The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-11-2021, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default What lubricant for mic stand boom knobs etc.

The tightening knobs on the boom for my mic stand have gotten overly tight to turn. What's a good lubricant to use for this application? Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-11-2021, 07:46 AM

WD-40 might get them moving again, followed by any good bicycle gear lube or any good oil you can get your hands on a small amount of.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Royboy.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-11-2021, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

If you search amazon, you can find bicycle chain lubricant that evaporates quickly and leaves a light (dry) residue of teflon lubricant. Ive had good luck with it on tuners or anywhere yoy dont want to accumulate grime or grease
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6A99AB79-42E9-41CE-ABE2-32034F466BC7.jpg (39.5 KB, 128 views)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-11-2021, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Dave. There is a small what looks like rubber washer on one of the knobs. I don't want to compromise the rubber. I wonder how the bicycle chain lubricant would interact with the rubber
Old 02-11-2021, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Graphite might be best.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:19 AM

From experience with lower end mic stands, sometimes when the knobs become hard to turn it is due to the threads on the nut and or bolt have stripped. Hardware stores sell replacement parts but they are hard to find exact matches.

One thing that will keep your boom arm in good shape is to loosen the handle before moving the boom arm. Those rubber washers get worn out and you have to over tighten which causes the situation you are experiencing. I cringe whenever I see people move that boom arm without loosening it first. I have been known to yell at people who do that to my mic stands.

You could try scuffing up the washers and flipping them over.

Or, buy a top quality mic stand (like a DR Pro) that will last forever (as long as you don't force it into place without loosening it).
Old 02-12-2021, 11:13 AM

I use petroleum jelly on the threads.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:53 PM

I use SuperLube on open tuner gears and also on door hinge pins. It should do well for mic stand threads as well.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 02-13-2021, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Thanks TBman, Yamahaguy and Patrick.

I just made a big discovery. I was able to loosen the knobs by just loosening and tightening them a bunch of times. THE PROBLEM IS ACTUALLy with the telescoping arm. Photo attached. Even with the knobs loosened, the thin telescoping arm is very hard to move in and out. Any suggestions what to use on the arm itself? I can move the whole boom forward, but I need the extra reach that the thin arm provides me (strange set up, smallroom). Photo attached. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 7.46.51 AM.png

Last edited by KarenB; 02-13-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:46 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Thanks TBman, Yamahaguy and Patrick.

I just made a big discovery. I was able to loosen the knobs by just loosening and tightening them a bunch of times. THE PROBLEM IS ACTUALLy with the telescoping arm. Photo attached. Even with the knobs loosened, the thin telescoping arm is very hard to move in and out. Any suggestions what to use on the arm itself? I can move the whole boom forward, but I need the extra reach that the thin arm provides me (strange set up, smallroom). Photo attached. Thanks.
Attachment 51686
When this happens it can be as a result of a fall. The clutch assembly or the inner clutch ring can end up out of round as a result of an impact. When this happens there are three courses:

1. The clutch will sometimes have a soft, springy ring inside that the boom arm slides in and out on. The tension screw contacts the soft ring and slightly deforms it to put tension on the boom arm. If it is overtightened, the ring can become permanently deformed and always put tension on the arm. We'll contact the manufacturer and ask if we can buy a new ring or ring set (sometimes there is a metal outer ring and a nylon inner ring). Atlas and K&M are really good about selling parts. See below for clutch disassembly.

2. If the clutch assembly itself is out of round is either threaded onto the end of the boom or attach to the end with a set screw, we can contact the manufacturer and ask if we can purchase a new clutch assembly and replace it. You may have to use a padded vise and padded pliers to spin it off if it is threaded.

3. Failing that option we will buy a new boom and keep the old one for parts.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-13-2021, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Bob. I have ascertained that this is an Atlas boom and stand, and I've found the model of the boom on their website. I will contact them, if they're open on Monday, and if not, on Tuesday.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:18 AM

Great SDOTD on DR Pro mic stands 2 pk
Old 02-20-2021, 02:06 AM

When I need a lubricant that doesn't leave an oily residue which attracts dirt I use GT 85, smells odd but as it evapourates it leaves a ptfe (Teflon?) residue but much lighter than bike chain lube , the active lubricant is held in a penetrant which evapourates .Comes in a spray can, some use it to clean car dashboards.

Last edited by Andyrondack; 02-20-2021 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:42 PM

You people really complicate this maintenance business. Try the Keep It Simple Stupid, or KISS principle. It is as follows: If it moves and shouldn’t, wrap it with duct tape. If it doesn’t move and it should, spray it with WD 40. There you go! 95 percent of your mechanical maintenance problems are solved.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD