The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-25-2015, 07:51 AM

Default Yamaha APX500II - Do I need a preamp for it?

Hi. First post on this forum. Been lurking for a while to learn as much as I can but being pretty new to the intricacies of using acoustics live, I have a few questions I can couldn't really figure out by myself.

I've pretty much been an electric player for the last 6 years but just recently started a project where I want to exclusively use acoustics. It's a 3-piece ambient project with the acoustic, piano/synths and drum machines so stage volume would be pretty low most of the time.

Now, I just moved cities for college so I'm yet to buy a guitar here but having played a bunch these past weeks I'm pretty settled on a Yamaha APX500II. I'll be running this through a Line 6 M9.

What I can't figure out is if I'll need a preamp. The APX500 uses the ART system, from what I've gathered. If that sounds fine straight into a DI box then I can just get a Radial PRO 48 but if I need a preamp as well I'd need to get a LR Para. Is that correct?

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit View Post
Hi. First post on this forum. Been lurking for a while to learn as much as I can but being pretty new to the intricacies of using acoustics live, I have a few questions I can couldn't really figure out by myself.

I've pretty much been an electric player for the last 6 years but just recently started a project where I want to exclusively use acoustics. It's a 3-piece ambient project with the acoustic, piano/synths and drum machines so stage volume would be pretty low most of the time.

Now, I just moved cities for college so I'm yet to buy a guitar here but having played a bunch these past weeks I'm pretty settled on a Yamaha APX500II. I'll be running this through a Line 6 M9.

What I can't figure out is if I'll need a preamp. The APX500 uses the ART system, from what I've gathered. If that sounds fine straight into a DI box then I can just get a Radial PRO 48 but if I need a preamp as well I'd need to get a LR Para. Is that correct?

Thanks.
The Yamaha ART system is a built-in preamp. The only reason you'd need an external device might be for EQing your guitar to sound better to your ears, especially under various venue conditions. The simpler you keep your signal chain the better and you can probably get by with the guitar as is.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-25-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The Yamaha ART system is a built-in preamp. The only reason you'd need an external device might be for EQing your guitar to sound better to your ears, especially under various venue conditions. The simpler you keep your signal chain the better and you can probably get by with the guitar as is.
Thanks, SpruceTop. I'll have a Line 6 M9 in my signal path which has an EQ section. So I guess I can just get a decent DI box (looking at the PRO 48 or the Whirlwind one) and that's it.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, SpruceTop. I'll have a Line 6 M9 in my signal path which has an EQ section. So I guess I can just get a decent DI box (looking at the PRO 48 or the Whirlwind one) and that's it.
Whirlwind products are made just down the road from where I live. I've dealt with Whirlwind for almost 40 years and can attest that they make no-nonsense, top-quality, priced-right, Made In U.S.A. products equal to or better than anything else out there!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 09-25-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Whirlwind products are made just down the road from where I live. I've dealt with Whirlwind for almost 40 years and can attest that they make no-nonsense, top-quality, priced-right, Made In U.S.A. products equal to or better than anything else out there!
Yes, I've only heard good things about Whirlwind. My old bandmate had their phaser and it sounded great and had top notch build quality.

From what I've read up on, I should be getting an active DI, right?

So should I get the Hotbox? Is the IMP-2 active?

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlwind-HOTB.../dp/B0002OKP0Y

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlwind-IMP2.../dp/B0002DUQ72
Old 09-26-2015, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I've only heard good things about Whirlwind. My old bandmate had their phaser and it sounded great and had top notch build quality.

From what I've read up on, I should be getting an active DI, right?

So should I get the Hotbox? Is the IMP-2 active?

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlwind-HOTB.../dp/B0002OKP0Y

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlwind-IMP2.../dp/B0002DUQ72
I'm curious, why are you considering using a Direct Box? Will your 3-piece combo be playing in auditoriums and large clubs where you'll have an audience-located soundman and mixing board that will be fed via a snake from the stage? If you're just going to mix your sound on the stage, you won't need a Direct Box as you'll plug your guitar into your Line 6 M9 and from that to an on-stage amp or mixer.

I've never had to use a Direct Box so I really can't advocate for either an active or passive version. Perhaps, you could start a new thread titled something like: "Do I Need To Use A Direct Box For my Acoustic Guitar?" This would get the attention of folks better able to address your concern.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
apx500, lr baggs, preamp, radial, yamaha