The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2018, 10:48 AM

Default Best Goodall Body style for a Strummer?

Hello fellow members!

I keep hearing about how great Goodall guitars are and I am looking to buy a used one here sometime this year, but before I do, wanted to ask a few questions for folks who have both played and owned them. I realize this will be subjective, but I am asking for opinions here

I am mainly a strummer (play for church) and wondering what you have seen as the best body style for that? From what I have heard, Goodall's have phenomenal complex overtones that can make that a challenge, but thought I would ask to see what your experience has been along the way.

There aren't any dealers within 300 miles of my location so I don't have the ability to try them against other guitars unfortunately. I have played and owned Collings, McPherson, Huss and Dalton, SCGC, Breedlove, Taylor, Hoffman, etc, So I do have some experience with other higher end builders, but just nothing in MN that stocks any Goodalls to my knowledge.

Thanks,
Zach
Old 01-26-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Write to Jean and ask her. [email protected]
I would think their Traditional series would be easier to strum than a model with more overtones. They have a Pacific model with maple that I have always wanted to try.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I always felt that was the strength of the Goodall Standard I used to own.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:25 PM

Thanks guys!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I'd say a Standard or a Concert Jumbo with mahogany and spruce would be a great strummer... the Standard is really a great guitar size/shape, if you're not adverse to a big guitar. The CJ will be slightly smaller (think= mini jumbo) but should perform well as a strummer, too.

Goodalls do have a lot "going on" with their sound, as far as resonance and overtones go, but personally, I'd rather have it and deal with damping those qualities than to have an instrument that is more dead and lifeless...

Goodalls are the finest acoustic instruments I have played in all my years of loving the acoustic guitar... good luck on finding a great one for you!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-26-2018, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I personally think its the Traditional Dreadnought. There’s a nice TMhD on Reverb currently for a good buy.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 01-27-2018, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

All Goodalls have that unique sound based around rich overtones. Some have it more than others, and in the few that I have owned (out of many played), I feel it has been related to wood combos more than body size.

I haven’t owned a mahogany Goodall, but a couple of very knowledgeable posters above have suggested hog as your best bet. So maybe concentrate on woods, and choose a body size that you find comfortable?

Col
Old 01-27-2018, 01:33 AM

Thank you all very much! I appreciate the advice!
Old 01-27-2018, 03:16 AM

Its best to try them out yourself at a shop that carries a few different models of goodall guitsrs. I have a rcgc thats a pretty decent strummer.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

+1 on the CJ, I had one custom built to order with beeswing figured mahogany and enjoyed that guitar or many years for writing, recording and gigging. It was very versatile and a lovely strummer!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:32 AM

I've had a few Goodall models, including a Long Dred.

As a full time strummer, with some flat pick embellishment, I think the best model is the Grand Concert. I think it's the perfect body style in that it has all the volume of a nice dred, and the articulation of a smaller body.

Mie was Cocobolo/Spruce, and if you find that in a Goodall, hang on, it's a powerful instrument.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-27-2018, 09:08 PM

This is great advice! Thank you all!
Old 01-27-2018, 10:30 PM

I have a Rosewood Sitka Concert Jumbo. On the label it specifies that lights and mediums can be used on that instrument. I have tried both. I like mediums better than lights. Even with mediums my guitar can be played with a light touch and it is so responsive. I do have the action pretty low for fingerstyle but it handles strumming just fine. If I were going to just strum it I would raise the saddle back up.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, goodall, mcpherson