The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Skylights? Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone have leaks?

We are doing a home extension and I was wondering what people's experiences are with skylights?

I know leaks are usually from poor installation.

Anyone have good or bad experiences? What about motorized ones?

Thanks!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 06-02-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

I've been in my condo with two skylights for twenty years and I haven't had any problems. Mine can crank open but we don't ever open them. I'm in the mid west where we have extreme weather in both directions.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-02-2020, 06:01 PM

I lived in a house with 9 skylights. 9. With quality ones the biggest issue is roof cleaners. They know better, but just don't give **** so water rains down into your house... Now I'm talking from the perspective of the Pacific Northwest. I don't know how often roofs get cleaned in the rest of the country.

The wildest thing is full moon, clear winter nights when snow is on the trees. You can read a book by the light that comes through!

But in general, if competently installed, and "organic material" is not allowed to buildup under the cap or flashing, you're good. But a roof cleaner with a pressure washer can ruin your week. I remember one time I called a company and asked if they were experienced with skylights, and they responded "we recommend you put a tarp under your skylight". I almost said "B-word (it was a male), I got nine motherhubbard skylights!"
Old 06-02-2020, 06:21 PM

Properly installed, skylights will not leak.
I’ve installed plenty of ‘em, nary a problem.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:30 PM

Added two skylights to our house in California, one in a dark hallway, on in a bathroom. Really enjoyed them. No problems with them in the 22 years we lived there.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:52 PM

I've been putting skylights in projects as an architect and general contractor for clients and myself for over 30 years now. I only use Velux brand.......I don't even consider any other brand.
Velux only makes skylights and they have made them idiot proof......and there are a lot of idiots out there.
They provide prefabricated flashing kits with each skylight made for each application they are intended for. If you follow their instructions to the letter they won't leak.

Last edited by architype; 06-02-2020 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

I have four skylights on a moderately steep roof and three on a fairly shallow roof slope. I have had trouble with leaks on one of the skylights on the shallow roof. It will probably have to be replaced one of these years.

I have to go up on my roof several times a year to clean the windows. In the fall I have to go up there to get the leaves off the roof. If I allow leaves to pile up on the high side of the skylights, I will get leaks, particularly on the one window that has exhibited problems. I use a leaf blower on a low air-flow setting to clean the leaves from the skylights. I am careful how I use the blower on the shingles. I don't like going up on the roof, but it's necessary. I could pay someone else to do it, but I am very careful and doing it myself saves me a fair amount of money.

Skylights make such a difference in terms of letting light in here in the cloudy and rainy Pacific Northwest that in spite of the problems I still think it is worth having them. But they do require more work to maintain them, at least in my situation.

- Glenn
Old 06-02-2020, 08:19 PM

My observation is that too many of them cause trouble after some time. Me? I'll go for windows every time.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Back when I was a design build contractor, I installed a number of skylights in remodels, always used Velux brand ones, and never had a problem. They can be a very nice way to bring in light, and the screened ones can be great for ventilation on hot days.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-03-2020, 05:12 AM

My parents once owned a house with several skylights. They never had problems with leaks, but the excessive noise that a hard rain pounding on them caused was enough for them to declare that their next home would not have skylights (and it didn't). It's worth mentioning that living in south Florida where they were, means that hard rains pretty much happen daily, so it was an all too common occurrence.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-03-2020, 07:56 AM

Put two Velux in a couple of dark rooms a few years ago. Made all the difference in the world.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:19 AM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

Only downside is if you have intense hot sun the heat is very much a problem in the immediate area of installation.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

... retired builder here...lots of experience installing skylights over the years...no you can’t go wrong with Velux skylights but there are other quality skylights available and some are both easier to install and less expensive...they do however require curbs to be built up on the roof.....important to use glass as acrylic skylights will haze up over time...

...with regards to the interior finish...a pleasing well design is something to consider and can make a big difference in the finished look....
Old 06-03-2020, 10:04 AM

I’ve had or had relatives with approximately 6 of them over the years. They all had issues of some sort. I’d never put them in a house I was building or remodeling.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

We built a house 20 years ago. Our builder (and friend) wanted nothing to do with skylights, and we trusted his judgment. But the family room is quite dark, and the topic still comes up at times.

He also didn't want to put a bathroom over the garage for fear that some idiot (me) would leave the garage door open on a subzero night and freeze the pipes. My wife won that argument, and so far the worst that has happened is a little slush in the pipes one cold morning

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic