The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Hi Greg,
I agree about other mahoganies making great guitars as well. I didn't intend for this thread to be "one is better than the other", but was hoping to bring forward an awareness of Cuban Mahogany, and hear of its aesthetic and tonal characteristics as compared to other tonewoods from those who build and play the instruments.

I'm anxious to see your completed Cuban/Lutz guitar, and hear of its tonal characteristics.
Hi Chuck, yeah, good thread, you certainly don't see a lot of Cuban Mahogany build threads so it is cool to hear thoughts on the wood and finished instruments......and see pics

I too am interested in stringing this one up.

Greg
Old 06-12-2010, 09:52 AM

I love this Cuban 00 Northwood
If I was to have just one,

Old 06-17-2010, 08:47 AM

Here are some shots of a Cuban Mahogany/Red Cedar L-00 that John Kinnaird made for me about 8 years ago. Sadly, it was sold to pay for a new tile floor in my bathroom. It was and probably is one of the sweetest and best balanced guitars I have ever owned or played.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:47 AM

I am still looking for this guitar. It was sold by Brian Wolfe in Acoustic Music Guilford Connecticut in 2003.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:46 PM

I have used Cuban mahogany, in one way or another, on nearly every guitar I've built. My father-in-law brought back a stash from Puerto Rico when he was stationed there over fifty years ago. All I have left is one rift sawn board over twenty inches wide.
I'm going to miss it terribly when it's gone.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have not yet built with Cuban Mahogany, but that is about to change. Eric Schoenberg has commissioned a "Schoenberg Standard" in Cuban Mahogany to be completed for the Santa Barbara event next September. That means a 000 cutaway with Pyramid bridge. The top has not been spec'd yet, but experience suggests either Adi or Euro. I expect to do the work in July.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:50 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Somewhat off topic but at the same time relevant, living in Key West I've seen some major changes with the recent changes vis a vis Cuba, particularly travel. My in laws are going in June, which is exciting. One still has to fulfill some requirements (mission trip, cultural exchange, etc) but it's MUCH easier now.

I won't get into the politics for obvious reasons, and I certainly won't get into a discussion of responsible sustainable forestry on a nation sized basis, but it makes me wonder:

With trade to inevitably open up more in the future, will we be seeing more of this wood from Cuba itself?
Old 05-09-2016, 01:50 AM

My next build with Simon Fay is in Cuban mahogany. I will start a new thread when it is underway.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Funny how this 6 year old thread has resurfaced, but I'm glad it did. I still have the Cuban Mahogany "somewhat deep body OM sized" guitar that was delivered to me in 2010. I appreciate hearing of other experiences with this tonewood. The set that was used on my guitar came from St. Thomas from a tree downed by hurricane Hugo in '89. The luthier said his "typical" Cuban Mahogany sets were about 20% more dense than his "typical" Honduran Mahogany, but my set was extremely dense, about 20% more dense than his "typical" Cuban Mahogany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have not yet built with Cuban Mahogany, but that is about to change. Eric Schoenberg has commissioned a "Schoenberg Standard" in Cuban Mahogany to be completed for the Santa Barbara event next September. That means a 000 cutaway with Pyramid bridge. The top has not been spec'd yet, but experience suggests either Adi or Euro. I expect to do the work in July.
Bruce, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you've completed this upcoming build.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

I hadn't noticed the age of the thread! Having learned only days ago that I would be building with the stuff, it seemed contemporary.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I received my Mark Hatcher Greta in Cuban Mahogany / Engelmann last year (build thread), and have enjoyed the tonal flavor thoroughly.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Over the last couple years I've been able to play a few Cuban Mahogany guitars, and recently took delivery on a commission. While researching, then waiting for the build, I noticed quite a few luthiers were building with it. I thought a thread about guitars built with Cuban Mahogany might be of interest.

So, how about if the builders and owners share their experience with this wood? Maybe some photos, reviews, or a link to your build.

To me, the wood seems to be at one end of the extreme for mahogany, very dense and leaning towards the rosewoods. It seems very articulate, with well defined and developed bass, with more resonance than a 'typical' mahogany. Yet, it has the clarity and high end I hear with mahogany.

Here's the Poling Sierra, built with Cuban Mahogany and Lutz Spruce, that I recently received. Instead of repeating myself, here's a link to a thread about it.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=184052

I sold this wood to Brock Poling. It came from St. Croix. It was hurricane blow down that they were bringing it to the dump and burning it. The guy I got it from rescued some of it ,bought a sawmill and brought it back to the states where it sat for 20 years in a container when I bought it. I cut about 100 sets and sold it except for about 4 sets which I still have. I also had some neck stock as well.

As was said it is very dense- similar to Indian rosewood.

Here is a guitar I made from it, that I sold and recently learned was stolen from its owner.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a set I am using for one of my future builds:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Brad Goodman; 05-09-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:32 PM

Here is a Cuban Mahogany 00 that I built many moons ago. Loved that guitar, and those Holly bindings were cool!!

Old 05-11-2016, 03:58 PM

I played Matt's Kinnaird back in 2003 and nearly bought it, definitely one of the sweetest guitars ever, it just had the most seductive tone. I wish I had bought it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop