The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-03-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Better seller protection - Reverb or Paypal?

I'm going to be selling an item As-Is on Reverb but the buyer offered to use PayPal goods and services as a stand-alone outside of Reverb. My worry is that potential 6-month return nightmare that I've heard about via Paypal.

Would Reverb rules supersede PayPal as far as returns? I just don't want to run into a situation months down the line where a buyer claims not as described via PayPal forcing me to take the item back. I would think Reverb would complete in 7 days max even with an As-Is transaction. Any tips or thoughts?
Old 06-03-2020, 02:25 PM

I've been listing on Craigslist or Facebook. It's only a local audience of course but it eliminates the PayPal risks. With Paypal, not only could you be forced to make a refund, but they will still keep their commission.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I've been listing on Craigslist or Facebook. It's only a local audience of course but it eliminates the PayPal risks. With Paypal, not only could you be forced to make a refund, but they will still keep their commission.
I've been trying local but no bites. I wondered if using Reverb instead of Paypal would prevent those sorts of forced refunds a month or two after the sale.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I'm going to be selling an item As-Is on Reverb but the buyer offered to use PayPal goods and services as a stand-alone outside of Reverb. My worry is that potential 6-month return nightmare that I've heard about via Paypal.

Would Reverb rules supersede PayPal as far as returns? I just don't want to run into a situation months down the line where a buyer claims not as described via PayPal forcing me to take the item back. I would think Reverb would complete in 7 days max even with an As-Is transaction. Any tips or thoughts?
If it's listed on Reverb now, don't bypass them because then you'll have no protection. If this is not the case, tell the buyer you will invoice him for the object via PayPal. Include the fact that it's an "as-is" sale and not returnable. That should cover any potential buyer's remorse problems.

BTW - I've never heard of any "6-month return" scenario you mentioned.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Yes, good advice so far. Make sure you have a paper trail with an invoice, and emails back and forth stating that the sale is "as is", no refund, exchange, return, etc., and with confirmation from the purchaser that the terms are accepted.. If you are shipping, make sure it's to a PayPal "confirmed address," and of course require signature confirmation. Take photos before and during packing, so no claim can be made that the item wasn't as described.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic