The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-21-2015, 11:24 PM

Default Wonderful experience with Red-Eye Preamp inventor and Shoreline Music!

I called Fire-Eye Development on Wednesday around noon (EST) with some questions about their Red-Eye Preamp for my acoustic. The founder and president Daren Appelt picked up the phone and chatted with me about his pedal.

I wanted to use his preamp in conjunction with a Washburn Timber Ridge Custom Acoustic Guitar and an Eastman E10SS Acoustic Guitar both equipped with a Fishman Prefix Premium Blend Pickup System into my pedal board consisting of a TC Helicon Harmony Singer Pedal > Boss OC3 Octave Pedal > Boomerang III Looper > Aphex Acoustic Xciter > Allen & Heath ZED10FX Mixer > QSC K10 Speaker.

He described how the pedal worked, instructed to run the entire pedal board through the FX loop, and mentioned that he would give me a full refund if I didn't like it, and would swap me out a new one if it ever broke. Amazing customer service!

I called shoreline music and the rep that I spoke with was just as cool and accommodating. He processed my order right over the phone, answered a couple more questions that I had, must have shipped the pedal immediately because it arrived as I was leaving for my Friday happy hour gig!

That's just over 48 hours from Colorado to Buffalo, NY! That's faster than I expected!

My review:

I ran my board through the loop as instructed and it made my whole rig sound INCREDIBLE! My friend and her husband came out to see me and they both commented on great it sounded not even knowing that anything had changed. Neither are musicians, and they see me play pretty often.

The low end was tighter and everything sounded more natural. I already get a nice woody sound because I tend to blend in more mic than piezo, but there was something else happening with the Red Eye Preamp that made everything sound noticeably better than usual!

The boost function is awesome too! I was worried that it might boost what's in the loop, but it doesn't, so you can boost solos without making your loop louder. The pedal is so simple to use and is built like a tank.

Something so simple made such a huge difference in my sound. Worth every penny. Fire Eye Development and Shoreline Music rock.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I too have had a chat with Darren. I believe he will customize his products if you need something special. Great to get the owner when you call.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Based on this thread I've been researching this preamp. In the product manual it clearly states that this preamp is designed for passive pickups.

Is it also recommended/effective with active (UST) pickups?

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-22-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Based on this thread I've been researching this preamp. In the product manual it clearly states that this preamp is designed for passive pickups.

Is it also recommended/effective with active (UST) pickups?
You'll have to try it and see what happens. I have heard and heard of it being absolutely wonderful with actives and I have also had musicians I respect greatly feel there was no appreciable difference with their active setup.

I am personally of the professional opinion that a totally clean gain stage is a joy for all occasions. ymmv

*everything* is a tone control
Old 08-22-2015, 10:55 PM

It was noticeably better with my active pickup.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:27 AM

I'm playing my first two outdoor gigs with it today. I'll report back!
Old 08-23-2015, 11:54 AM

I have the Red Eye and the Red Eye Twin- both essential to my tone. I use the twin as a blender with a K&K pm and Sunrise on my 914; and to blend a K&K pm and M80 soundhole pickup on my 814ce cocobolo.

They are excellent and as you said the customer service is outstanding both with Daren as well as John and the Shoreline folks.

Keep us posted on your progress,
davidc
Old 08-23-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I have the Red Eye and the Red Eye Twin- both essential to my tone. I use the twin as a blender with a K&K pm and Sunrise on my 914; and to blend a K&K pm and M80 soundhole pickup on my 814ce cocobolo.

They are excellent and as you said the customer service is outstanding both with Daren as well as John and the Shoreline folks.

Keep us posted on your progress,
davidc
You must be blending with 2 channels at the mixer?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
eye, fire, preamp, shoreline