The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-22-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Considering a Custom Emerald

I'd like some thoughts on what I'm considering.

First, some background. I've recently entered the CF club with an amazing Emerald X30 (K&K Mini) that has prompted me to consign my custom McCollum Braz/Spruce GA to Dream Guitars.

I have interest in an X10, Level 2. However, on a recent shipping video I saw a custom X30 with the Krivo and Piezo. This has me rethinking the X10 route.

Does anyone have experience with those pickups in the X30? That monster of a guitar with electronics, is quite intriguing.

Your thoughts before I speak to Emerald?
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-22-2021, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Interesting choices. You know you like the X30. The X10 feels significantly smaller than my X20; I kinda enjoy the 1 11/16" nut width for that "electric feel." Just surmising, but I think the Krivo on the top and the individual saddles/piezos do affect the acoustic volume on my X10.

Just me, but I enjoy the variety. Just because we were running out of wall space in my music room, my wife suggested putting the X7 in the motorhome (which we store inland about 40 miles). I did... because I didn't want to have the "you are running out of room" discussion. I missed the X7, though, and brought it back home when we went out to the motorhome to dump water from the fresh tank, water heater, and lines with this recent winter event. All that in mind, I'd go for the X10 level 2... your mileage may vary.

Good luck with the decisions.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

You got your X30 without a pickup? I am not familiar with the pickups you mention, but I thought they offered LR Baggs options. Would you add the pickups to your current guitar, or order another X30?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-22-2021, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Would you add the pickups to your current guitar, or order another X30?
I was wondering the same. I've never played an X10 but imagine that it's quite a different instrument from the X30. Are you ordering primarily for the pickups?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-22-2021, 05:14 PM

I've never had much success over these last few guitar buying years thinking: "well if I liked this, I'm gonna LOVE that!" Invariably, it's never worked out in real life like it did on paper. I think instruments (even carbon fiber) are different enough that you have to play them to make any sorts of conclusions about 1. their tone and 2. if you will actually like the resulting tone. Some people really get lucky this way. So far, I've only been unlucky guessing.

Of course, my buying and selling should be a lesson for anyone else about being happy with what you have because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

Lastly, with response to pickups, the Anthem system will change the tone of your guitar. How much? Depends. Will you like it? Depends. I haven't liked any guitar acoustically as much after I have installed an Anthem system. Some others disagree.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:42 PM

Wow, I must not have been clear, at all.

I have an X30 that was purchased used, that came from the factory a few years ago with a K&K Mini.

I had been looking into a custom X10 Level 2, until I saw an X30 being shipped with the same pickup system.

I love the X30 so much that I could only imagine how that guitar would sound with the Krivo and Piezo, offered most often on the X10.

I was curious of anyone had thought of that guitar (X30) and those pickups vs the X10 option.

Sorry that wasn't clear.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-22-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Wow, I must not have been clear, at all.

I have an X30 that was purchased used, that came from the factory a few years ago with a K&K Mini.

I had been looking into a custom X10 Level 2, until I saw an X30 being shipped with the same pickup system.

I love the X30 so much that I could only imagine how that guitar would sound with the Krivo and Piezo, offered most often on the X10.

I was curious of anyone had thought of that guitar (X30) and those pickups vs the X10 option.

Sorry that wasn't clear.
Indeed, I misunderstood. :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber