The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 12:12 PM

Default Can I save £400 by buying a bone nut and saddle? Yamaha FSX3 Vs FSX5

Hey all,

I've decided to get one of the Yamaha red label guitars after some really good advice from you all on here (thanks!).

I'm looking at the Yamah FSX3 or FSX5. The main differences between them are that the more expensive FSX5 has a bone nut and saddle, is made in Japan and has a wooden pickgaurd compared to the China made FSX3 which has a plastic nut/saddle/pickgaurd. The woods, dimensions and pickup system are the same.

Obviously the subject of craftsmanship comes into this but as I understand it the instruments from Yamahas China factory are superb. To complicate matters more I've also heard that the parts for both are machined in China, it's only the assembly that differs (although this information was gained from a comment on here so not sure how true that is).

Over in the UK the difference between the two models is £400-£500. Would buying the cheaper model and upgrading the nut/saddle/bridge pins be the clever thing to do? I could even order a custom made pickgaurd for around £40 and make it unique.

I would love to hear the thoughts of people who have played both.

Cheers!

KS
Old 11-12-2020, 12:35 PM

Haven't played them either, just reading and listening. I was also under the understanding that they are assembled in Japan but prepped in China, hence the relatively low price, when compared to the cheapest Japanese made L (L26 series) they are substantially more money than the F5 series, I believe this is because they are made entirely in Japan, necks are shaped there etc and a higher grade of wood is used.

So, my 2 cents based on logic and word of mouth, you're on the right track, I would get the bone nut and saddle. My LL16 is made in their China factory, it's flawless, the finish and construction amazing, have yet to find a fault.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:15 PM

I just ordered an FSX5, and had asked myself the same. But from my research, it seems the 5 series saddle is thicker, and thus the bridge is slotted differently. Not knowing if there are precuts for either that I could *maybe* work with, I figured the cost of materials and a luthier would negate enough of the difference in cost of the 3 vs 5 to be worthwhile.

I had also read and watched videos stating (almost unanimously) that the 5s seems to have a more 3D air to it versus the still excellent sounds emanating from the 3 series.

So we each have to decide for ourselves if that ~$200 bump is worth it..
Old 11-12-2020, 01:20 PM

It is your call, but I am very happy with my Yamaha FSX3. I don't think you will be able to hear one bit of difference between a bone saddle and the urea saddle. This is just my opinion of course. There will others on here who will disagree. But you have to keep in mind that there are people who actually think that bridge pins also affect the sound of the guitar. Maybe a dog might hear the difference but I serious doubt that the human ear can. Just my 2 cents. I think you will be very happy with the FSX3 guitar. And if you want to, you can have a bone saddle and nut put on the guitar. It really shouldn't cost that much. I think the most important thing you should spend your money on after you get the guitar is having someone do a set up on it. It should only run around 50 to 60 bucks. I had mine set up and the saddle was just a little unlevel on it. So no matter which one you get,I would do that.

Last edited by baw3; 11-12-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karunasamatha View Post
To complicate matters more I've also heard that the parts for both are machined in China, it's only the assembly that differs (although this information was gained from a comment on here so not sure how true that is).
As you have noted, no one has ever verified that claim from Yamaha. I have no idea who started that rumour, but it seems to have spread quickly. That being said, it might be true. Who knows? I imagine Yamaha Japan has CNC machines and various shapers to make necks and other parts in Japan too. Why would they need to do it in China? The FS red labels certainly aren’t custom guitars. I am not sure of the manufacturing capacity of Yamaha Japan. However, most countries have laws against saying something is manufactured there when it isn’t. I have no idea about Japanese laws, but I would guess they are fairly strict (as are many countries). A certain percentage would most certainly have to be made there. I’m not sure if anyone on the board is familiar with the law there. It would be good to hear from someone. Saying made in any country is generally a certification of quality and countries want to uphold those standards. Yamaha would be familiar with these laws.

I recently played a FSX3 and I have an FS5 and they are both well made. Sound wise, I would have to give it to the FS5 as having a nicer woodier classic tone. However, I didn’t play the other for too long. The FS5 is my guitar and I am used to the sound. I haven’t played an FSX5. For the small difference, I would likely go with the 5. However, it depends on what you want it for. If you want the guitar to gig, amplify and plug in, it likely doesn’t matter which one, as I believe they both have the same pickup. Once you use a pickup, the quality of the guitar doesn’t matter too much anymore as it doesn’t capture the best acoustic properties like a mic does a better job of (even then it depends on how it is mic’d) If you want the best unplugged sound, the 5 is probably the better bet.

My opinion...
Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 11-12-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Commenting on the FGX5...wrong guitar...sorry?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-12-2020, 03:56 PM

Sure you can save £400, minus the nut, saddle, strings, and labor if you can’t do the upgrades yourself. Although even with the mods they are still separate guitars and their will be differences in sound, feel, and quality. Will the difference be tangible? Only you can answer that.

It’s like the difference between Fender Strats. MIM and American Standards. You can swap all the parts on the MIM to MIA and it’ll be a fine guitar (although the MIMs are pretty good on their own). There are folks that do this to save a few bucks and are quite happy. In the end though, the MIM is still a MIM, not a MIA.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds114 View Post

So we each have to decide for ourselves if that ~$200 bump is worth it..
For $200 it's s no brainer for the FSX5 - with my available options it's a $520 (£400) bump, which makes it s bit harder to decide on.

Thanks for the input so far.

My gut is saying go for the 5. The extra money is something I won't think about in 6 months to come - the guitar I aim to play every day for years!
Old 11-12-2020, 11:59 PM

Smile Definitely the FSX5 or FS5!

Quote:
For $200 it's s no brainer for the FSX5 - with my available options it's a $520 (£400) bump, which makes it s bit harder to decide on.

Thanks for the input so far.

My gut is saying go for the 5. The extra money is something I won't think about in 6 months to come - the guitar I aim to play every day for years!
Go with your gut! My dilemma 1.5 years ago was between the Martin 00-18 and the Yamaha FS5. My NGD story is in the link below if you’re keen to read it. I think it was probably the first NGD for the new Red Label Yamaha in AGF. That’s probably why there’s 16k views so far.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=547877

I believe in getting the best that you can afford. Go for it!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-13-2020, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Edited by member.

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 02-08-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:31 AM

Default Can I save £400 by buying a bone nut and saddle? Yamaha FSX3 Vs FSX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH Acoustic View Post
According to this NGD link, there was also a difference in the case provided between the two instruments, with the 5 coming with a hard shell case, as well as the instrument differences.

Yes. That’s correct! The 3 comes with a well padded gig bag. The 5 comes with a very nice hard shell case.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

Last edited by Cool555; 11-13-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:

That sounds like the correct choice.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-13-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I just checked the guitars out on Sweetwater and Yamaha. The x5 comes with a hsc, if you buy from them. My bet is the x5 is the better made and sounding guitar also.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fg3, fg5, fsx3, fsx5, yamaha