The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2018, 02:26 PM

Default What kind of wood is this guitar?

Does anyone know what kind of the wood this Segovia guitar is made from? https://ibb.co/dkw3m7 It appears to be an idiosyncratic guitar with its narrow neck its dark mottled wood (I don`t know a lot about guitars, I`m just a beginner who plays electric, thinking about purchasing a used acoustic to travel with ).

Last edited by Coolhndluke; 05-04-2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Cannot see the photo
Old 05-04-2018, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Birdseye maple maybe?

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Here's the poster's Image
Old 05-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

It's most likely some maple veneer. The undertones of the grain look like flame maple...the stuff on top of that almost seems fake, but I've seen lots of crazy maple figure in my life, so who knows.

Just my two cents, don't buy your first guitar for looks ;-)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:04 PM

It is called photo-flame maple, I am quite certain about that.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:58 PM

Luke, as the other folks in this thread have said, the wood in question is maple of some sort, laminated maple most likely. I would consider it to be birdseye maple, but there are a number of common names to describe wood figure.

While it’s quite striking from a visual standpoint, it’s not a great wood for an acoustic guitar top. Gibson uses laminated maple for tops on some of its electric archtop guitars, but they do that precisely because it INHIBITS the top from vibrating and prevents feedback that way.

But on acoustic guitars the top is where at least 90% of the tone is generated, probably more. So if you buy this guitar because you like the wood figure, you’re going to be handicapping yourself from a musical standpoint.

In the price range where this guitar has been listed, you can easily get an instrument with a solid spruce or cedar top. It makes a HUGE difference to the sound, so I strongly recommend that you avoid this maple-topped guitar and get one with a solid wood top.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-04-2018, 04:16 PM

Thank you all for the great information. This is exactly what I was interested in understanding! (The price is in pesos- it is on sale in the pawn shop for approx. $100USD. Poor quality photo I know).
Old 05-04-2018, 04:21 PM

The photo was kind of fuzzy and I made the assumption that the price was in US or Canadian dollars. For the equivalent of $100 USD, it’s going to be tougher to find a nice solid top acoustic guitar.

That said, all I wrote about getting a solid spruce or cedar top still stands: that’s where the tone gets generated.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, maple, segovia, wood