The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2013, 12:30 PM

Default Voyage-Air unstable action. Top bellying up?

I'm wondering if anyone has had problems of unstable action on a Voyage-Air guitar. Got a really nice set up on my VAD-1 about 6 weeks ago, and since then the action at the 12th has come up about from 6.5 to over 8 64ths. This was the 3rd major (expensive) set up in 3 years. Also noticing that the top seems to be bellying up a bit. Anyone had similar issues? PS: Out of warrantee.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:03 PM

Howdy -- I haven't had that problem on my VAD-06, but I have noticed that if I use the neck-heel button (the one that tightens the neck down) like it's an actual strap button, the pressure from the strap causes the button to loosen over time, and the neck joint starts to open up.

This of course causes the action to raise.

Luckily, I no longer really play that particular guitar standing up, so it's no issue, but if I needed to I'd want to install a strap button particularly for that purpose.

Also, FWIW, my guitar has a solid top, and I leave it out day and night -- while my Martins are finicky about humidity levels, the Voyage-Air doesn't seem to care one bit.

Wishing you luck!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:09 PM

Humidity? I haven't heard of this problem with bowing tops but it can happen. It may be out of warranty but touching base with Voyage-Air about a solution couldn't hurt.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Humidity? I haven't heard of this problem with bowing tops but it can happen. It may be out of warranty but touching base with Voyage-Air about a solution couldn't hurt.
You mean with the Voyage Air or humidity in general? Excess humidity will definitely belly a top.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

How about sending a pm to Harvey Leach?

I've had my VAD-2 for 3 years, and it has never needed a set up or truss rod adjustment. Where I live the relative humidity is mostly around 45-55%, and it stays out on a stand. When traveling, I bring a planet waves humidity gauge, and use a sponge humidifier if the RH goes below 40. If it goes over 65%, I rely on heat or AC to bring down the RH depending on the season.

If your problem is due to the hinge, it has a lifetime warranty.

Voyage-Air Guitar, Inc. Limited Warranty

1. Terms and Conditions. Voyage-Air Guitar, Inc. warrants solely to the original purchaser of a Voyage-Air Guitar, Inc. instrument that the instrument purchased shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of one (1) year. Additionally, the Voyage-Air guitar “hinge mechanism” is protected by a Lifetime Limited Warranty subject to the limitations listed below and will be replaced free of charge if necessary only for the original purchaser. This Limited Warranty does not apply: (a) to wear or breakage of frets or strings, or other normal wear and tear of the instrument or its parts; (b) defects caused by modification, misuse or abuse or improper maintenance of the instrument; (c) defects caused by accident or exposure to extremes of temperature or humidity which cause harm to the instrument; or (d) no warranty will be honored to anyone who did not purchase the instrument from an authorized Voyage-Air Guitar company dealer.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-20-2013, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Voyage-Air unstable action. Top bellying up?

I have had my VAD1 for 18 months now, not long, i know, but so far no issues. In fact it'd be longer, cos i got mine used.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has had problems of unstable action on a Voyage-Air guitar. Got a really nice set up on my VAD-1 about 6 weeks ago, and since then the action at the 12th has come up about from 6.5 to over 8 64ths. This was the 3rd major (expensive) set up in 3 years. Also noticing that the top seems to be bellying up a bit. Anyone had similar issues? PS: Out of warrantee.
Without looking at the guitar in person it's pretty hard to figure out what a cause might be. Humidity can of course create that effect on a guitar. Have you had a large change in humidity where you live? Is the neck joint tight? Is the bridge pulling up? Tops should belly a bit unless they are over braced but they should reach a point and then remain consistent with slight degradation over time. As a rule top bellying doesn't change rapidly unless there is a loose or broken brace.

The hinge wouldn't cause this because when the guitar is in the unfolded (playing) position the hinge is "invisible" both structurally and acoustically.

Harv
Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the reply Harvey. Can't blame excess humidity. The weather has been quite consistent for several months here, a little rainy, but the guitar has not been outdoors excessively. It's gotten a little warmer (finally!) but not especially hot. Can't find anyplace where the bridge shows any sign of pulling up. Neck joint is tight. No change in sound that might implicate a loose or broken brace, though I haven't gotten in there with a mirror to double check. I don't think the hinge is implicated either. I don't mind paying good money for a good set-up, but I hate to have to keep getting saddles shaved, shimmed or re-made. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Harvey. Can't blame excess humidity. The weather has been quite consistent for several months here, a little rainy, but the guitar has not been outdoors excessively. It's gotten a little warmer (finally!) but not especially hot. Can't find anyplace where the bridge shows any sign of pulling up. Neck joint is tight. No change in sound that might implicate a loose or broken brace, though I haven't gotten in there with a mirror to double check. I don't think the hinge is implicated either. I don't mind paying good money for a good set-up, but I hate to have to keep getting saddles shaved, shimmed or re-made. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
If it's raining outside than it's humid inside so that would be the first thing I would look at. First I would suggest getting a humidity gauge that way you will know for sure if it's too humid where you keep the guitar, than I would take the guitar to your luthier and ask him/her what they think the problem could be.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Of all the five guitar I have, my VAOM 04 is the most susceptible to humidity change. When my VAOM arrive from Elderly instrument, it arrives with very nice 2/32 action but because VAOM arrive with no hard case, I have to keep it in out of its gig bags all the time.

Within a month I have to sand the saddle twice in order to maintain the action. I immediately order a custom hardcase to keep it protected from humidity and put some 300 gr silica gel inside the case. Now the action is at healthy 2/32 (but with not much saddle left) but everytime I take it out for travelling in gig bag for 2 or 3 days, the action will quickly climb up to a noticeable tad above 2/32.

If that happen I would turn my aircon on all the time over the weekend and that usually will bring the action back. So for me yes, I would say VAOM action is unstable and fluctuate easily according to humidity.

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

2014 Cordoba Fusion 12 Natural

YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/hendragunawanng
Old 06-21-2013, 11:34 AM

You're worried about 1.5 1/64ths? On a travel guitar? Are you serious?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:58 PM

Interestingly this "travel guitar" is the one I'm using for festival performances and for teaching workshops all over Europe. And yes, that change makes a difference, especially flatpicking up the neck.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendra View Post
Of all the five guitar I have, my VAOM 04 is the most susceptible to humidity change. When my VAOM arrive from Elderly instrument, it arrives with very nice 2/32 action but because VAOM arrive with no hard case, I have to keep it in out of its gig bags all the time.

Within a month I have to sand the saddle twice in order to maintain the action. I immediately order a custom hardcase to keep it protected from humidity and put some 300 gr silica gel inside the case. Now the action is at healthy 2/32 (but with not much saddle left) but everytime I take it out for travelling in gig bag for 2 or 3 days, the action will quickly climb up to a noticeable tad above 2/32.

If that happen I would turn my aircon on all the time over the weekend and that usually will bring the action back. So for me yes, I would say VAOM action is unstable and fluctuate easily according to humidity.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I don't have aircon either here in Paris or at my place in the US. But I will try some silica gel, maybe that will help.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Interestingly this "travel guitar" is the one I'm using for festival performances and for teaching workshops all over Europe. And yes, that change makes a difference, especially flatpicking up the neck.
Something that might help in the future... Thom Bresh plays with very low action and he's quite sensitive to minor changes so he had his Voyage Air set up so while at home it is "right" with the strap bolt a bit loose. If he goes somewhere and he needs to lower the action he tightens the bolt a bit more... essentially using the folding as a neck adjustment for climate changes. It doesn't take much (like 1/8 turn) to give you quite a bit of adjustment.

Harv
Old 06-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
Thom Bresh plays with very low action and he's quite sensitive to minor changes so he had his Voyage Air set up so while at home it is "right" with the strap bolt a bit loose. If he goes somewhere and he needs to lower the action he tightens the bolt a bit more... essentially using the folding as a neck adjustment for climate changes. It doesn't take much (like 1/8 turn) to give you quite a bit of adjustment.
How cool…thanks for sharing that Harv...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
action, belly, problem, voyage-air