The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2019, 04:46 PM

Default Loose and Low: My string vs. sing challenge

I'm a songwriter and a decent guitarist, but no virtuoso. I write on acoustic guitar and am as visual in my approach as I am audible/musical.

Because I'm "visual" sometimes a song develops in a bad register for me as a singer, and sometimes a capo doesn't help. The song builds around how and where I'm able to play it (I like to use open strings and that locks me into certain chord fingerings, neck positions, etc.).

I play a dreadnaught guitar with phosphor bronze Light strings. I play fingerstyle, in some ways similar to James Taylor. I rely on my actual fingernails and get more percussive/dynamic than Taylor does.

MY QUESTIONS
For one song in particular I find it necessary to lower the entire tuning by one full step. I drop from standard E tuning down to D. At that point my strings are loose and dull with reduced sustain and no brightness. I'm not liking it.

What's my best string choice for staying as close as possible to my typical sound? Would a heavier string help, say a phosphor bronze Medium? Perhaps something other than phosphor bronze?

I'm not lazy (much). My guitar has a "small problem" that makes it a bear to change strings, so I don't want to swap a bunch of sets in an out just hoping I luck into the right tone and playability...

Thanks
Old 08-01-2019, 04:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

What is the ‘small’ problem that makes for hard string changes?

Howard
Old 08-01-2019, 05:00 PM

I bought it used and didn't realize the original owner had enlarged the bridge pin holes for some custom pins. He removed the correct custom pins and swapped back in the originals that are too small in diameter. WuttaJerk...

So I have NO bridge pins. Instead I use a set of little aluminum washers under the bridge. The hole in each washer is slightly smaller than the string's ball end, so each washer keeps the ball end in place under the bridge and connects the string to the bridge acoustically. It works well and sounds good, but is a PIA for string changes.

So how does this help me with my loose strings problem...?

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-02-2019 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Deleted comment on moderator action
Old 08-01-2019, 05:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

It helps by getting oversized bridge pins so that there’s one less excuse not to experiment with strings.

Yes, you can absolutely use a set of medium phosphor bronze. There’s nothing brighter anyway.

Let us know how it works out.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 08-01-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BothHands View Post
I'm a songwriter and a decent guitarist, but no virtuoso... Because I'm "visual" sometimes a song develops in a bad register for me as a singer, and sometimes a capo doesn't help. The song builds around how and where I'm able to play it (I like to use open strings and that locks me into certain chord fingerings, neck positions, etc.).

For one song in particular I find it necessary to lower the entire tuning by one full step. I drop from standard E tuning down to D. At that point my strings are loose and dull with reduced sustain and no brightness...

What's my best string choice for staying as close as possible to my typical sound?...My guitar has a "small problem" that makes it a bear to change strings, so I don't want to swap a bunch of sets in an out just hoping I luck into the right tone and playability...
Leave your present guitar at home - get one of these and a good capo:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-d-scale-black

Mediums will get your down to C# (think Leo Kottke), heavies to C, and the right baritone set to low B or low A (you might need to enlarge the fifth and sixth-string bridge holes - check with your tech first), which should cover both your visual and sonic needs...
Old 08-01-2019, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Mediums on a dred should be fine. You won't know until you try but just beware, you'll have heavier gauge (i.e. fatter) strings on, tuned down (floppier). if you have very low action you might develop string/fret buzz. Give it try. If that happens and you think you'll want/need this long term, you may want your guitar re-set a bit. Also, IMO 80/20s are brighter than Phos Bronz.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
Mediums on a dred should be fine. You won't know until you try but just beware, you'll have heavier gauge (i.e. fatter) strings on, tuned down (floppier). if you have very low action you might develop string/fret buzz. Give it try. If that happens and you think you'll want/need this long term, you may want your guitar re-set a bit. Also, IMO 80/20s are brighter than Phos Bronz.
80-20's are brighter than PB's, but depending on how often and the hours you play, not for long.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-02-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BothHands View Post
I bought it used and didn't realize the original owner had enlarged the bridge pin holes for some custom pins. He removed the correct custom pins and swapped back in the originals that are too small in diameter. WuttaJerk...

So I have NO bridge pins. Instead I use a set of little aluminum washers under the bridge. The hole in each washer is slightly smaller than the string's ball end, so each washer keeps the ball end in place under the bridge and connects the string to the bridge acoustically. It works well and sounds good, but is a PIA for string changes.
For the price of a couple of sets of strings, you can have the holes professionally made smaller to fit standard bridge pins. Take the instrument to a professional repair person, spend $30 or so, and have it fixed. It's an easy repair for a professional.

Then, experiment with strings till you find the one's you like.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:01 AM

Note also that that your nut slots may need to be enlarged to accommodate thicker strings.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
detune, loose, strings, whole step down