The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-28-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
Yes, I suppose there's always that nagging "what if" in my mind that likes to explore new or not frequented paths...also I was thinking of doing this as "my build" here in the custom section,and well I need to factor that in also...."like oh, here's the new guy, starts off with all maple guitar, pff whackjob"....I don't want all the cool kids to think I'm idiot because I wore the purple jogging suit to the first day of school If I'm going to be considered an idiot, I'd feel better about earning that title, that's the thing with people these day's, they're just afraid of all the hard work that it takes

I love the look of this fender, or at least the wood, I spent quite a bit of time on the utube and seen and heard some pretty cool maple tops...so, I think I'm going to go for it, my spruce guy is in Spain now anyway and wont be back for awhile, I do have some nice red cedar,but I think I'm going Maple.
There's no wrong or right. Stuff that was considered wacky 40 years ago are now commonplace, even ubiquitous. What makes something good, or great, is all relative.

Then again, there's no contest here to be the first! And obviously you wouldn't be the first to think of it. My honest opinion, is I'm a bit more purposeful in my thoughts and what I do, and I'm resisting more and more the temptation to do something just "because I can." To put it another way, I know that I can make a guitar with all maple and an all maple top. And it may sound good, even great. But I know, as of right now, that it probably would sound more in the direction I want it to go, and that I would like, if I used cedar, for example.

That said, I may do it myself one day, since I actually have an orphaned back set (no sides) that would be great for a project like this. My thinking, however, maybe counterintuitive, is that maple tops may work better in a smaller guitar than a larger one... and not just because that's the size wood I got!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Don't worry about different then, the lot here just don't want a new builder to do something where they would get discouraged in their efforts. I've looking up violin building while back and boy, there is a bunch that discourages going against tradition. Looking forward to seeing your guitar being built.
Hi printer, well I don't really consider myself a "new builder" as much as an "unknown builder to my peers and the general population", which includes dealers, hobby players, semipro players, collectors, people like that. I have been very lucky, fortunate, blessed, however one might put it to tap into the market that I would like to be targeting which are established well known musicians and producers. Any sales that I have, have been purely word of mouth. And as of now, everything has been "in house"

Based on my limited product output and some other factors I very much "qualify" who I will make an instrument for. I prefer to work with professional musicians in order to create a tool that helps then do their job.

Based on having some pretty fantastic connections, I sometimes do what I call "Gonzo marketing" which is simply tapping established connections in order to "gift" a well known artist an instrument. Making actual contact with artist's who have "layers" of protection can be quite impossible, and without some form of introduction from a friend or colleague, even if you could contact them, they most likely wouldn't take something from you, even if it was free, as we know artist's get paid lots of money in endorsement deals from instrument companies, I have been fortunate in that any endorsements I have got have been because the artist wanted to endorse me/tell their friends, not because I paid them or gave them free stuff.

so I appreciate anyone's concern for me or anyone's, about getting discouraged, because I know that trying to make a living or extra money by being an "Artist" is truly one of the hardest paths to choose in life that takes the most courage out of any endeavor there is...Don't get me wrong, I'm not swimming in money from making guitars, but I don't consider money my motivating factor, and therefore if trying to sell something instills discouragement in someone because it does not sell, I would always direct one to go back to the place that they were in when they first decided to try to be an artist or instrument builder, and when they got there, I think they would find that it was the love of the artistic challenge and the love for music that is what drove them to try, and that one should always keep that place in their heart and never let anyone or anything discourage them from exploring their artistic endeavors, independent from if anyone buys it or not.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
There's no wrong or right. Stuff that was considered wacky 40 years ago are now commonplace, even ubiquitous. What makes something good, or great, is all relative.

Then again, there's no contest here to be the first! And obviously you wouldn't be the first to think of it. My honest opinion, is I'm a bit more purposeful in my thoughts and what I do, and I'm resisting more and more the temptation to do something just "because I can." To put it another way, I know that I can make a guitar with all maple and an all maple top. And it may sound good, even great. But I know, as of right now, that it probably would sound more in the direction I want it to go, and that I would like, if I used cedar, for example.

That said, I may do it myself one day, since I actually have an orphaned back set (no sides) that would be great for a project like this. My thinking, however, maybe counterintuitive, is that maple tops may work better in a smaller guitar than a larger one... and not just because that's the size wood I got!
right, I mean just look at the bevel craze....which by the way I think look totally killer, but from a players point of view, mine, I absolutely can not stand bevel edge guitars, I do not consider my arm sliding off the side while I'm 3 min into a perfect recording "comfortable"....but thats just my opinion....really it's why I love guitars and the world of guitar so much....I mean I'm a pretty intellectual guy all in all, which is why the violin is so appealing, yet it's too traditional for my liking and discourages extreme ideas and encourages ones individuality within extremely confined lines...I do love the "anything goes" with guitars...
Old 04-28-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
right, I mean just look at the bevel craze....which by the way I think look totally killer, but from a players point of view, mine, I absolutely can not stand bevel edge guitars, I do not consider my arm sliding off the side while I'm 3 min into a perfect recording "comfortable"....but thats just my opinion....really it's why I love guitars and the world of guitar so much....I mean I'm a pretty intellectual guy all in all, which is why the violin is so appealing, yet it's too traditional for my liking and discourages extreme ideas and encourages ones individuality within extremely confined lines...I do love the "anything goes" with guitars...
Well, I can see how someone who may have a health or size issue may benefit from an arm bevel, who may otherwise not be able to play a larger bodied guitar. Thus to me it is purposeful. Rib bevel? OK maybe. Upper bout bevel? Lap bevel? I think Glenn's continuous-bevel design from my view is both purposeful and aesthetically pleasing, while I feel being more part of a cohesive design rather than whiz-bang-look-at-me-here-and-there... Same for the "Manzer" wedge. Not the easiest thing to accomplish, yet not really seen by the casual observer, but it serves its purpose well.

That said, I'm excited to see what you will create; you definitely have the skills and the "eccentric" eye to pull it off, and I commend you for your effort!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Well, I can see how someone who may have a health or size issue may benefit from an arm bevel, who may otherwise not be able to play a larger bodied guitar. Thus to me it is purposeful. Rib bevel? OK maybe. Upper bout bevel? Lap bevel? I think Glenn's continuous-bevel design from my view is both purposeful and aesthetically pleasing, while I feel being more part of a cohesive design rather than whiz-bang-look-at-me-here-and-there... Same for the "Manzer" wedge. Not the easiest thing to accomplish, yet not really seen by the casual observer, but it serves its purpose well.

That said, I'm excited to see what you will create; you definitely have the skills and the "eccentric" eye to pull it off, and I commend you for your effort!
Oh, I'm not bashing bevels or anything like that, the arm bevels just not for me personally from a playing perspective...

That being said, thanks Louie, I look forward to it and trying to become part of the community here.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:31 AM

Didn't mean to imply that you are a new builder only that the fine fella's we have here encourage doing normal before heading off in the wild blue yonder.

Have to make an arm beveled guitar for myself. I have a health issue that does get inflamed by the edge of a guitar. Maybe after I finish the next bunch.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Didn't mean to imply that you are a new builder only that the fine fella's we have here encourage doing normal before heading off in the wild blue yonder.

Have to make an arm beveled guitar for myself. I have a health issue that does get inflamed by the edge of a guitar. Maybe after I finish the next bunch.
Hi Printer, I didn't take any offence to you calling me new, nothing wrong with being new, and I am new here, so....the wild blue yonder is kinda normal for me, feet on the ground, head in the clouds...
Old 04-29-2016, 01:40 PM

might record well.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
might record well.
It would be my hope. You make super nice stuff, really cool.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop