The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2016, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Eastman fans: Please compare E & AC series

First time post here...

I've been eying Eastman's acoustic guitars, but haven't been able to try any first hand. Can anyone give me a rundown of some of the tonal differences between the E series (E8, E10, E20) and the AC series (AC420,AC422 etc)?

It's hard to tell based on video reviews but the ACs sound brighter to my ears. Does anyone have first hand experience?
Old 11-27-2016, 01:42 PM

Hi Kriso77, welcome to the AGF Forum. I`ll start by saying I have owned 3 Eastman flat tops. 2 E8D's and 1 E20D.

When I purchased my last E8D I was lucky there was a store in town carrying the Eastman brand. Since this time the store has changed hands and dropped the Eastman Line.

Now onto the good stuff. The first time I went into the shop I was able to demo 2 AC420's against 1 E8D in a quiet sound proof room. I actually tried a variety of guitars from Gibson, Larrivee, I think Ibanez? and a variety of Eastmans....but I was focused on the AC420 and E8D rosewood/sitka dreads.

Firstly I'll say I love the aesthetics and vintage Martinesque vibe of the Eastman E series....winner all the way visually for me. Score 1 for the E8D.
The top pieces of Sitka were all very different. One AC420 top had really wide grain Sitka while the other had tighter really white Sitka. The E8D had super tight grain Sitka cut nicely but a big ole piece of bearclaw on the lower bout that did not look appealing.
The rosewood back and sides on the AC420's were nice looking but the E8D rosewood back had a "wave" in the figure of the wood..not very appealing to the eye and a surprise as the Eastmans I have seen have all had nice looking wood....winner wood aesthetics visually both AC420's

Now for the sound...keeping in mind string age etc. Both AC420's sounded very good and similar with a preference of 1..I put that guitar aside.
Then I played the E8D and WoW!!! It was bassier, chimier and those things people talk about why you should try and play before you buy. I owned an E8D previously and it didn't sound this good....no way.
I played these guitars back and forth for a while and winner hands down E8D.

I walked out of the store empty handed. I had previously sold a Martin OM-35 custom and convinced myself my GAS was over. I was ready to purchase a Yamaha LL16 mostly due to cost difference(money saving) but that E8D was special. On the day I was gonna purchase the Yamaha LL16 I decided to go play the Eastman's once more. To my surprise all 3 of the same guitars were in the shop.

I had a really tough time getting over the visual quality of the wood on the E8D. But then I audtioned them again...first the AC420's which were good and I would have been proud to own 1...but then I played the E8D....whoomp. Everything I loved about was still in the sound. I knew I was gonna blow my budget and buy it....which I did 10 minutes later after jamming on it.

This was the first time I really got the "Try Before You Buy" model. Usually around these parts you are lucky if a shop has two of the same models.
As for Eastman's...just know that they kind of have there own sound. The dreads and OM's have plenty of bass which is great if you like a Martinesque sound but they have a high end sparkle to go along with it which isn't for everyone. From what I have seen on the net They are also hand made to a large extent which can lead to a little more variance in sound in the final product.

Good luck with your search.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:08 AM

I own an AC420 and an E10SS and E10D. The E series are the top of the line Eastman Flattops, IMHO. My AC420 is a very good guitar (and the only RW guitar I have), but the E series' guitars (albeit mahagonny instead of RW), just seem more resonant, and intricate, if that makes sense. They are all different animals to be sure (which is why I have them) so comparison is challenging, but there is something different about the E series' guitars. And, I think most people would describe that difference in a more positive way. You will only know for sure by comparing them yourself in person.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 11-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for the detailed info that you provided. It was super helpful. I wound up pulling the trigger on a new E20D that I got at a good price for Cyber Monday. It actually arrived today and so far I'm blown away by the tone, fit and finish. Set up wise, it only needs some minor tweaks, which I'll do tonight. I've played $2k-$3k guitars that don't come close. I'm looking forward to bonding with it.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for the detailed info that you provided. It was super helpful. I wound up pulling the trigger on a new E20D that I got at a good price for Cyber Monday. It actually arrived today and so far I'm blown away by the tone, fit and finish. Set up wise, it only needs some minor tweaks, which I'll do tonight. I've played $2k-$3k guitars that don't come close. I'm looking forward to bonding with it.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriso77 View Post
Good call! I've found some (many? but not necessarily here at AGF) who discount Eastman and look down on them because they are Pac-Rim. Fine with me; they're wrong. If you get a chance take a look at the craftsmanship of the bracing inside, and compare it to the usual suspects. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Enjoy!

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 11-30-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earri View Post
The E series are the top of the line Eastman Flattops, IMHO.
Eastman had the fabulous AC-8XX series, but it was discontinued 2-3 year ago. Those were their very top-of-the-line acoustics at the time. Supposedly, they stopped making them because their source for Englemann Spruce dried up.

"The 8 series guitars are Eastman's premier acoustic guitars ... The Engelmann Spruce top is very warm but it still maintains plenty of clarity and pitch definition. Elegant appointments like the Abalone rosette and figured maple binding make this thing look as sweet as it sounds." --- Soundpure Guitars, Durham, NC

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 11-30-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:04 PM

I've owned 6 different Eastman's. I currently own two. My favorite is still the E10D. What a great instrument. Congratulations on your E20D. Enjoy it.

( @ )===:::
Old 12-01-2016, 01:29 AM

basically the "e" series is their take on a vintage "look". an e8d (for all intent and purposes) is an ac420, but with the vintage head stock and appointments.

the e 10/20 series are adi topped, whereas the 6/8 series are sitka. you really can't go wrong with either. i've owned an e6d (loved it), e60m (loved it), currently own an ac420 (love it), and an e10ss (love it).

are you sensing a pattern here?
Old 05-08-2018, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
basically the "e" series is their take on a vintage "look". an e8d (for all intent and purposes) is an ac420, but with the vintage head stock and appointments.

the e 10/20 series are adi topped, whereas the 6/8 series are sitka. you really can't go wrong with either. i've owned an e6d (loved it), e60m (loved it), currently own an ac420 (love it), and an e10ss (love it).

are you sensing a pattern here?

Amen, brother! They're both great instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
comparison, eastman, reviews