The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-01-2020, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Default A little faith restored in humanity

I am not talking politics nor anything about the awfulness of the past few days.

But I wanted to share this news snippet that shows some goodness out there

Good news story *HERE*

But many of these protests are peaceful, including Sunday's in Niagara Falls. A crowd gathered around the Niagara Falls Police Department. Chants and calls for justice made across from law enforcement; and at one point, dancing breaks out.

At the end of the night, protesters dispersed but not before lining up and thanking the officers that stopped and listened to what they had to say.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-01-2020, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Great to see people fighting hate with love!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-01-2020, 10:36 AM

In our main area of residence the same groups that started peaceful protests have been both kind to the police and organizing volunteers to cleanup and repair damage from the distinctly different group of troublemakers who turned out.

I've said it a lot here, beware of negativity bias and availability heuristic. On the whole, and world-wide, we homo sapiens keep doing better.

@flagstaffcharli said it well in past day or so. We can do things to make the world better.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Peacefulness and staying alive is not news. It's normal. It's when they die and people get upset that people take notice.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-01-2020, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Peacefulness and staying alive is not news. It's normal. It's when they die and people get upset that people take notice.
Yessir! Here in the Twin Cities, there are all manner of groups, church and otherwise, people of all ages and races, cleaning up the damaged parts of town, distributing food, taking food collections, etc. because many people can't get to food stores. Often, the food stores in their neighborhoods have been destroyed over the last few days and the busses and light rail have not been running.

On the other hand, at night we have people burning and looting. A society is held together by agreements as to how we are to conduct ourselves. We should expect that ALL FOUR of the cops involved in George Floyd's death should be charged accordingly, just as we should expect only peaceful protests.

Peaceful protestors have been stay9ing out past the 8 PM curfew, and the law has been allowing them an extra half hour to disperse and go home. Those that don't get arrested. At least last night near our neighborhood, the protestors took peacefully to the arrests. Several protestors were able to stop those who wanted to start violence yesterday, so let's hope that continues.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by Lkristians; 06-01-2020 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Incendiary
Old 06-01-2020, 03:53 PM

One never seems to be in ideology, the way other people are. This makes it easy to blame them. Not that one does, of course—that would be rude.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:59 AM

People are excellent, by and large. We're only surprised by displays of human decency because so much effort is spent on trying to persuade us otherwise.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:32 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

I happened to be in Manhattan back in I think 2002 when the US and it's allies were gearing up for the declaration of war on Iraq.

Purely by accident on the weekend I encountered a column of what appeared to be thousands of people marching up one of the main streets of the island.

There seemed to be a great deal of anger in that crowd, they did not look like happy people at all. The police were heavily present but maintaining an alert distance from the protesters. Although it was not friendly atmosphere it appeared that everyone knew what the boundaries were.

This seemed to me to be the way to conduct a serious demonstration of thousands.

But the surprising point of the story is that although this was a massive protest in the centre of possibly the USA's most influential city, it did not seem to get any coverage on any of the TV networks that night - at all. Maybe this was because no-one got injured or any property was vandalised.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic