The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-03-2019, 09:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Where the heck does stuff go

I cant explain the phenomenon of disappearing stuff in my workshop. Yesterday a bridge pin popped out of a bridge I was working on and literally vanished. I tracked it for a while and had a general idea of its trajectory and where it should land. Of course it wasn't there but it also wasn't any where else. Gone. I really looked.
Same day, I layed a bolt on my work bench, then got involved with an ancillary project. And upon returning to the bench to retrieve the bolt it's gone and no amount of searching finds it.
These are two examples of a general trend in my shop. i Now buy three bolts when I need two counting on one disappearing and so on. Time is money. If I can cut down on fruitless searches for stuff that has escaped to another dimension I'll be ahead.

Anybody else have similar problems? Are there physical laws at work that need formulating and codifying similar to Murphy's laws. Shop laws like when an object falls to the floor it always bounces under an immovable structure and runs to the farthest most inaccessible corner.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
I cant explain the phenomenon of disappearing stuff in my workshop. Yesterday a bridge pin popped out of a bridge I was working on and literally vanished. I tracked it for a while and had a general idea of its trajectory and where it should land. Of course it wasn't there but it also wasn't any where else. Gone. I really looked.
Same day, I layed a bolt on my work bench, then got involved with an ancillary project. And upon returning to the bench to retrieve the bolt it's gone and no amount of searching finds it.
These are two examples of a general trend in my shop. i Now buy three bolts when I need two counting on one disappearing and so on. Time is money. If I can cut down on fruitless searches for stuff that has escaped to another dimension I'll be ahead.

Anybody else have similar problems? Are there physical laws at work that need formulating and codifying similar to Murphy's laws. Shop laws like when an object falls to the floor it always bounces under an immovable structure and runs to the farthest most inaccessible corner.
Rather than mammoth ivory or LiquidMetal, I think we need a Bluetooth enabled bridge pin set, with a "find my phone"-like feature. Also, these "SmartPins" tm could send out real-time readings of how they are modifying the timbre of the guitar while we are playing. An optional setting would even allow those data plots to be shared as new threads on that topic here.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-03-2019, 11:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

I’m right there with you John! It is especially bad when I realize my frustration is self-inflicted. When I was setting up my current shop six years ago I thought I’d put those little confetti flakes in the tan paint I was using on the floor. My thinking was “it won’t show dirt” Or anything else! If it reaches the floor it’s gone forever.
Then there was the pack a natural wood finish pencils I picked up because I thought those would go nicely in my shop. Yeah, they went so nicely they would completely disappear as soon as they came out of the box in my natural woods shop!

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 09-03-2019, 11:06 AM

Borrowers? Pack Rats?

I think things just disappear into the ether until such time that we either replace them or no longer need them. That's when they decide to re-materialise in plain sight with no explanation whatsoever. Happens to me all the time.

Of course my wife would say it's the result of a 'man look' but she doesn't understand there are greater forces at work here .

YouTube
Old 09-03-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Smile Somewhere....

Hey John

Good idea to buy extras of all small stuff! I am thinking Bridge pins should come in sets of 8, so we all have a couple spares...

And WHY do so many guitar picks have to be made out of camouflage color faux tortoise ? Good luck finding them on the deck at a gig.

And why does all labeling on PA gear have to be light grey on dark grey and WAY TOO SMALL TO READ EVEN IF IT WAS GLOWING IN THE DARK? (Glad my gigs are almost all unamped anymore!). And glad I have your guitars for the gigs!!!

All these small items are somewhere with all the socks that disappear in the dryer.

Carry on gentlemen (and ladies) and remain chipper!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 09-03-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:48 AM

Don't worry, they'll turn up as soon as you replace them...
Old 09-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Need I say more? Do do do do; do do do do .......

the-twilight-zone-4fd36d651f9f8.jpg
Old 09-03-2019, 04:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I’m right there with you John! It is especially bad when I realize my frustration is self-inflicted. When I was setting up my current shop six years ago I thought I’d put those little confetti flakes in the tan paint I was using on the floor. My thinking was “it won’t show dirt” Or anything else! If it reaches the floor it’s gone forever.
Then there was the pack a natural wood finish pencils I picked up because I thought those would go nicely in my shop. Yeah, they went so nicely they would completely disappear as soon as they came out of the box in my natural woods shop!

Mark
Yes indeed when you know you brought it all on yourself its worse. I’m just impressed that you thought of buying pencils that would look good in your shop. My pencil buying technique is to buy fluorescent colors that scream “look at me”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
Borrowers? Pack Rats?

I think things just disappear into the ether until such time that we either replace them or no longer need them. That's when they decide to re-materialise in plain sight with no explanation whatsoever. Happens to me all the time.

Of course my wife would say it's the result of a 'man look' but she doesn't understand there are greater forces at work here .
Yes, and frequently they reappear so late in my shop that I’m left wondering why I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Hey John

Good idea to buy extras of all small stuff! I am thinking Bridge pins should come in sets of 8, so we all have a couple spares...

And WHY do so many guitar picks have to be made out of camouflage color faux tortoise ? Good luck finding them on the deck at a gig.

And why does all labeling on PA gear have to be light grey on dark grey and WAY TOO SMALL TO READ EVEN IF IT WAS GLOWING IN THE DARK? (Glad my gigs are almost all unamped anymore!). And glad I have your guitars for the gigs!!!

All these small items are somewhere with all the socks that disappear in the dryer.

Carry on gentlemen (and ladies) and remain chipper!

Paul
Your bolts are one of the ones I lost. I have not a clue where it went. There was a dog lying on the floor at the time. I probably should have her scanned
Old 09-03-2019, 04:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Don't worry, they'll turn up as soon as you replace them...
Now that’s a comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Need I say more? Do do do do; do do do do .......

Attachment 26691
You unlock this door with the key of imagination. (If you can find it )Beyond it is another dimension—a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

I bet ole Rod knows where those bridge pins are.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:54 PM

Perhaps a deed search will show you shop lies over top of an old burial ground...hmmm, shop haunted by the ghost of a former woodworker rebuilding his unearthly shop one piece at a time. Ever hear unexplained noises?
Old 09-03-2019, 06:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Perhaps a deed search will show you shop lies over top of an old burial ground...hmmm, shop haunted by the ghost of a former woodworker rebuilding his unearthly shop one piece at a time. Ever hear unexplained noises?
I have not heard anything but my wife claims that there are a lot of unearthly sounds coming from the shop.

Really I think there are wood working laws that have here to fore been taken for granted or perhaps unexplored.
I just saw the law of wood screws on facebook. Loosely paraphrased, it says that if you need 4 wood screws you will have three, if you need 6, you will find 5.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:03 PM

Do you have a cat or cats?

In my house, it's always one of the cats. I'm convinced she's smuggling them out to her free roaming cat friends, who are storing surreptitiously pilfered stuff in a secret underground bunker for when they decide it's time to take over the world.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:05 PM

I was having a crown put on one of my teeth when the dentist dropped the crown just as he was about to put it on. He and I and the hygienist looked for the cap for a long time. We finally found it stuck to the leg of the chair that was pushed out in the hall when we first started looking.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Wink

[QUOTE=j. Kinnaird;6153664]"I have not heard anything but my wife claims that there are a lot of unearthly sounds coming from the shop."

And that would be about an hour after dinner, right???
Steve
Old 09-03-2019, 09:43 PM

I had that happen with a pin once - in my music room, which is clean and nearly without furniture. 2 years later, it has not made an appearance. The silver lining is that I am getting better and better on a 5 string guitar.

I saw a pie chart once. It read: work - 8 hours, sleep - 8 hours, meals - 3 hours, looking for something I just had - 5 hours.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop