The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-09-2020, 05:46 PM

Default the carbon fiber test drive thread

One of the recurring themes here is that, “I cannot go to a store and play XYZ carbon fiber guitar before buying”, and this is generally true regardless of brand. In the case of Emerald and now Rainsong, they only sell direct -- there are zero stocking dealers anywhere. None of us own examples of every brand and model on the market (except perhaps Kramster ) but we as a group of enthusiasts can work together to promote carbon fiber instruments in general.

With this concept in mind, this thread can be a portal exclusively for AGF members to connect, meet in person, and sample the wares. Many members do not include their approximate location as part of their profile so “where are you located” seems to come up in almost every thread. This is NOT – repeat NOT -- an attempt to recreate the old McNichol Road Show where a single guitar was shipped from one person to the next until someone bought that guitar. It is not about commercial trading or selling, but consenting adults can do that privately if they choose. This concept is all about one-on-one voluntary meetings where members can share their guitars and carbon fiber knowledge with the curious. These guitars and their tough clear-coat finishes can withstand hand sanitizer and careful wipe-downs to meet safely. Other safety measures such as location and time of day needed to satisfy both parties.

I propose the following:
• AGF members can reach out to other members via PM
• your general geographic location to be included in the initial contact
• all contact information will be handled privately between the two parties
• both parties must agree on what measures are needed to meet safely within their own comfort levels
• AGF bears no responsibility – the forum is only a conduit of the initial communication
• Forum Rule #1 applies at all times - be nice!

Participation is 100% voluntary - no one is under any obligation to play along and may opt out at any time without prejudice or recrimination. If someone reaches out to you and you don't wish to play, just ignore the PM or politely decline. No one here is a factory rep or a sales agent - we're just hobbyists gathering to share a common interest.

What say you?

Example: I am located in southwest Idaho within an hour's drive from the Oregon border and would be happy to meet and let someone test drive my carbon fiber instruments. My preference is that we meet near my house, but I could travel up to one hour to meet you in the middle, schedule permitting. My preference is that we meet in a public place like a city park, or at a coffeehouse. My carbon fiber fleet includes Rainsong, Blackbird, Composite Acoustics, and several recent Emerald models. It is *non-negotiable* that after the initial contact via PM and the mutual exchange of email and phone numbers, we must speak on the phone. No phone call, no meeting... no exceptions. That will screen out any scammers - they don't make the effort.

Last edited by Earl49; 08-12-2023 at 04:31 PM. Reason: deleted pandemic precautions
Old 12-09-2020, 06:54 PM
Guest 928

Good going Earl. There could also be clusters of advocates, as with the old Carbon Fests sponsored by Michael. If enough players in a given area are willing to meet and share, then a party is to be had.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

The nature of threads on AGF is that they tend to disappear. I wonder if Jeremy or Kerbie could set up this thread as a sticky in the CF subforum so that members could add their individual information but it wouldn't disappear. Having said that I'd offer my carbon fiber guitars for others to audition outside on my front deck....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 04-02-2021 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:28 AM

This thread has been in the back of my mind for a while. I finally sat down and wrote something up. Having it as a "sticky" would be useful for the CF room, especially curious newbies.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:49 AM

I'm quite willing to meet folks and let 'em try out my CF instruments. Visitors should note that I'm a full-time DADGAD player so all of my guitars are in, and are specifically strung for, different flavors of Dsus4 intervals (meaning heavier gauge strings are used for down-tuned pitches so tuning them up to "standard" tension may not suit some players).

I have two Rainsongs, a now-discontinued hybrid H-WS1100N2T (formerly RPs) and a Nashville N-JM1100N2 with it's spruce hybrid top, both of which are using Martin Retro LJ (DADGAD "true" medium) strings. Neither has a pickup yet.

My non-standard "plain-jane" Emeralds (amber, no veneers or pickups) include an X30 fan-fret baritone (25.4" to 27.1" scales) set up for AEADEA tuning with a custom set of EXP phosphor bronze strings and a matching X20 fan fret (24.9" to 26.3" scales) tuned to DADGAD. Before the end of 2021 I expect to take delivery of a matching amber Amicus (which will be tuned CGCFGC or lower).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

Last edited by philjs; 08-24-2021 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Update...
Old 01-03-2021, 02:41 PM

Bump to keep this on the first CF page. And to reiterate, this is an optional offer to the carbon-curious out there who might want to experience a carbon fiber guitar before taking a leap of faith.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

I’m in.

Earl and I are planning a meet-and-play sometime later this year, probably near the Greater Boise area.

I am in eastern Idaho, about 1 to 1.5 hours west of Jackson Hole, WY or 1.5 to 2 hours south of West Yellowstone. If you are planning to visit Yellowstone or Grand Teton National Parks I am not that far out of the way.

Carbon content Journey OF 660 and Emerald X20.

World class trout fishing less than an hour away...

My musical tastes run to acoustic fingerstyle blues, old time banjo and guitar, and misc. roots Americana and older country music.

Let me know if you want to drop on by...
Old 01-04-2021, 02:26 PM

Cool idea!! Keeping it going ...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-04-2021, 06:50 PM

I have a RainSong Black Ice Jumbo, an Emerald X30, and a Martin Grand J12-16GTE that I would be more than willing to let people test out.

Harrisburg, PA area.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

I’ve done this before - it’s a lot of fun, and I’ve met a couple of really nice people.

I’m in a southwest suburb of Minneapolis. I’ve got an Emerald X20, and an X20-7, for those who wish to take a walk on the wild side. If you ask me nicely, I’ll bring out my 1963 Martin 0-16NY as well

Previous encounters have resulted in at least two new Emerald owners, so I figure I might be entitled to a bit of a spiff if I can get it to three.

Happy to entertain any enquiries from this part of the world, although in-person meetings make me a little nervous right now.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-04-2021, 09:41 PM

I’ve got a few to test drive in St. Louis once things settle down too!

I can’t wait to meet some of you in person soon.
1983 Yairi DY85a
Composite Acoustics GX
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Emerald X-20 Opus Red
Emerald X-30 Padauk
Gibson ES-339
PRS SE Hollow Body II Piezo
Fender FSR Telecaster
Godin Exit 22 with Fishman TriplePlay MIDI
Ibanez Mikro Bass
Vintage V74 Icon Fretless Jazz Bass
Spector Timbre Jr. Acoustic Bass
Old 01-05-2021, 09:18 AM

I'm in. I don't post much here but I have a few carbon instruments.

Sable guitar
Mix mando
Klos full carbon uke

I'm in Lake Placid, NY in the Adirondacks and I'm happy to give test drives of these or my other instruments (Kevin Ryan, Martin, and National acoustics, D'Pergo electrics).

Great idea!
Old 01-05-2021, 10:12 AM

I live in the south (SF) Bay Area, and have a Rainsong Shorty and an Emerald X7 (old center-hole model). I figure since neither of mine are identical to any current models there probably isn't much interest, but...
Old 01-05-2021, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I live in the south (SF) Bay Area, and have a Rainsong Shorty and an Emerald X7 (old center-hole model). I figure since neither of mine are identical to any current models there probably isn't much interest, but...
They'd serve very nicely to refute the 'sounds like plastic' nonsense that pervades some folks' minds
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-05-2021, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
They'd serve very nicely to refute the 'sounds like plastic' nonsense that pervades some folks' minds
Well, if you have to fute them more than once (refute), the minds may be too closed to get through.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber