The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-25-2020, 08:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross748 View Post
That is interesting
Old 09-25-2020, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I realise that, in fact I'm often arguing on this forum that the back and sides wood makes very little difference to the sound of a guitar.
This is a blanket statement that needs a bit of clarification. There are a pretty fair number of builders whose builds don’t truly benefit from the qualities that the back and sides CAN contribute. But a master luthier chooses the back and sides for the tonal qualities they WILL contribute to the instrument, and not strictly for color/figure/rarity they may have.

Bog oak is very similar to sinker logs, in that there is a change to the material that is quite visible, lending to a wonderful aesthetic quality, but there is also a chemical/structural change - how that reflects in the tonal quality of a build is a very interesting question. But it needs to be in the hands of a great builder to see what its potential might be, and they won’t necessarily get it right every time, so I wouldn’t judge a materials capabilities by one or two random examples. As I said, I think that at the VERY least, bog oak has the same potential as other good oaks, which can be extremely good - and it can also build some extremely attractive guitars.

I think Mr Kinnaird will be more than capable of demonstrating bog oaks potential in a high quality instrument -
Old 09-26-2020, 07:16 PM

i have a Bog Oak guitar made by Rosie Heydenrich of Turnstone guitars. it is very nice.
2009 SCGC 1929 00-17, Hog/Hog
2006 Andrew White F Model, cedar/maple
2008 Andrew White E Model, Cedar/Zir
2013 Martin Ambertone 000-18GE
2011 Brentrup GC6, Adi/Oak
2012 Huss and Dalton OM, Sitka/Chechen
2013 Martin custom 0028, Adi/MR
2015 ARK New ERA, OM Adi.MR
Turnstone TG, Oak,
Old 09-26-2020, 09:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
This is a blanket statement that needs a bit of clarification. There are a pretty fair number of builders whose builds don’t truly benefit from the qualities that the back and sides CAN contribute. But a master luthier chooses the back and sides for the tonal qualities they WILL contribute to the instrument, and not strictly for color/figure/rarity they may have.

Bog oak is very similar to sinker logs, in that there is a change to the material that is quite visible, lending to a wonderful aesthetic quality, but there is also a chemical/structural change - how that reflects in the tonal quality of a build is a very interesting question. But it needs to be in the hands of a great builder to see what its potential might be, and they won’t necessarily get it right every time, so I wouldn’t judge a materials capabilities by one or two random examples. As I said, I think that at the VERY least, bog oak has the same potential as other good oaks, which can be extremely good - and it can also build some extremely attractive guitars.

I think Mr Kinnaird will be more than capable of demonstrating bog oaks potential in a high quality instrument -
Thanks very kindly for the vote of confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbuff View Post
i have a Bog Oak guitar made by Rosie Heydenrich of Turnstone guitars. it is very nice.
Post some pictures, I’d love to see it.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:51 PM

https://youtu.be/-50hW3THU1k
Old 09-27-2020, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross748 View Post
Michael Watts, never heard of him. Amazing player and the sound of that guitar is incredible. Thanks for the post.
91 Taylor K15C Koa
Old 09-27-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craviola View Post
Michael Watts, never heard of him. Amazing player and the sound of that guitar is incredible. Thanks for the post.
Michael is a great player, a great guy, funny guy. He is quite active on this forum and posts a lot of informative videos. He also played a concert at my home for a guitar event we held and was amazing to see in person. He is one of the best.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:02 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
This maybe a not very novel thread but I thought i would show a set that i recently (like today) got from merry old England. Its Bog Oak and dates from 3500 BC. This wood fell into the fens and bogs and was preserved by the acidic conditions and has recently been resurrected and cut into quartered sawn sets and lumber.
It taps out like most oak, that is to say about like hard maple. I think this is going to make an interesting guitar. I might pare it with a tunnel redwood top. Thanks to Han for turning me on to this wood.

I'm sure it sounds great. But it looks fantastic, and it's got some history. That's a triple threat in my book!

Plenty of wood gets hype these days: The Tree, Tunnel 13, etc. Some of it is real and some is marketing. Who says it can't be both?
Old 09-28-2020, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post

I'm not suggesting that a great guitar cannot be made using bog oak, I'm just saying that we can't assume that it will be. Many people will pay a huge upcharge for exotic timber, with little or no evidence of how much it is influencing the sound of the instrument.
Good builders have made guitars out of whisky barrels and storage pallets just to demonstrate this fact. A highly respected guitar player and member of this forum has been known to say that your choice of pick has a greater impact on tone than your choice of back and side woods.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I'm not suggesting that a great guitar cannot be made using bog oak, I'm just saying that we can't assume that it will be. Many people will pay a huge upcharge for exotic timber, with little or no evidence of how much it is influencing the sound of the instrument.
Good builders have made guitars out of whisky barrels and storage pallets just to demonstrate this fact. A highly respected guitar player and member of this forum has been known to say that your choice of pick has a greater impact on tone than your choice of back and side woods.
Well said! Which is why I question so many people buying guitars BASED on wood choice, or asking for wood advice when spec'ing a custom build, and assuming wood choice is going to give them a great guitar - while in reality, the woods aren't going to make a whole lot of difference compared to choice of builder -

Braz RW is ridiculously expensive - and yet so many custom builds spec it almost automatically, and it is such an important headline when you look at the classifieds. But as you say - a guitar built with braz RW is NOT a guarantee of a great guitar. I know great guitars can be built with bog oak - but it's not a guarantee of anything. The same is true of The Tree, Tunnel 13, etc, etc, etc. Much like taking an incredible sounding guitar out of the hands of a great player, and putting it into the hands of someone, say, like me. I guarantee, it is NOT going to sound as good - ;-)
Old 09-28-2020, 12:22 PM

I happen to love regular old White Oak for steel string guitars so I can only imagine Bog Oak is even better. I bought a few billets from a guy who sells from Bosnia. It really is beautiful stuff and the back story is wonderful. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:59 PM

Bog oak has an amazing history that just blows my mind when you think about how old it is and what was happening on the earth when they started to grow!

John, how large is this piece, ie. what size guitar could you get out of it?
Old 09-28-2020, 03:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Bog oak has an amazing history that just blows my mind when you think about how old it is and what was happening on the earth when they started to grow!

John, how large is this piece, ie. what size guitar could you get out of it?
The black piece is Om sized
The brown piece is big enough for a dread
Old 09-28-2020, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Knowing John's work as I do (I have two of his guitars), I have total confidence in his ability to make a stellar guitar with the bog oak. I think he could make a good guitar with knotty old black locust or birch. With quartersawn bog oak? No doubt!
Old 09-28-2020, 07:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Knowing John's work as I do (I have two of his guitars), I have total confidence in his ability to make a stellar guitar with the bog oak. I think he could make a good guitar with knotty old black locust or birch. With quartersawn bog oak? No doubt!
Well thanks Jamie
Most kind of you to say so

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop