The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Best Value?
Martin 000-15m 22 35.48%
Yamaha FS5 40 64.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2021, 06:41 AM

Question Best Value Acoustic guitar? Martin vs Yamaha

So I've had my eye on the Martin 000-15m for as long as I can remember (big eddie vedder +john frusciante fan) so its sort of been a dream guitar of mine for awhile.

However I have recently discovered the Yamaha Red Label series (FS5, FSX5, FG5 & FGX5) and I am absolutely intrigued.

I know tonally they are a completely different kettle of fish to the 000-15m however here in Australia they are both at the same price point.

Given that we have been and will be in lockdown for the forseeable future and I can't go and play these guitars, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with or has played both series? If so which guitar do you think offers the most value?
Thanks!
Old 09-04-2021, 09:48 AM

Cool

Welcome to AGF! Good first post. I own the 00-15m and the FS5. I love doing polls too. I predict that the FS5 will get more votes than the 000-15m. We'll see.

I bought my FS5 in May 2019 soon after it came out in the market. I bought my 00-15m (new) in December 2019. The FS5 is a good alternative to owning the 000-18 and only having to pay half the price of a new 000-18. I always say it is worth twice its price. It weighs 4 pounds 2.85 ounces (1.89kg) Below is the link to my NGD for the FS5.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=547877

The 00-15m is a great guitar too. Like you, I've wanted a 000-15m for the longest time, actually it was for about slightly over a year. I love its feather-weight. It weighs 3 pounds 6.6 ounces (1.55kg). I think because of its light weight, I tend to use it more than my FS5 for singing and playing at home. I also wanted to season the guitar as a mahogany top takes a bit longer to open up than a spruce top. Below is the link to my NGD for the 00-15m.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=566620

Both are great guitars and are keepers for me. You won't go wrong with either one. I've read that it is very difficult to buy the FS5 due to its limited supply due to Covid19. Hope its easier to get one in Australia.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 09-04-2021, 11:14 AM

Hi Yards, Welcome to the AGF!

Mahogany topped guitars sound very different than spruce topped ones so that's a major differentiator between the 000-15m and the Yamahas. I'd opt for the FS5/FG5 Yamaha myself but that's because I prefer spruce topped guitars and those are two models that I've had my eye on for nearly a year now.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:09 PM

I am an old dyed in the wool bluegrasser and up until recently, I was of the opinion that “real” bluegrass guitars all had HD-28 or D-18 stamped or written somewhere on then. Just over a year ago, about when the quarantine got real to me, I decided to learn some flatpicking guitar in the bluegrass style, so I bought an “open box” Yamaha 830. I am completely blown away with this guitar. I am so impressed with it that I have ordered its’ big brother the FG-5. The downside to that is that I’m not likely to see it before December or maybe later. One more change of heart here. I have always been on the Rosewood side of the “best tone wood” argument, but after owning two Recording King all solid Mahogany bodied dreads, I am convinced that Mahogany is my first choice. So, we come to the convergence of Mahogany/Yamaha/dreadnaught and it adds up to FG-5 for me.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:54 AM

In my experience, many individuals [including myself for my first guitar] make a guitar purchase by listening with their ears tuned into the name on the headstock before giving a perceived "lesser guitar" a chance.

My ears prefer the sound of "lesser guitars" in many cases. Higher prices don't deter me from buying a particular guitar. Not sounding worthy of their price tag (to my ears) does.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Welcome to AGF! Good first post. I own the 00-15m and the FS5. I love doing polls too. I predict that the FS5 will get more votes than the 000-15m. We'll see.

I bought my FS5 in May 2019 soon after it came out in the market. I bought my 00-15m (new) in December 2019. The FS5 is a good alternative to owning the 000-18 and only having to pay half the price of a new 000-18. I always say it is worth twice its price. It weighs 4 pounds 2.85 ounces (1.89kg) Below is the link to my NGD for the FS5.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=547877

The 00-15m is a great guitar too. Like you, I've wanted a 000-15m for the longest time, actually it was for about slightly over a year. I love its feather-weight. It weighs 3 pounds 6.6 ounces (1.55kg). I think because of its light weight, I tend to use it more than my FS5 for singing and playing at home. I also wanted to season the guitar as a mahogany top takes a bit longer to open up than a spruce top. Below is the link to my NGD for the 00-15m.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=566620

Both are great guitars and are keepers for me. You won't go wrong with either one. I've read that it is very difficult to buy the FS5 due to its limited supply due to Covid19. Hope its easier to get one in Australia.
Nearly double the votes for the yammie!

Thanks for the great info, feels so hard to pass up a guitar I've wanted but it does seem like the FS5 is a lot of guitar for the money.

I would be mostly using it as an accompaniment to my singing so maybe the Martin would be better for that? The only other guitar I own is a Cole Clark and whilst it sounds great plugged in its unplugged sound leaves a bit to be desired.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
In my experience, many individuals [including myself for my first guitar] make a guitar purchase by listening with their ears tuned into the name on the headstock before giving a perceived "lesser guitar" a chance.

My ears prefer the sound of "lesser guitars" in many cases. Higher prices don't deter me from buying a particular guitar. Not sounding worthy of their price tag (to my ears) does.
I definitely think that can be the case, a large reason I wanted the Martin is because, its a Martin. A few years ago I wouldn't have even considered a yamaha due to my naïve brand snobbery. The red label series sound fantastic.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:27 AM

Smile

Keep us updated on which guitar you chose or post a NGD when the guitar arrives!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 09-05-2021, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

I love a good Martin. Had a few Over the years. Back then and more so now I never considered a new Martin a good value, compared to Yamahas. They make killer guitars but they have always come at a premium, especially now since most dealers no longer sell at 40% of MSRP (there is no longer an MSRP). Yamahas are known for the quality of its budget guitars, as well as it higher end models

But if you want a Martin it’s no value to buy something else, then decide you can’t live without the Martin
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-05-2021, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

A spruce top and hog top guitar sound so very different. They’re both a good value. I think the tone really ought to be the deciding factor here.

Also, not sure if you intentionally excluded the 000-15SM, but that guitar is incredible. Same long scale length with 12 fret body and slightly wider nut and string spacing. Side by side with the (also great) 000-15, my ears and hands always prefer the SM.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
A spruce top and hog top guitar sound so very different. They’re both a good value. I think the tone really ought to be the deciding factor here.

Also, not sure if you intentionally excluded the 000-15SM, but that guitar is incredible. Same long scale length with 12 fret body and slightly wider nut and string spacing. Side by side with the (also great) 000-15, my ears and hands always prefer the SM.
Unfortunately here in AUS there are quite literally no 000-15sm in stock anywhere, which is hugely disappointing from what I've heard online they sound so sweet.

Definitely comes down to spruce vs hog, I think I prefer the Hog sound but the spruce just seems more versatile.

Really having a tough time deciding without being able to play either
Old 09-07-2021, 09:00 PM

I'm obviously a Martin rosewood guy, but I admire some the the great sounding Yamahas - and a few other guitars at great price points. However - and this is really petty - I can't stand that goofy north end of the Yamaha pick guard. Fortunately, It could probably be replaced without too much hassle. (Ive added new pick guards to four of my Martins, too - didn't like the coloring.)

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 09-08-2021, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yards View Post
Unfortunately here in AUS there are quite literally no 000-15sm in stock anywhere, which is hugely disappointing from what I've heard online they sound so sweet.

Definitely comes down to spruce vs hog, I think I prefer the Hog sound but the spruce just seems more versatile.

Really having a tough time deciding without being able to play either
If you buy used, you can resell without a loss (if you’re smart about it). Buy one of each, and decide which to keep. Gotta be plenty of used 15s and yamahas in Australia, no?
Old 09-08-2021, 03:56 PM

I’ve owned a couple Martin 00015s and now have an FS5. My vote goes to the Yamaha for great tone, playability, and superb value.

I especially like it for backing vocals. It is so sweet and rich sounding.

Rb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000-15m, fs5, martin, red label, yamaha