The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-26-2021, 02:52 PM

Default Irish music -- Martin or Not?

I'm part of a Quarantine file-swapping band (I'm the only one who has met all the other players) and they're doing a St. Patty's medley. I'm normally the bass player. The guitar player is great but he doesn't flatpick. So they may want me to do a double of the accordion and/or fiddle and/or tin whistle melody on guitar.

Would you go with obviously-Martin or obviously-not?

While this is for a recording it's not really about recording, so mods feel free to move it.

Couch Standards
Old 02-26-2021, 03:15 PM

Neither. Go with what will complement the other instruments.

I'm not a believer in use __fill in the blank__ for everything.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-26-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Neither. Go with what will complement the other instruments.
That's kinda why I asked -- the Martin will really stick out while the others will be more "blendy." The playing style on this stuff wants to be a bit brash, and the Martin does the brash for you. Or at least my Martin does.

Couch Standards
Old 02-26-2021, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
That's kinda why I asked -- the Martin will really stick out while the others will be more "blendy." The playing style on this stuff wants to be a bit brash, and the Martin does the brash for you. Or at least my Martin does.
Me. I would just go with your Martin, if that's what you use most for playing melody on ?, you can always compress it just a tad to get it to sit.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-26-2021, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

It's interesting the close ties between Irish folk music and bluegrass. The Martin excells in bluegrass and I see no reason why it wouldn't be just fine in Irish music. Personally, I like the tone of my D15s best for Irish, but it's all subjective. I also have an Eastman E2-D that's cedar over mahogany and it sounds great for Irish too. I think if you get the rhythm down correctly, maybe just try a few different picks to get the exact tone you want.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Hmm. Never played a Martin I would call brash, myself! But if you have one, then sounds like the guitar to use.

I assumed you might WANT blendy. If the guitar isn't a lead instrument, but is doubling OTHER lead instruments, I'd be looking for blendy so I wouldn't have problems later on in mixing (i.e. everyone thinks they are playing lead).

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-26-2021, 08:48 PM

Well, you have the fiddle licks in place, so I'd go with Irish Bouzouki, Octave mando, or mandola.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:29 PM

As it turns out there's a fairly high spot in one of the tunes and the Martin is a 12-fret. So it's decided. :-)

Couch Standards
Old 02-27-2021, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like you have it figured out given that its a 12 fret. What tune are you playing that goes up so high? Most of these can sit pretty comfortably in first position.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
What tune are you playing that goes up so high?
It's called "Daleystown Hunt," in G, and it's got some high G's (15th fret) in it.

Couch Standards
Old 02-27-2021, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Congrats for not taking the easy way out & trying to provide chordal accompaniment. The Martin should be fine, unless you have an Irish manufactured or tenor guitar, bouzouki, mandolin.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 02-28-2021, 10:19 PM

I’ve seen my good friend Zan MacLeod play Celtic on The Millenium Stage at the Kennedy Center and he played his Martin. Sounded great to me. There is a great duet on YouTube from The Kennedy Center where Zan and a young fiddle player perform Dowd’s Favorite. Maybe someone would prefer a different guitar there, but the Martin sounds pretty nice there. My guitar teacher and his band Lulu’s Fate played mostly traditional Appalachian music on the same stage and Tom played his Martin as well. I don’t see why you can’t play your Martin if you like the sound you get out of it when you play the tune(s) in question.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 02-28-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
I don’t see why you can’t play your Martin if you like the sound you get out of it when you play the tune(s) in question.
I think I would have preferred the Martin sound, but it's a 12-fret and it turns out that there's a bunch of high G's (15th fret) that I'll never pull off at that tempo.

Couch Standards
Old 03-01-2021, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think I would have preferred the Martin sound, but it's a 12-fret and it turns out that there's a bunch of high G's (15th fret) that I'll never pull off at that tempo.
Speaking of, will you be able to post a sound clip or video of the finished project here ? I would be very interested

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-01-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Speaking of, will you be able to post a sound clip or video of the finished project here ? I would be very interested
Yeah -- the "Quarantine Band" has been posting charmingly slapdash videos for a while now, and this will be one for sure. My son works at Starbucks so I'll be wearing a green apron.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD