The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-28-2021, 04:15 PM

Default Logic Pro 9 (for mac)

My iMac is old/maxed out at El Capitan OS and won't take the current version of Logic Pro - which is X.

Do any of you know a way to get version 9? Not having any luck and probably can't trust any of the third-party download sites I've seen.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2021, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

No don't know a way to do that

Couple questions

Have you used Logic in the past but no longer have it ?

If not then what about just using Garage Band (didn't it come with El Capitan ?)

Or you if you want more function than GB what about Reaper ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-28-2021, 07:03 PM

Hey Kev,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am using GarageBand which is actually enough for my needs, but mine has a glitch whereby it occasionally won't recognize an input source. And on the flip side, sometimes won't play the sound of a project. When this happens, I'm forced to quit, shut down and restart until it begins to work properly again. Quite frustrating.

And my version of OS doesn't allow for an upgrade to the current GarageBand either!

Hadn't heard of Reaper, but will take a look.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Computer Planned Obsolescence Sucks!

Aloha Upside down!

Yeah, doesn't it just really suck when corporations pull the plug on still-working versions of the important software & tools we need to create?

The worst for me was the Apogee Duet 1 which Apogee no longer supports with software. A still-useable, game-changing product gets force-upgraded - & we pay! I've always thought it to be an unethical corporate practice. Same with computers & when they shut down - as if on schedule.

So we all feel your pain.

Suggestions: Buy the cheaper, stripped-down Mac Mini ($659) & includes GB) & then move up to pro-level, Apple's Logic Pro 11 ($199 & available loadedob the Mini via Apple).

You'll be set for the next 5 years+, plus you'll move up to one of the two fully-professional studio level Logic Pro.

It will expand your musical & recording choices/horizons & completely upgrade your quality. And, it could help give your recordings pro level potential - will All the bells & whistles. Use it only for music projects & also use 1T+ external Apple version hard drives to store your projects & avoid taking up HD space.

Reaper is a toy DAW compared to what you get with Logic Pro for only $199. Stay in the higher quality, more compatible Apple family, Upside.

That's what I would do anyway. In fact, I'd probably upgrade to an iMac w/ Logic Pro.

Unfortunately, with computers, we always gotta have an eye on the expiration dates.

Good Luck, Upside Down!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 02-28-2021 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:01 AM

Older "dot releases" of Logic Pro X should work fine with El Capitan version of OSX. Have you tried contacting Apple about if you can get a link to this most recent version of Logic Pro X that still works with El Capitan if you purchase Logic Pro X?

In the past (and I'm not sure this is true now) when I had purchased Logic Pro X under my Apple ID for a computer with a newer version of MacOS, when I went to the App Store to download Logic Pro X on a Mac with an older version of MacOS/OSX it would download the version that would work with the older operating system. I believe Logic Pro X 10.3.3 is the newest for El Capitan.

I only ran Logic Pro 9 for a very short period of time, but I'd think it would be better to run Logic Pro X 10.3.3 today.

Reaper is very full-featured and well-liked by those that use it (I haven't other than trial versions). The main thing I'd miss vs. Logic Pro is the large number of high quality Virtual Instruments and effect plugins that come with Logic Pro X -- and of course I've got my familiarity with Logic Pro as to how to do this or that. If you're just recording acoustic instruments with minimal processing or effects, Reaper is worth considering and the trial versions would let you try it out for your needs.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 03-01-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the ideas Chris. However, I made the decision to stick with my older machine, which is great for most of the stuff I task to it and even faster now that I replaced the HD with an SSD. My wife and son both have macbooks, I'd rather my "discressionary" money went into the guitar kitty.

The use-by date -- aka built-in obsolescence -- with Apple OS's and apps is frustrating and a topic that has no doubt been properly ranted. So I won't get started.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Older "dot releases" of Logic Pro X should work fine with El Capitan version of OSX. Have you tried contacting Apple about if you can get a link to this most recent version of Logic Pro X that still works with El Capitan if you purchase Logic Pro X?

In the past (and I'm not sure this is true now) when I had purchased Logic Pro X under my Apple ID for a computer with a newer version of MacOS, when I went to the App Store to download Logic Pro X on a Mac with an older version of MacOS/OSX it would download the version that would work with the older operating system. I believe Logic Pro X 10.3.3 is the newest for El Capitan.

I only ran Logic Pro 9 for a very short period of time, but I'd think it would be better to run Logic Pro X 10.3.3 today.

Reaper is very full-featured and well-liked by those that use it (I haven't other than trial versions). The main thing I'd miss vs. Logic Pro is the large number of high quality Virtual Instruments and effect plugins that come with Logic Pro X -- and of course I've got my familiarity with Logic Pro as to how to do this or that. If you're just recording acoustic instruments with minimal processing or effects, Reaper is worth considering and the trail versions would let you try it out for your needs.
Frank,

Thank you. Your post came in as I was responding to the one previous.

According to Apple, the minimum system requirements for the current version of Logic Pro X includes "macOS 10.15.7 or later." And I'm stalled at 10.11.6.

As previously mentioned, I'm perfectly content with GarageBand for my projects, so perhaps should focus more on trying for an updated version that (could?) iron out the glitch that I'm experiencing.

Failing that, I might consider deleting and reinstalling the app, but that would leave me in the position of trying to find an older version of it.

Thanks for the suggestion about contacting Apple for versions compatible with my OS. I'll give that a shot (for Logic and GarageBand).

I'll also look into Reaper while I'm at it...

EDIT: FYI. Went to my previous APP Store purchases and clicked on a button that said INSTALL next to a version of GarageBand from 2013. What followed was an automatic (and unsuccessful) attempt to install GB 11; an error message informed me "GarageBand was not able to complete the download."
So that answers the question if Apple will automatically provide the most recent compatible version of an app.

Last edited by upsidedown; 03-01-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post

I'll also look into Reaper while I'm at it...
While Chris and agree almost everything audio I would not characterize Reaper as a "Toy" it is actually a full featured very usable DAW.
I will agree that for those of used to working in Logic (like Chris) or Pro Tools (like me) the GUI and workflow seems a bit cumbersome and the nomenclature more foreign. And the user has to set up more workflow operations (that are automatic in other DAWS)
But because so much is user defined, it is arguably the most CPU efficient full featured DAW on the market and is probably a better choice for older less speedy machines .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 03-01-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I would not characterize Reaper as a "Toy" it is actually a full featured very usable DAW.
Coming from a "background" in GarageBand, and having downloaded a free version of Reaper, I already know what you mean. Let's see if I can handle the learning curve...
Old 03-01-2021, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Coming from a "background" in GarageBand, and having downloaded a free version of Reaper, I already know what you mean. Let's see if I can handle the learning curve...
I recommend watching Kenny Gioia videos either directly on Reaper web sight under Videos https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#2dYZJmczK7o

Or his Youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2...98HlB5mVFHGSsQ

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD