The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-23-2019, 02:54 AM

Default Hands free page turner foot pedals

Hi Guys n Gals
I want to change over from paper printout of lyrics & chords to have these on an Android pad, with page turning controlled by a hands-free bluetooth footswitch/pedals.
Looking at the following, anyone got good or bad experiences with any of these. Which pedal would you recommend:
1) Airturn Duo 200
2) Coda Music Stomp Bluetooth
3) Pageflip Firefly or Butterfly

Also re songs & chords, which App do ye guys use for Android tablet? I’m considering:
1) Songbook
2) Songbook Pro
3) GuitarTapp ChordPro
4) NextPage
5) MusicNotes

And lastly, the tablet itself. I would like as big a screen as possible with clear and high resolution so I can read my music clearly and easily, even in low light like in pub. And it has to have ‘Bluetooth Smart Ready’ capability. I’m considering the following:
1) Samsung S5E Tab 10.5” 64GB
2) Samsung Tab A 10.5” 32GB
3) Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite 10.1” 32GB
4) Apple iPad Air 10.5” 64GB
Any other suggested Tabs? I can use IT but not very savvy, so just wondering does the tab have to have high processing speed to be able to react quickly to turn page when I need it turned. And does it need to have a lot of storage (64GB or 128GB) or would lower storage do with these apps (like 32 GB).

Thanks in advance folks 
Regards
Barry
Old 12-23-2019, 08:08 AM

You don't need to worry too much about memory size if you don't use the tablet for anything else, and all have an SD card slot so you can insert a 64G card into it.

I just got an RCA Windows tablet (detachable keyboard) and I'm interested in the Bluetooth page turners, too. Reviews on Amazon are over the place.
My concern is also battery life in the turner - I want to be able to set it up before the gig, and keep it on the whole time, so needs at least 4 hours of battery life.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-23-2019, 08:48 AM

There's no issue with the tablet as you can put thousands of pages of material on a tablet. Short answer is I use the PageFlip Firefly and it works great. Long answer is go up to the search tab and search on page turners and you'll get a lot of threads that cover this that you can read over an over.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Hi Gilly,

First, welcome to the AGF! I hope you like it here. This is a good community with a lot of very knowledgeable people who treat each other with respect. The BE NICE rule reigns here and the moderators make sure of that.

Regarding your question, I am not an expert in this area but THIS is a recent thread on the subject.

- Glenn
Old 12-23-2019, 02:11 PM

I have the PageFlip Butterfly. It does work with SongBook and NextPage, but not sure about GuitarTap or MusicNotes. It is compatible with iPad and Android apps. I have no complaints about it, except that it doesn't scroll, which I think I would have preferred over the turning of the page.

If you want a big screen, what about an iPad Pro, which has a 12.9" screen? It is expensive though.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Hello! Merry Christmas to you and welcome! I have an iPad Air and have used OnSong along with the BT-105 AirTurn for the last many years. I have a large folder of charts and have never had an issue with either.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 12-24-2019, 06:37 AM

I use an Airturn PedPro, OnSong and an iPad Air. I recently picked up a 10.2" iPad 7th Gen for $229 and could use that if I wanted to go a little bigger, but haven't found that necessary.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic