The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Video editing for Youtube

I've got a couple youtube videos now (see my signature) and plan to do more. The first two were done with an aspiring filmmaker and a local basement studio. I'm doing one or two more with these guys. Then I'll try to do them myself.

I've got audio gear and a few cameras around. How about video editing software? What is an inexpensive, fairly easy way to mix two or three camera angles with audio for youtube? I have a Macbook Pro, and it does have some Apple software. Will that be sufficient?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-29-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
I've got a couple youtube videos now (see my signature) and plan to do more. The first two were done with an aspiring filmmaker and a local basement studio. I'm doing one or two more with these guys. Then I'll try to do them myself.

I've got audio gear and a few cameras around. How about video editing software? What is an inexpensive, fairly easy way to mix two or three camera angles with audio for youtube? I have a Macbook Pro, and it does have some Apple software. Will that be sufficient?

Thanks!!!
You have iMovie. I'd certainly give it a go. What I find most egregious about IMovie is it's handling of audio. But that said and since it's free I consider it a very, very powerful piece of free software.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:47 PM

I've heard Sony Vegas is good, but haven't used it myself I've got Roxio Creator (older version) and Seriph Moviemaker. Both are so-so.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-29-2014, 07:21 PM

Try iMovie. It's astonishingly powerful for something Apple gives away.

If that doesn't do it for you, you're looking at something more in the FinalCut range. Most of the free or cheap stuff I've tried doesn't compare to iMovie, let alone something like FinalCut.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 06-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Final Cut Pro X is an incredible deal. Makes multi-camera really trivial.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 AM

Default beautiful

First off, the tone of your guitar is gorgeous. Second, the song itself is really beautiful and the video, classy. I really enjoyed.

I want to do some videos of songs I have written, I need advice on a video camera which is ideal for YouTube and provides good audio as well as video. Can you help, also, hopefully affordable.

Thank you
Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsclcctl View Post
First off, the tone of your guitar is gorgeous. Second, the song itself is really beautiful and the video, classy. I really enjoyed.

I want to do some videos of songs I have written, I need advice on a video camera which is ideal for YouTube and provides good audio as well as video. Can you help, also, hopefully affordable.

Thank you
Thanks!

I found a video guy and audio engineer on Craigslist. Both of these guys did the first video for free because they are both trying to get a portfolio together. I paid them for the second video, and I plan to pay them for a third.

After that, I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I have some good audio gear and enough experience to get a decent recording here at home. I have almost no video experience, but I'm trying to learn what I can. I can't afford to pay to shoot videos all the time.

I think that going into a pro studio and getting help is almost always the best way to go for people. It's good experience. I've learned this myself the hard way, and it's why I'm asking the question here.

I will likely start with iMovie and try to keep the process as simple as possible. The other mistake I make over and over is getting away from playing/practicing/writing and going overboard on the technology.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 AM

No advice on cameras or Software (imovie and Q3 here) but OP - I enjoyed the videos on your site :-). IME though - lighting is one of the big differences between looks OK and looks great.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:10 AM

As for a good video camera that does both audio and video well, that is a challenge...

Typically, you will need the camera to sit back 3-5 feet away from you to get all of you in the frame. If you are then relying on mics built in to the camera, then that means the mics will be 3-5 feet away as well. If you find a camera with a wide enough lens to get within 3 feet, then you *might* be close enough to get sound you are happy with. But at 5 feet, your room will need to be very quiet because you'll have to turn the gain way up on the mics to get a good strong signal. And in so doing, you will pick up lots of other noises like dogs barking, cars going by, etc.

So I would recommend a camera that allows for audio recording via a line-in jack so that you can use an external mic (or mics).

Or do what many of us do, and just record the audio and video with separate devices, and then sync them in the video editing process.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 07-02-2014, 06:02 AM

I use Vegas. Don't really understand it. But I manage to get stuff done on it.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:14 AM

I do not believe iMovie supports multi-cam.

I direct and shoot videos professionally so I don't really know consumer-level cameras and software.

But if I were to buy gear for this I would look at Digital SLRs like the Canon 7D and Nikon D800, A flash recorder that takes at least two inputs, with a large and small condensor mic and appropriate stands and run double system audio. Meaning visual on one media, audio on the other - synced together with a slate. And I would be editing on Adobe Premiere.

max
www.tcmotion.net
Old 07-02-2014, 07:44 AM

Here's an example of a consumer level camera that was shooting a job I was on. It was the perfromance part of a promo I shot and directed for Ferras' EP entitled Interim. The camera mic captured the audio. Your typical consumer level 1/3" HD camcorder and mounted mic.

Now here's an example of a professional camera and double system audio of the same performance (different songs). We recorded live and ran the audio on a separate system. In this case ProTools synced to 29.97fps

This is about 4 years old so the camera is a RedOne. Not the type of camera anyone is going to be purchasing for day to day youTube videos, but a digital SLR offers some of the same properties.

I share it to open your mind to the possibility of separating audio from the video.

max

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
youtube