The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2017, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

I am like jt1. I'm in it for the stories. To keep these instruments making music (if you can call my playing music). To feel inspired by holding and feeling the vibrations of the 80 year old wood. To take them out of attics, out from under beds, and storage sheds. Keep saving and you can take a stepwise path to getting into vintage guitars. You don't need to spend a large fortune on a guitar until you have a really large fortune.

Most people that say negative things about vintage guitars do not own them or simply repeat internet "knowledge". All acoustic guitars will need a re-fret and a neck re-set in their lifetimes. Some after 5 years and some after 40 years, but it's scheduled maintenance. Once re-set, there is very little maintenance. It is rare for a guitar to ever need a second re-set. Sure folks didn't have heat, air conditioning, or humidifiers back in the 30's. But once the guitar is brought back to life, it is indeed alive, and nowadays we do have heat, a/c and humidity control. The guitars in bad shape can be brought back and will not go back into bad shape any more than any newer lightly built guitar. The guitars in poor shape can be left for those more adventurous. A good dealer will guide you. Another thing is that a vintage guitar is much less prone to humidity changes now that the wood is old and movements have occurred.

You can start with Stella, Harmony, Kalamazoo, Gibson, and then the perhaps Martin.

I have too many guitars and the average age is 64. My 1936 Kalamazoo is worth $1,200, the '37 00-17 about $4,500, the '33 OM....a lot more. I like them and play them equally. It's not about the money that makes them valuable. My favorite today is the '37 000-18. Purchased from the original owner, age 92. His dad bought it new for his 12th birthday. The guitar came to my attention when he tried to trade it in for a garage door opener.

Best of luck,
Old 01-18-2017, 06:10 AM

Well said Jim. I love thinking about who has held and played the guitars I'm watching over for now, what songs were played on them, where they've been. If they could only talk as well as sing!

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 01-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Easier to think in eras, which are usually bookmarked by some significant change. For example, a prewar Martin has changes in bracing and necks both at the beginning when they began bracing for steel strings in the 20s and at the war, with narrower necks, forward X bracing, and by 1944, then ending of scalloped bracing. The postwar era could be said to have ended when Martin ceased using Brazilian in the late 1960s. Gibson has different markers, with a prewar ear, the wartime "Banner" guitars, and a postwar era that ended earlier than Martins with experiments like screwed on and plastic bridges. Post 1970 also began to see the rise of newer builders, like Gurian, Taylor, and the small-shop/boutique builders.

So I guess that saying "vintage" is onl6y half the descriptor: "70s-vintage," "pre-war vintage," "50s vintage."

As to experience; others on this thread have far more than I, but one thing that I have learned is that unlike when buying a new guitar, or even a recent vintage used one, where you are buying a guitar for what it is, when buying older vintages you have to be able to evaluate what the guitar could be. Of my three "vintage" guitars, both old Martins needed neck resets and frets, and one needed finish-work and a pickguard. The Gibson Banner, by contrast, had had all necessary work done by the previous owner and was good to go right out of the gate. All three were priced according to condition and work needed.

So I guess that the takeaway is that old guitars may need more care and maintenance than a new one. I am willing to invest the money, because of the return that I get in playing these old guitars and helping insure that they stick around. I do love my new guitars as well; but I am a bit saddened at the knowledge that I'll never hear my Froggy when she turns 70. But at 20, she sure is lovely.

TW
Well, at least one person defines the term vintage correctly. The word means nothing without a year, or period.

I sad that a few mails back, but as usual, some simple concepts like this are often ignored.
Tonight I'll be playing my vintage 2007 Collings.

Smoke if you got 'em.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:22 AM

Loving this thread. Add me to the list of people who believe that a great guitar benefits from age. I was a convert from the first time I played one: I was pulling Martin D-18s blindly off Lark St's rack. I pulled one that seemed a bit more worn, but I wasn't paying attention - I hit a chord and everything changed. Stepping into a 1940 D-18 blindly was a great one-timer.

I currently have two late 20's/early 30's smallbody Martins and a '46 J-45. They have been really straightforward to maintain, and each provides a standout playing experience. Bar frets on a smallbody Martin are their own Thing. I didn't understand how they were different until I got my hands on one. The "ledge-iness" of bar frets and the overall feel of the neck have their own responsiveness.

I took steps along the way as I learned what worked for me, and am still learning, but have loved the journey.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Vintage guitars are definitely hit or miss, especially when looking for a "affordable" one. My number one rule I learned over time was don't buy other peoples junk!
Old 01-18-2017, 01:23 PM

Proceed with caution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
vintage acoustic