The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-14-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
OK so that is now showing correctly

So bacK to your OP First I think overall your track sounds pretty good. And I think your vocal sounds fine. It could perhaps use some very slight compression But what exactly is it you find difficult about recording a vocal ?
Thank you for listening!
It’s not really difficult, but hard to make it sound good
I notice this as I use large diaphragm condensers, they generally sound good, but of course
they are generally also sensitive.

I, and the listener, can hear plosives, sibilance and sometimes unwanted raspiness.
Deessers, I have not yet had succes with them as plugins, but I’m learning, slowly.
And about compressors, learning them too.
The song I showed actually already is quite compressed as is.
Cheers,
Lars
Old 03-14-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
I, and the listener, can hear plosives, sibilance and sometimes unwanted raspiness.
Deessers, I have not yet had succes with them as plugins, but I’m learning, slowly.
A lot of that comes down to your singing technique (and natural voice). If you aren't a trained vocalist, some voice lessons could help.

Mic technique can also help. One trick is to not point the mic straight at you, but slightly off to the side (and/or positioning it slightly above or below your mouth). That prevents the air from going straight into the mic and getting a bit off-axis where the high-frequency hiss might be down a dB or two.

I've actually found that a plugin like Oeksound Soothe works better than actual de-ess plugins I've tried.... but sometimes, the only way to really get the result you want is to manually go in and automate the level of sibilants and plosives.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
A lot of that comes down to your singing technique (and natural voice). If you aren't a trained vocalist, some voice lessons could help.

Mic technique can also help. One trick is to not point the mic straight at you, but slightly off to the side (and/or positioning it slightly above or below your mouth). That prevents the air from going straight into the mic and getting a bit off-axis where the high-frequency hiss might be down a dB or two.

I've actually found that a plugin like Oeksound Soothe works better than actual de-ess plugins I've tried.... but sometimes, the only way to really get the result you want is to manually go in and automate the level of sibilants and plosives.
Good advice Chipotle.
Yes, I’m aware of different mic positioning and I’m experimenting.
So far, I’ve had most success with gain automation.
Thanks for the tip ’bout the plugin, I’ll check it out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD