I have owned a bunch of pretty nice instruments also but have always settled back to my two homemade Fender-style partscasters and my well-worn 2009 Martin OM-21. I play out with the electrics with some regularity and they are good to me. I write on the Martin and it records really well and has broken in to the point that it's going to be a lifer. Most of my gear has been acquired via my flipping stuff from Craigslist and building partscasters for a little profit. I call it 'guitarbitrage.'

(Sorry to be so longwinded) I've got a reasonably seasoned and experienced ear but have never been so struck by an instrument. So...the point...It's unlikely that this guitar, new or used, will be something I can afford in the forseeable future. I loved the sound and the feel so much that I could barely stand to play it. Is there any instrument for me to search for that could compare to this thing but on a leaner budget? Is there some sort of sleeper Slope D out there that any of you could recommend?

I thought if there was any place I could seek counsel on this, it would be here.
My Slope D is one of the best all rounders I have. Sounds great fingerpicked, strummed and flat picked - in the studio or on stage. I used it for about 5 years live in a 5 piece country rock band with a Highlander under the saddle and it always cut through the mix without much effort by FOH and reliable. It's a keeper.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

@blue4now It was Golden Age. John is a nice guy and I imagine it would be tough for a small businessperson to put things on layaway etc.

Thanks to everyone for the insights. As much as I would love to pull the trigger...it wouldn't be fiscally responsible right now. I try to maintain a one way street for my 'extra' income (earned from playing music, selling and swapping music gear and other items etc) into the household funds.

Too many other obligations at the moment. Situations like this really make me wish I had chosen a different line of work!

I'll keep an eye on this guitar and see if there's some way to make it happen when I can...hopefully sooner than later.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
@blue4now It was Golden Age. John is a nice guy and I imagine it would be tough for a small businessperson to put things on layaway etc.

Thanks to everyone for the insights. As much as I would love to pull the trigger...it wouldn't be fiscally responsible right now. I try to maintain a one way street for my 'extra' income (earned from playing music, selling and swapping music gear and other items etc) into the household funds.

Too many other obligations at the moment. Situations like this really make me wish I had chosen a different line of work!

I'll keep an eye on this guitar and see if there's some way to make it happen when I can...hopefully sooner than later.

I was there last Saturday and was equally taken with the Bourgeois OM short scale that was there. If only it had a smaller neck, it would be perfection for me.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Default I am smitten by a Bourgeois

Aren’t we all. The secret is to not look at them on the internet. And, if you run into one in your favorite LGS, do NOT, under any circumstances, pick it up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois, slope d