The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-02-2021, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

I am watching the same slow boat. I purchased a stock X20 with the upgraded shipping (full tour package apparently) on a Thursday (2/18). It didn't make the shipping video on 2/19 but sat around for another week.

I received a UPS tracking number on Monday 2/22.

It didn't go anywhere until shipping day Friday 2/26 after the video. It then took a leisurely trip around various cities in Ireland all the time with UPS reporting that it would be delivered in TX on the next Monday 3/1 (what madness is this!). I've had a lot of things ship from the UK or Europe and make pretty good time, but a 3/1 arrival seems rather... aspirational on UPS's part.

Then UPS says 3/2 is the TX delivery date while the X20 is enjoying Dublin. The next day it's languishing in Cologne, Germany (Köln, DE). UPS thinks it will deliver on 3/3 (tomorrow).

A lot of bad data it seems.

Q? If you get tagged for the customs/duties/etc., is it always $79 as I read it here? If so I might get a cashier's check just in case, and void it if it sails through. Curious if everyone that gets tagged, gets tagged for the same amount.

Enjoying the show.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:59 PM

No, you will have to wait for the actual amount (if it happens). It is a crap shoot - most guitars sail through just fine, but once in a while one gets tagged. [fingers crossed for you]

I had no advanced notice until the "failed delivery" email - the only tracking update past Sligo, Ireland - or else there would have been a check waiting. My mail and parcels come to a private mailbox in a UPS store, which made no difference. My ransom was $79.28, but RP reported fees of about $225 a year or two ago on his Emerald. I got my dollars back from UPS, but he did not get his back from US Customs IIRC. To be fair the guitar arrived intact in weight days, but there was no communication about tracking along the way. And the nasty surprise that delayed delivery by a day while I got a check.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

UPS just added (no location) at 3/2 4:16 (today) "Your package was released by the customs agency"

Last edited by redi; 03-03-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi View Post
I am watching the same slow boat. I purchased a stock X20 with the upgraded shipping (full tour package apparently) on a Thursday (2/18). It didn't make the shipping video on 2/19 but sat around for another week.

It didn't go anywhere until shipping day Friday 2/26 after the video. It then took a leisurely trip around various cities in Ireland all the time with UPS reporting that it would be delivered in TX on the next Monday 3/1 (what madness is this!). I've had a lot of things ship from the UK or Europe and make pretty good time, but a 3/1 arrival seems rather... aspirational on UPS's part.

Then UPS says 3/2 is the TX delivery date while the X20 is enjoying Dublin. The next day it's languishing in Cologne, Germany (Köln, DE). UPS thinks it will deliver on 3/3 (tomorrow).

Q? If you get tagged for the customs/duties/etc., is it always $79 as I read it here? If so I might get a cashier's check just in case, and void it if it sails through. Curious if everyone that gets tagged, gets tagged for the same amount.

Enjoying the show.

Thanks.
On the bright side, its CF and the top won't split and the finish won't crack sitting ia a cold trailer for a few days
Old 03-02-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaharadelta View Post
On the bright side, its CF and the top won't split and the finish won't crack sitting ia a cold trailer for a few days
Yes, and when you get the hard shell case from Emerald, it is a Hiscox. It too has a "silver lining"!

It's like magic those guys in Donegal.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:02 PM

I think UPS is the culprit, I wonder if Fedx or DHL are better?
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 03-03-2021, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Last guitar I got from FedEx had a broken neck at the head stock, no, it wasn't a CF guitar, but would still indicate some rough handling to me.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi View Post

Enjoying the show.

Thanks.
For anyone wondering about their Emerald shipping journey, the summary on mine:

Purchased on 2/18 Thu - sat in Donegal for 9 days until UPS tracking started moving. Although it got a tracking number on Monday, it did not move until Friday 2/26.

Toured Ireland until 3/1 Monday, arriving in Koeln, DE.

Departed for the US on 3/2, got "Cleared by Customs" late 3/2.

Arrived in TX on 3/3, out for delivery and delivered.

So once off the isle it moved about as quickly as you could imagine. And arrived in tune.

But no coffee cup.

After noodling on it for an hour or two, I come away very impressed. The strings have to go into the bin, but otherwise, impressed.

Last edited by redi; 03-04-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:08 AM

Godot arrived yesterday, almost in tune
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber