The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Default I need help identifying this guitar

I've got an old Montgomery Ward guitar that I've never been able to properly identify. I've been told by different people that it could range anywhere from circa 1920 up to the 40's.
The tag on the inside of the guitar says:
Montgomery Ward & Co
"The Marlboro"
Chicago

There is the number "2932" stamped under the neck also on the inside of the guitar.

I was hoping someone here might have a better idea of exactly what this guitar is than I do.

https://imgur.com/a/xPlSC7N
Old 09-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Lyon & Healy and Washburn made guitars for Montgomery Ward and possibly Larson.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:19 PM

Howdy, with that body binding, to me it looks older rather than newer. Washburn/Lyon & Healy did use a similar binding on many of their instruments.

That said, I’m not sure it’s possible to determine exactly which of Montgomery Wards’ subcontractors built that guitar. One person who might be able to be able to give you a bit more certainty, though, is Neil Harpe. He’s a fan, collector and very accomplished player of old parlor guitars, specializing in Stellas.

If you do a Google search on Neil Harpe and Stella guitars you should be able to find his website easily enough. Send him some photos and he can give you a better idea of what you have.

One thing I will say is that I doubt that this guitar was built after the mid-1930’s, and I suspect that it’s older than that. It also looks like a fairly high quality instrument for a store brand guitar, and was probably one of their more expensive models.

But check with Neil and see what he can tell you.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-08-2019, 10:34 AM

Default I know I'm older

But I do not recall a Montgomery Ward Marlboro being made by Lyon&Healy nor Washburn it is very similar for some of it but does not match any catalog pics or description.
The sound hole inlay is something I have never seen before and I have been watching and looking at so many Washburns ( vintage ) and have consultated with Hubert Pleijsier over the years.
It does have more similarities with the Lakeside Lyon&Healy then any others and they were made aound the 1897-1900.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:00 PM

Definitely a Washburn (George Washburn Lyon) bridge.

http://www.solie.org/earlsguitars/wash1.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEzd7TkH9fU
Old 09-09-2019, 07:55 AM

Default Sorry but no

There were other makers using and making this bridge besides and I still do not find any refrences to the name Marlboro from Lyon&Healy nor Washburn and also the label is unfamiliar to any others and looks to be in to pristine of condition and far to white to be that old .Just saying. It might be under the Larson brand which I do not know a lot about but Washburns I do.And that bluebox info is wrong Washburn was bought back in 1973/4 by Beckmen musical instruments not 1964

Last edited by ship of fools; 09-09-2019 at 08:08 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-09-2019, 10:07 AM

Washburn - have one simalar but mine has a bigger body- ( sold threw montgomery ward )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
antique, montgomery ward, vintage acoustic