The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 AM

Default Acoustic Adjustable Intonation

Here is a picture of my patent pending acoustic adjustable saddle option on my guitars. I am trying to make this available as a bridge blank where builders can put their own shape on it. For the traditional buyers/players I use the compensated slot saddle.

And the article http://www.fretboardjournal.com/blog...al-guitar-show

Basic explanation: it can be pinless or pin - for full disclosure I haven't made a pinless version yet. The strings come out of the pin or pinless area and they 'break up' to the rear of the saddle. This is the primary break angle (so this is not lost on the design). Then the saddle ramps up to the secondary angle, this is the intonation take off point. So there are TWO points that the saddle is contacted and held down by the string. The saddles are machined out of bone (non-cnc - with jigs and fixture - pin router).

The saddle is in a machined slot that only allows it to move east/west. The action of the allen fastener is absolutely minimal because of the strings interaction with the primary and secondary break angles. The STRING holds the saddle down, the allen fastener crimps the saddle not allowing it to creep or slide forward - finger tight.

I will have at least two maybe three guitars at Healdsburg that I will have this bridge. They sound great.

another picture - (maybe)

Hope you like it.

Kevin L Pederson

Last edited by rlouie; 02-06-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 AM

Default Acoustic Adjustable Intonation

Very interesting design. I've been trying to figure out a way to accomplish this without killing tone. It seems like you may have it! Where are the adjustment screws? Do you have a picture of that area?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 AM

The saddle is pretty cool, but that guitar!! I love the finish! How did you do that to the sound board? It looks aged.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM

Kevin it's very nice to see you here! Welcome and I'm definitely looking forward to those build threads! And looks like you figured out how to post the pictures. Good luck and start sharing how these wonderful pieces of art come to life! I'm sure everyone here will have a blast following your builds.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Me

Kevin,
That is a stunning guitar. Wow!

I must say I am not a fan of the adjustable bridge design for an acoustic. How would you answer the question that you are solving a problem that does not exist?
How is your patent different from 5208410 pictured below?
(I am not asking to slam your design/patent idea, but to give you a place to answer obvious questions.)

Last edited by SteveS; 02-06-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM

Thanks Maks - I look forward to posting some awesome build threads. I'll have two guitars and accompanying threads for sure heading into Healdsburg, the third in if time allows me to complete it.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Hi Steve - thanks for the compliments on the guitar. It turned out really nice; sounds great too.

that part in your added picture looks like a drop in thing. I saw this in patent searches and I've never seen this in practice.

I thought about this day and night for about three years. And I broke down the issues one by one and just keep designing and overcoming them by trial and error. I considered many designs and concluded this was the only legitimate way (for me) to leverage the break angle, increase the saddle contact with the bridge itself and have the ability to make any adjustments as needed.

No, my idea is different all together. In my design the saddles are indivisible from the bridge base - they become one with the bridge base. As mentioned in the small description above, the string contacts the saddle on two points - the primary break angle (rear of saddle) and the secondary take off point at the front of the saddle.

I'll have working examples at Healdsburg and I invite players, anybody who is interested (skeptics etc), to play them for themselves. Open invite.

As for the traditionalists players - this is an option, and since I custom build - I will still do the slot saddle for any players that request such.

Kevin.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM

Love the finish -- looks like a daguerreotype!

That saddle looks like a big improvement over the old attempts.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 PM

What a beautiful instrument. Neat bridge design, if it sounds half as good as it looks I'd say you have a winner.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM

Default back of the guitar

Thanks Mike81 - here is another look at the back side of the guitar.

Koa binding and accents.

Sounds really nice. Tomorrow I'll upload the pics in a separate thread since this one is about the bridge.

Kevin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
adjustable intonation